Covishield Vaccine

ScratchTheRat

Hey everyone.

I'm due to travel to Rome to board an NCL ship in September. I am well aware that things can and will change between now and then when it comes to green/amber/red and protocols etc, but just wanting some advice.

I have had one of the AstraZeneca vaccines on the list of batches that are not recognised by Italy for the EU Covid Passport. If I get a COVID negative test before travelling, will I still be able to make the journey? I don't want to be turned away and not able to go on the cruise!

44 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Hey everyone.

I'm due to travel to Rome to board an NCL ship in September. I am well aware that things can and will change between now and then when it comes to green/amber/red and protocols etc, but just wanting some advice.

I have had one of the AstraZeneca vaccines on the list of batches that are not recognised by Italy for the EU Covid Passport. If I get a COVID negative test before travelling, will I still be able to make the journey? I don't want to be turned away and not able to go on the cruise!

I think it will be recognised by September, this is a huge worldwide issue, for instance Pfizer-BioNTech is manufactured in Europe and the US by BioNTech, but manufactured is by Fosun in SE Asia making it Pfizer-Fosun, Add into the mix some countries (Canada for example) are mixing the vaccines it makes for a huge international mess.

However, if nothing changes by September you will have enter Rome as an unvaccinated person with the advantage you won't have to isolate on your return as the UK recognise your doses.

3 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I think it will be recognised by September, this is a huge worldwide issue, for instance Pfizer-BioNTech is manufactured in Europe and the US by BioNTech, but manufactured is by Fosun in SE Asia making it Pfizer-Fosun, Add into the mix some countries (Canada for example) are mixing the vaccines it makes for a huge international mess.

However, if nothing changes by September you will have enter Rome as an unvaccinated person with the advantage you won't have to isolate on your return as the UK recognise your doses.

Would you recommend that we get PCR tests from the drive thru centre before travelling to the airport so we have negative tests as a backup?

52 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Would you recommend that we get PCR tests from the drive thru centre before travelling to the airport so we have negative tests as a backup?

Things may change but if they remain the same don't make backup plans, travel just as an unvaccinated person would within the rules Italy have at the time, it's the only safe approach.

I just checked and the current requirements are:
negative molecular or antigen test taken in the 48 hours preceding entry into Italy and fill in a digital localisation form. They must also self-isolate for 5 days.

There is currently no exemption for those double jabbed so the fact you have had the Indian vaccine does not current make any difference I can see.

By September they may let double jabbed in without isolation but that does not currently appear to be the case so currently I would plan to arrive a week early to cover the 5 days.

Edited by ziggyuk

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 10:00 AM, ScratchTheRat said:

8 hours ago, Tinkerbellsparkle said:

Have you had any advice regarding boarding in Italy from the UK? I spoke to a NCL representative and was told you have to arrive 5 days before cruise and self isolate before embarking.

My daughter also had the unrecognised AZ vaccine, have you read any news on that?

As it stands, up to August 30th we would need to quarantine for 5 days in Italy on arrival. This is likely to change on that date and be okay for September however there is a chance it wont. If so, you would either need to quarantine or cancel your trip.

15 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

As it stands, up to August 30th we would need to quarantine for 5 days in Italy on arrival. This is likely to change on that date and be okay for September however there is a chance it wont. If so, you would either need to quarantine or cancel your trip.

If you board a cruise in say Barcelona and it stops in Italy, I'm wondering if you can get off in the port?