No medical travel insurance in Canada for cruises

Kkate

I have been trying for the last week to get medical travel insurance for pre-existing conditions but I've been told no insurers in Canada will cover a cruise right now. Is anyone else having this problem or have any suggestions?

Is it possible that a credit card issuer may cover the trip itself?

Have you possibly tried calling the Insurance Bureau of Canada for input and recommendations, if any?

Good luck and bon voyage

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 5:28 PM, Kkate said:

I have been trying for the last week to get medical travel insurance for pre-existing conditions but I've been told no insurers in Canada will cover a cruise right now. Is anyone else having this problem or have any suggestions?

Yes, we have a cruise booked and fully paid for in December of this year.  The Federal Government still has an advisory in effect against cruising so we have been unable to get medical or trip cancellation insurance.  We've been told that, until the Gov't removes the advisory we can't get any insurance to cover a cruise.  Ironic in that they have announced that cruise ships can come into Canadian waters and ports effective Nov. 1 of this year but haven't removed the advisory against going on a ship.  I guess we just have to keep waiting but it's kind of a game of chicken as we wouldn't travel without medical insurance.  Apparently there will be more travel related announcements in August so fingers crossed that advisory will be removed and then insurance should be available. 

NCL's insurance covers cancellation and pre-existing conditions if they are stable for 60 days prior to departure. Between this and my credit card travel insurance I am hoping will be enough if I can't get Medical insurance yet. Fingers crossed.

On 7/6/2021 at 8:28 PM, Kkate said:

I’m having the same issue, I’ve posted on a few forums and I’m getting completely Mixed responses… some say nothing until Canada removes the no cruise advisory and some say they have been told yes you can or yes they have a policy that they’ve confirmed they are covered or will be when they book! I’ve spoke to a couple of company’s so far that people mentioned they have or will get cover from but I’m still being told no… so frustrating. 

it makes complete sense that no insurance will cover during the advisory but how are people confirming they have cover 🤷🏼‍♂️

On 7/24/2021 at 9:50 PM, Kkate said:

NCL's insurance covers cancellation and pre-existing conditions if they are stable for 60 days prior to departure. Between this and my credit card travel insurance I am hoping will be enough if I can't get Medical insurance yet. Fingers crossed.

You may want to double check whether your credit card covers.  A lot of credit card companies in Canada are not providing travel coverage during the pandemic.  Also I cruise with Crystal and I just looked at their travel insurance and one has to be a US resident....you may want to double check with NCL.

Now that I have been a Debbie Downer....my insurance company Johnson/Medoc will cover emergency medical for land, sea and air including for Covid-19 regardless of government travel advisories so for emergency travel you may wish to check with them.  However,  they cover trip delay, cancellation and interruption for everything except Covid-19 either directly or indirectly.  My concern if one tests positive for Covid at the embarkation rapid test.....and you can’t board the ship.....you can’t recoup cruise fare. 

The Canadian Snowbirds Association recommends Medipac insurance which has emergency medical coverage for Covid-19 regardless of government advisories.   I am trying to find out if they cover if one tests positive prior to getting on the ship for trip interruption.   You could try them for emergency medical.  Not sure if there are age restrictions for anyone who is younger than me!

Edited by Cancun01
  • Thanks 1

My BIL was a top manager for Allstate. He says if your condition is stable you're okay when it comes to pre-existing conditions. You don't want to change medications within 2 months of sailing though, or you'll be considered unstable, he says. But best to confirm with your insurance company.

Edited by Snowrose