Question about types of luggage

Sayyadina

Hello!

I'm going to be luggage shopping shortly, and I seem to remember someone saying that the hanging-style of garment bags were not really a good idea, but can't remember why. I really like these bags, especially that most of them you can fold it half, secure, and carry like a suitcase.

Can someone fill me in on this?

I agree with Jim....nothing really beats an old style hanging garment bag that you can carry on the plane or easily hang in your car if you're driving to port. The problem is that it's harder and harder to carry stuff on a plane and if they can't find a place to hang it for you it winds up getting stuffed in an overhead. We've gone back to the wheeled luggage bag type garment bags. Two things seem to help minimize, though not totally stop, wrinkles. One, pack them full, the fuller and tighter the better. Two, use the dry cleaning bags as separators between the clothing. Seems to allow them to slip around a bit and not get caught on the next piece. Oh....three....take some wrinkle release....works pretty good and you don't have to break the "no iron" rules. :) All of our luggage for cruising is soft sided....easier to put under the bed.

Watching what luggage handlers (including those at airports, hotels, docks, etc.) do to the folding garment bags was enough to help me decide Never!! I've seen them literally stuffed between suitcases, thrown on the bottom of a cart with 10 suitcases piled on top, and have watched them fall off carts without notice by the owner or the luggage handler. Just my observations. Also, when you decide what you want you might check out ebags, really good pricing - especially if you can find what you want in the clearance sale

Watching what luggage handlers (including those at airports, hotels, docks, etc.) do to the folding garment bags was enough to help me decide Never!! I've seen them literally stuffed between suitcases, thrown on the bottom of a cart with 10 suitcases piled on top, and have watched them fall off carts without notice by the owner or the luggage handler. Just my observations. Also, when you decide what you want you might check out ebags, really good pricing - especially if you can find what you want in the clearance sale

Fortunately, we're driving to the port and not taking a plane. I will check out ebags, thanks!

Jody

I recently splurged on some Samsonite spinner luggage. Inside my soft-sided case is a sort of nylon garment bag thingy which is designed to be folded in thirds and packed inside the case. There are even little bolster dood-dads to prevent creasing at those tri-fold points. Whatever you do, though, pressing services on HAL are really quite reasonable, so if anything of mine is too wrinkled to wear, I send it out to be pressed.

Cheers,

Friday

Hello!

I'm going to be luggage shopping shortly, and I seem to remember someone saying that the hanging-style of garment bags were not really a good idea, but can't remember why. I really like these bags, especially that most of them you can fold it half, secure, and carry like a suitcase.

Can someone fill me in on this?

The only problem we encounter is that neither hotel rooms nor cruise ship staterooms have hanging hooks for garment bags.:confused:

Airlines use to take your hanging bags and place them in these sturdy corrugated paper boxes....I know because I kept one for many many years for my Christmas paper storage...

Now with all the discounts, snack only flights, cheaper small area seats, etc. Airlines do not go to the same measures for you.

Just a thought from years ago.

I would go for the hanging them in the bag referred above.

LHC

Archived