Military duty!

Browneyedhunni85

Does anyone know if you get deployed to do military service for the U.S.A will they refund you your money for the cruise? I'm not sure if he MUST have Travel insurance in order for this to take place. My boyfriend is in the Army and needs to know if he needs to purchase Travel Insurance. Thanks!!

While I cannot answer your question about the military it is my opinion that everyone needs cruise insurance unless you can afford the loss of money. You just never know when something might happen. My daughter was in a car wreck right before our last cruise and we could never have predicted that would happen.

Thank your boyfriend for his service to our country, it is much appreciated.

Mary

Well my mom just got off the phone with the TA and she said that Travel Insurance will not cover if he got deployed. That it only covers sickness. I think thats a crook. Its sad that a man can serve his country and possibly get deployed and they will NOT refund his money if he has insurance. I just hope in the mean time that doesnt happen. I would feel heart broken if he wasnt apart of the cruise.

Browneyed--Check the coverage on some of the cruiseline issued policies, not sure which line you are on, but most of them have an "any reason" cancelation which gives you up to 90% back as a credit on a future cruise. Still double check that it would cover deployment, however.

Does anyone know if you get deployed to do military service for the U.S.A will they refund you your money for the cruise? I'm not sure if he MUST have Travel insurance in order for this to take place. My boyfriend is in the Army and needs to know if he needs to purchase Travel Insurance. Thanks!!

Check with a Travel Agent selling Itravelinsured insurance. It does have a clause that states it will cover you if his leave is cancelled for active duty military.

Dave

additionally, check with the cruise line directly.. they may be willing to offer credit/rebook with no penalty if he gets deployed.

ANY contract entered into by a military member needs to have a clause in it that does not penalize them for factors out of their control such as deployments or other duties. Of course, get it in writing to be sure it will be honored. From cell phone contracts to lease agreements to vacations in the exoctic Caribbean, we have to be proactive, cuz lord knows the military is NOTHING if not unpredictable...

I found this on a website:

Q. I am in the military. What if I am called to duty or denied leave?

A. If your leave is denied because of declared or undeclared war, all policies will exclude that reason. There are several companies that address military leave or being called to duty in one form or another: Access America, Travel Guard - Cruise, Tour & Travel plan, Travel Insured, TravelSafe and Travelex all have "perils" that touch on this.

Sometimes the cruiselines will waive the cxl penalties for active duty military, IF the call to a new duty station was not anticipated (eg...not a normal rotation).

Sometimes you are also covered under the Soldiers' and Sailors' Act.

Yes we checked with our TA and she said insurance would not cover deployment only if he got sick.

Is it possible your TA is still quoting the cruiseline insurance? Most of the policies being spoken about are third-party insurers. If your TA is NOT willing to work with you, try http://www.insuremytrip.com. You can purchase it yourself but read through the policies. Some have clauses such as this:

Revocation of leave

"Such revocation must be in writing by a superior officer and must not be due to a base or unit mobilization, unit or personal reassignment for any reason (whether temporary or permanent), or disciplinary action."

To me this verbiage sucks, because if the leave is going to be revoked, it will definitely be for one of these reasons that is not covered.:mad:

Dave

I had a similiar situation but with an airline ticket. I was due to fly to London on the day we invaded Afghanistan. I called the airline, and they said I needed to provide them with the installation I worked at and the name of the commander with phone number, I was reimbursed the cost of my ticket and they never did contact my commander. I would talk directly with the cruise line.

My guess is that the cruise line would offer you a refund or at least a credit - the bad publicy it would generate about not giving a refund to someone called to active duty would be, well, bad.

By company has a standard "No Refunds, No Exchanges, No Exceptions" policy, but tell me you've been called to active duty (with proof) and I alwasy refund tickets.

My brother was Navy and he never had trouble with leases, contracts or tickets when he got tapped to go.

I spent 20 years in the Navy myself, and never had a problem breaking a lease, etc because I got orders to go somewhere else. The contract may say "no refunds" but I always got one anyway. I never had to try and get the $$ back for a cruise, but did have to cancel some package deals that supposedly were non refundable. I had to get a bit "direct" once, but that was the exception. No business wants to find themselves on "60 Minutes" or the "ABC/CBS/NBC Evening News" because they won't "support the troops":p

Cruise insurance is always a good idea, just because so many things can come up besides military service.

If your boyfriend belongs to USAA (if he's in the military he knows who they are) they offer travel insurance that DOES COVER deployment.

That is really good to know. I always buy trip insurance and never considered checking with USAA. Thanks for that tidbit!

Archived