Florida Natives: driving question

kelkel2

Florida's use of fees is widespread.  One odious example is the layering of multiple fees on residential mortgage recording.  If you finance your permanent or winter home, you pay a substantial fee to have that lien recorded on the deed at the county clerk's office.

On the good side, real estate developers are socked for the impact of their development on local sewer systems, water systems, schools, nearby roads, etc.

19 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

One odious example is the layering of multiple fees on residential mortgage recording.  If you finance your permanent or winter home, you pay a substantial fee to have that lien recorded on the deed at the county clerk's office.

My Florida friends have told me about this fee.  Just curious:  is there a fee to have that lien removed from the deed when the mortgage is paid?  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My Florida friends have told me about this fee.  Just curious:  is there a fee to have that lien removed from the deed when the mortgage is paid?  

Probably. We paid cash when we bought the current house as a winter home, so we avoided the fees.

it's a good question, I will ask around.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks.  That's reasonable.  

I will take nickel and dime fees any day versus what people pay in other states.

We have ZERO state income tax.

State sales tax is roughly 6-7% depending on county

We have homestead exemption and land taxes are very reasonable.

A great deal of our taxes is paid thanks to y'all....tourism taxes....airport taxes, hotel taxes, bed taxes.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

A great deal of our taxes is paid thanks to y'all....tourism taxes....airport taxes, hotel taxes, bed taxes.

You are welcome.  😀      As I am sure you are aware, Florida isn't the only state that has discovered tourists are a good source of revenue.  My city keeps finding a "need" to increase the hotel tax and always with a debate about are we driving away potential tourists because of the taxes that tourists are being charged. 

12 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

You are welcome.  😀      As I am sure you are aware, Florida isn't the only state that has discovered tourists are a good source of revenue.  My city keeps finding a "need" to increase the hotel tax and always with a debate about are we driving away potential tourists because of the taxes that tourists are being charged. 

Tourists? Aren't you basically in Dayton? 

Ok, Wright Patterson, but what else is anywhere near there? 

27 minutes ago, D C said:

Tourists? Aren't you basically in Dayton? 

Ok, Wright Patterson, but what else is anywhere near there? 

The Museum of the United States Air Force is a prime tourist attraction.  A Convention Center, pre-Covid, that attracted many meetings/conventions.  Wright Brothers Museum, the Paul Lawrence Dunbar House (a National Historic Landmark) and the surrounding Historic District, the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra, the Schuster Center that attracts big name Broadway road company productions, the Dayton Art Institute, the University of Dayton (the university as well its basketball team), Wright State University (the university as well as its basketball team), the Dayton Dragons (a minor league team of the Reds), numerous festivals (Greek, German, Italian, etc.), and several major national Companies have offices in my community, i.e. General Electric, Caresource, etc.  Kings Island Amusement Park is an easy drive from Dayton.  DAY, an "easy in, easy out" airport:  some travelers find easier to use than the airports in Cincinnati or Columbus.   

We are at the crossroads of I-70 and I-75 and benefit from much of the tourist/business traffic that travel that intersection.  

Plus, its the home of rkacruiser!  😁

Thanks for allowing me to do a bit of bragging about my home community!