Borealis in Portsmouth with technical problem

nooosey

On 8/2/2021 at 11:46 PM, tring said:

We call them steamer chairs, yes as on HAL.  It is the shape I do not like, though I have seen pics of them with cushions but not easy to clean, so covid may have an effect there.  I am not convinced many (or any) of those cabins were occupied though.  They are basically an outside with an opening window and do not appeal to us or anyone else we have spoken to.  Still plenty of space for real chairs, which Fred had previously.  Lots of his passengers cannot get onto lower seating.

I managed to get my review accepted via my phone last night, so should appear soon if accepted, but the review page is still not working properly - apparently AU and Europe sites affected.

We need to pack and do some other things before going back on board for 8 nights from Friday.  Best I lay low on board in case they realise who I am since I have made some criticisms.  We have usually sailed on smaller ships when you are never far from a window, but find that ship quite dark and enclosed - just different to what we are used to though.

I was looking at the deck plans earlier and see there is an area above the self service marked as a sun deck.  We could not access that - poss work going on there.  I think staff may be using part of it as well as they are not allowed off the ship at all and do stints of nine months, some longer, so they need somewhere outdoors.  I feel so sorry for them and we are complaining about having to do trips to get off!  I have to stop complaining,

Barbara

Just read your review.Thank you. I am a bit concerned about the dining arrangement. We also prefer a table for two.We are on the ship in three weeks Do you think this will not be possible?

14 minutes ago, meg29 said:

Just read your review.Thank you. I am a bit concerned about the dining arrangement. We also prefer a table for two.We are on the ship in three weeks Do you think this will not be possible?

You could ring Fred's head office to see if you can ask for a table for two.

I read your review (and the other two) with much interest.  Thank you very much for your remarks, I'm going to travel with a positive attitude and hope things have improved!

Two questions if and when you have time to reply I know you're on Borealis again 😉

On our cruise details it says one formal night "optional"  We were wondering if most people are dressing formal or smart casual for this evening.  We normally do dress formal on the appropriate nights but with the optional choice was wondering what others are doing.  The other question is the LFT before boarding, mouth and nose or nose only not that it really matters just I have a awful gag reaction 😂

and have read on P&O it seems to be nose only

On 8/7/2021 at 2:45 PM, July morning said:

I read your review (and the other two) with much interest.  Thank you very much for your remarks, I'm going to travel with a positive attitude and hope things have improved!

Two questions if and when you have time to reply I know you're on Borealis again 😉

On our cruise details it says one formal night "optional"  We were wondering if most people are dressing formal or smart casual for this evening.  We normally do dress formal on the appropriate nights but with the optional choice was wondering what others are doing.  The other question is the LFT before boarding, mouth and nose or nose only not that it really matters just I have a awful gag reaction 😂

and have read on P&O it seems to be nose only

Most seemed to be in formal dress, or at least a suit for gents and cannot recall anyone in less, but on 2nd sitting and well spread out in MDR. 

Asked to do own swab of throat and one nostril, then they process.

One notable difference this week is much more salad availability - a captain waiter said that was one of a number of things changed because of feedback.  I would also say the food has improved generally and more like original Fred.  Different chef though, which may, or may not, have made a difference.

On 8/6/2021 at 12:36 PM, meg29 said:

Just read your review.Thank you. I am a bit concerned about the dining arrangement. We also prefer a table for two.We are on the ship in three weeks Do you think this will not be .?

Hope you manage to arrange one.  We have a table for two this time and are appreciating our relaxing evenings which we prefer, though it is easy to speak with other people by day if keep as distance apart as people have during the pandemic.  Always easier to get a two on second sitting as less popular.

We are hopeful we will be able to have a two for our December cruise as we have had that booked a while.  They normally get allocated on a first come, first served basis, though of course can never be assured of one.

Relaxing in Portsmouth at present, as we will in Portland tomorrow.  We have only booked tours in Falmouth and Scilly, but got up this morning to see the sail in, which we would not normally do.  Went back to sleep just before we docked though for another couple of hours🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meg29 said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply Keeping our fingers crossed for table We have requested one Enjoy the rest of your cruise

Some systems which were not working well last time seem to have changed, so that could be one of them.  Seems much more restful.  There were obviously be teething probs, but how they are dealt with is always the important thing.  I will update on return but just got 24 hrs net at present.

Enjoy your cruise,

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Like 1