Canadian Carnival Cruisers - A Question for You!!

lesters

We don't cruise for a few months (and hoping things change more by then)... but curious how things are going now.  Any issues with whatever card your province has issued for your proof of vaccination?  Ours in Saskatchewan aren't exactly super official looking to someone outside the province I'm sure - names and dates handwritten on the card.  I can show proof of vaccine on our EHealth Account with SaskHealth but again... if you aren't from around here I'm curious how our info appears the Carnival staff checking you in.

Also - are you able to book/purchase a PCR test on board or are you staying a few extra days to get the test before heading home?

Thanks all!!!

Not cruising until December but thank you for asking. I will be following to hear the responses.

In regards to the PCR test most of the airports do the test for a fee and the results come back within an hour.

The cost seems to be between $79 - $179. I would just google PCR test and whatever airport you are flying out of.

To leave Canada and enter the U.S. you can get a PCR test at Shoppers Drug Mart and the cost is $199.

So you don't need to stay later as long as you have time to get the test and board your flight the same day.

I have been reading the Carnival section and it seems like they do not do testing but someone did post about Carnival giving them a PCR on a B2B, but I'm not sure if they are vaccinated or not. (Currently only unvaccinated passengers need a PCR test before boarding).

21 minutes ago, lesters said:

This morning on John Heald’s  FB page he indicated we are not able to arrange for testing while onboard.  Hopefully by February this is no longer an issue. 

I watched John Heald's Facebook video and it seems like the CDC requires those cruising longer then 7 days to get a test half way through. He said that Carnival will be testing free of charge passengers on B2B cruises.

But that doesn't help us.

You only need an antigen rapid test to enter the US from Canada, not a PCR test.

To return to Canada from the US, it doesn't have to be a PCR test, you can also use a NAAT Rapid ID NOW test. There is a list on the Govt website of all approved test:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada#getting-tested

Edited by ilovetotravel1977
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

You only need an antigen rapid test to enter the US from Canada, not a PCR test.

Thank you for clarifying. I had read the website wrong. That test only costs $40. 🙂

Also, you can get these NAAT Rapid ID NOW tests for FREE with same day results at Walgreens throughout the US post-cruise.

I messaged both Royal and Carnival about on-ship testing for Canadians and Royal said they would assist with that (didn't mention fee or free) and Carnival said no they would not.  I have heard that Carnival is assisting with it until August, so just for the start-up cruises.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Also, you can get these NAAT Rapid ID NOW tests for FREE with same day results at Walgreens throughout the US post-cruise.

I messaged both Royal and Carnival about on-ship testing for Canadians and Royal said they would assist with that (didn't mention fee or free) and Carnival said no they would not.  I have heard that Carnival is assisting with it until August, so just for the start-up cruises.

Can you post a link to the Walgreens test? When I search for this information it indicated you need a U.S. driver's licence and the results aren't guaranteed the same day.

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing?ban=covid_vanity_testing

On a WDW forum I belong to, many Canadians are using a taxi driver or uber driver for the drive thru option.  They have al received their tests within hours.  They just use their hotel info for their appointment. They were not asked for any information when they drove up.

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing

Edited by ilovetotravel1977
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see that you can get a rapid PCR test at the Orlando or Miami Airport for $175.  Results in less than 1 hour. 

This looks like the best option even if you are driving.  The testing facility is before the security  check in and you don't have to show proof of travel to have the test. 

Hoping by the time my cruise is over January 8th this testing will not be required for fully vaccinated travellers. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 3bouysandmom said:

I see that you can get a rapid PCR test at the Orlando or Miami Airport for $175.  Results in less than 1 hour. 

This looks like the best option even if you are driving.  The testing facility is before the security  check in and you don't have to show proof of travel to have the test. 

Hoping by the time my cruise is over January 8th this testing will not be required for fully vaccinated travellers. 

That is a good point to remember. Currently you need to show proof of the test to the airline which is why it would be before security.

That means that you could get a pcr test at any airport in the U.S if you are driving.