Viking Star is coming to the UK

Staffordshirecruiser

On 8/10/2021 at 5:33 PM, Heidi13 said:

I noted in the Viking Daily that purchases and services are subject to VAT. Is that all onboard purchases - drinks, shops, shore-ex?

I expect all CL are guilty of not understanding the rules on VAT. 

I've just got off Scarlet Lady. They added VAT to the whole of day one "as we were still in port and within 12 miles"...... which would have been fine, but according to marine traffic, were way past that limit. So I'd suggest it was done to make things easier. They charged VAT on everything AFAICS - and probably even things that were non taxable.

I can remember being on Carnival Vista in the Med. They couldnt have got it more wrong if they tried. People with drinks packages were given their drinks, but then charged VAT (rate dependant and country just visited), which is crazy. If something costs nothing to buy, 0 x 20% is 0. I suspect that was a nice little earner and possible nothing to do with ignorance. 

Good question..... Hopefully someone on board can clarify how they charged daily and if it changed. I suspect Virgin's model above, was nearer to what should happen, but as Viking is calling at ports, it will complicate things.

Re VAT.

The price shown for drinks and drinks package and excustions is what you pay. 

The shops charge 20% vat on top of price shown. The jewelry shop has a vat discount construction, saw a sign saying something about they charge vat but give equivalent discount on the price or something similar.

Shops are only open when at sea.

20210816_195136.jpg

Hello to everyone currently onboard, especially those of you doing back-to- backs into next week. We look forward to joining you on Saturday 😎  

I was wondering if one of you could estimate or discover the way the Chef's Table menu rotation will run on into next week. We are not so concerned what the menus will be (we have enjoyed all we have tried so far!) but would just like to know, if possible, on which days the menu will be changed. 

Thanks in advance.

I would like to put another question to those on a back to back if I may? Is there any word on shore excursions for Holyhead? We join on Saturday but no shore excursions were available up to Sunday when MVJ was effectively closed down.

1 hour ago, John117 said:

I would like to put another question to those on a back to back if I may? Is there any word on shore excursions for Holyhead? We join on Saturday but no shore excursions were available up to Sunday when MVJ was effectively closed down.

We got sent something. It mentioned a tour of the old fort and bustling town plus the maritime museum.

We know the Island well living nearby in fact we go camping there regularly. It's a beautiful place with many possibilities. However Holyhead is not it's best feature to say the least.

5 hours ago, photopro2 said:

Hello to everyone currently onboard, especially those of you doing back-to- backs into next week. We look forward to joining you on Saturday 😎  

I was wondering if one of you could estimate or discover the way the Chef's Table menu rotation will run on into next week. We are not so concerned what the menus will be (we have enjoyed all we have tried so far!) but would just like to know, if possible, on which days the menu will be changed. 

Thanks in advance.

The menu(s) are in post 226 above and the rotation is Asian Panorama, Great Britain, Lotus.

Thanks Boxman 52 for the info on Holyhead. The excursion does not sound too exciting. I guess that will be a walking tour from the tender drop off point. We were looking forward to Douglas IOM as we have never been there but I think Holyhead will be another "sea day" for us. I suppose it saves Viking having to pay us any compensation as they did for the 7th August cruise?

I was looking forward to the Isle of Man too not having been there since a child

Holyhead is a strange choice but could work if the trip was further than Holyhead. Lots of excellent places to visit on the Island or in the mountains

Seems a bit lazy to me

On 8/18/2021 at 6:06 PM, aimhigh said:

The menu(s) are in post 226 above and the rotation is Asian Panorama, Great Britain, Lotus.

Slight correction to your comments. We've just disembarked Viking Star and they have a new menu in the rotation called "La Route des Indes" which features the warm spices associated with the original spice route from the East Indes. We dined on Thursday 19th and that was the first night of that rotation. So that menu would be available 19th, 20th and 21st (tonight).

Not sure if they are going to retain that menu with the  Best of British and Asian or whether that change signaled a new departure into other features. Perhaps those currently on board will be able to confirm or refute. 

