Pricing -- list special v. booking

kcscrapper

WE were looking at the Azamara Onward 10 day Greece itinerary in July 2022 under the 60% off for 2nd guest.

The price on the web site shows $3,779 for a "plus" Veranda.  Doing the math under the 60% off for 2nd guest promo gets a 2nd person price of $1,511.60. Total $5,700 for 2 (including the port tax of $201. each.)

Okay -- run the "book now" on the web site and BOOM - the price for 2 pax in a VC stateroom (same number of the stateroom chosen in the first pricing estimate) is $7,402 - a PLUS stateroom is $7,900 -- $2,200 more.

We've run the query twice on 2 different computers, under 2 different accounts and both come up the substantial increase from the listed "bait" price. 

What am I missing here?

The $3,779 price includes the 60% off i.e. they confusingly show the net total per person as the price. So, the total you pay factors in a 60% discount for the second person, relative to the total price before the discount was introduced. They only make this clear when you go through the book now option - where it shows the total,price for 2 pax.

I guess the up front $3,779 includes a 30% discount for each person; which just makes the whole program confusing. I suspect many of us have been fooled into thinking the 60% is taken of the shown price. I sure was the first time.

• Like 4

Also note that a Veranda Plus cabin has several amenities not included in the basic Veranda cabin, and they seem to run about $750 more per room. There can be a lot of basic arithmetic involved to determine who is paying what for what. I've done the permutations, and it looks to me (math genius that I am), that the 60% deal is actually pretty good. We have done well in the past booking on board the ship for future cruising. They offer a very good discount along with a reduced deposit, but doing the math for several of those 2022 Onward Greek cruises, along with out Discoverer level status, the current 60% deal is actually better than what we could book on board later this Fall. Of course, I'm hoping prices change between then and now. Pre-Covid Azamara has had their double upgrade from inside room sale after labor day, so I'm not booking so fast. Hope this helps. OBTW: Greece in July is hotter than hell - beware. Plenty of May cruises if you can go at that time. (And Italy in August I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy)

19 hours ago, kcscrapper said:

WE were looking at the Azamara Onward 10 day Greece itinerary in July 2022 under the 60% off for 2nd guest.

The price on the web site shows $3,779 for a "plus" Veranda.  Doing the math under the 60% off for 2nd guest promo gets a 2nd person price of $1,511.60. Total $5,700 for 2 (including the port tax of $201. each.)

Okay -- run the "book now" on the web site and BOOM - the price for 2 pax in a VC stateroom (same number of the stateroom chosen in the first pricing estimate) is $7,402 - a PLUS stateroom is $7,900 -- $2,200 more.

We've run the query twice on 2 different computers, under 2 different accounts and both come up the substantial increase from the listed "bait" price. 

What am I missing here?

As @AJCM said the website is showing the list price accounting for the discount.  It definitely confused me the first few times I ran into that.  The only real way to calculate the discount is if you have been watching the prices from before the sale.  (Not really possible with these Onward trips.)  I have a Nov. 2022 cruise on pursuit which I have been watching since January of this year: for that cruise the 60% off is real.