Edit:- Just found La Route des Indes mentioned in a post back in 2019 so it is a standard one for Viking:-

1219216013_IMG_5817CT-WestIndiesMenu(2).jpg.0d067de1a7f0da52b8b36dc1c0a1bd61.jpg

Edited by arlowood

3 minutes ago, aimhigh said:

Hi @arlowood, we have just boarded the 21 Aug cruise and all indications are that the rotation is as I posted earlier (Asian Panorama is this evening). Will let you know!

OK - update when you know more. We certainly ate La Route des Indes  menu on Thursday evening. Maybe it was a one-off

Hi Staffordshirecruiser

It went well.  We took your advice and Peter dropped me at the terminal with the luggage and then went to park the car and in reverse today.   I think the assistance   on the ship was good compared to previous trip on Sea to the Caribbean in that they took my rollator up and down the gangplank and i walked up.   They were also helpful in the dining room.  We personally do not need assistance as Peter will carry the rollator but following complex surgery on his arm it is currently difficult.  It does worry me though for people on their own or where their partner is unable to assist.   

9 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi Mancunian

Just wondered how you got on on Star?  I think you will have disembarked by now and be on your way home?

We enjoyed the cruise particularly the Scilly and the Channel Islands but pity about the weather on other days particularly Portland.

We think in view of the uncertainty on international rules we are going to cancel our Malta trip the first week in October and transfer to a river cruise early 2023.  Next year is getting overbooked due to replacements for booked cruises and we have three Silversea cruises booked.

• Like 1

Hi Mancunian

I am so pleased it went well. I had been worrying about you on the gangplank.  I thought the crew would be very attentive to help you though, to give your hubby time to rest his arm until it is fully recovered. I am sure other passengers will also be ready to help when they see someone struggling.  We’re you ok with the checking in ‘tent’ or were you able to us the port building itself.  What did you like most about the cruise?  I keep looking at the Sep Silversea Southampton sailing, 

Home yesterday after our first Viking experience.  

The great stuff - beautiful ship, really good standard and plenty of cabin space even in the cheapest option.  Staff were fantastic and, because it was so quiet, had learned names and preferences by a couple of days.  Nothing was too much trouble.  Food was awesome.  Portsmouth port was a good experience, parking easy to find and use.

The negatives - it was really really quiet onboard to the point it was a bit spooky at times but that’s not Viking’s fault.  Having no freedom at shore stops was really frustrating (though I see it up to a point) as sitting on board for hours watching a port you wanted go and explore was a bit meh.   The standard of included tours was patchy, ditto the guides.  We had complete freedom to explore Tresco for 4 hours but next day in Falmouth I got rebuked for trying to buy a takeaway coffee during the one 30 minute stop … yet I could use the non too clean loos.

Given how long we were onboard there was a distinct lack of onboard activity.  Couple of 45 minute talks and something in the theatre a few times (at 8pm which is prime dinner time).  Most things there were were well attended so there was a definite need.  Apparently this is a Viking *thing* that we should just relax …maybe when you can fill your port days but otherwise it leaves a lot of sitting reading or knitting time.

Overall - nice relaxing week, loved the ship but we’ll probably not sail with them again unless they liven it up a bit especially on sea days.

Edited by Taunton Trotter
  • Like 1

Very envious of your interest in the Silver Spirit cruise in September.  We have three cruises booked on her next year.  I guess we like Silversea most with Oceania second and HAL and Viking joint third.

The thing we liked most on Star was the ship itself.  We liked the musicians  around the ship but hated the music in the theatre.   It is a wonder we have eardrums left.

I guess we did not like the food as much as on Silversea and Oceania, and indeed HAL.  Having said that we liked Manfredis and Mamsens very much.  We thought that for us there was really too little vegetables with main courses and having simple tastes had trouble making choices on occasion.

There we have it.  Horses for courses and all that.  I do not say we would never go with them again just that it is not as likely as the others.

We were desperate to go on a cruise and did not mind the restrictions too much.   We used the main terminal both arriving and leaving.. We did enjoy the rest

6 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi Mancunian

I am so pleased it went well. I had been worrying about you on the gangplank.  I thought the crew would be very attentive to help you though, to give your hubby time to rest his arm until it is fully recovered. I am sure other passengers will also be ready to help when they see someone struggling.  We’re you ok with the checking in ‘tent’ or were you able to us the port building itself.  What did you like most about the cruise?  I keep looking at the Sep Silversea Southampton sailing, 

• Like 2