Brits beware - Travel Insurance. - FCO advice - ask specifically if policy is underwritten for International Cruising

Queenie1603

Thank you to all who posted about the issue of Travel Insurance re International Cruising that is currently against the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Advice.  We booked our Icelandic Cruise for the 7 August on the understanding that Iceland is currently on the UK's green list. It was comments on this Board that alerted us to separate FCO advise against International Cruising.  We checked with our Insurer and found we weren't covered.  

We found another Insurer who offered an FCO extension that, we were told, included international cruise cover against FCO advise (I asked several times to make sure). So wow,  we thought it was sorted. Again, thanks to these boards and members experiences, we began to suspect we weren't covered. So I contacted the insurers again last week and was reassured we were. Doubt still played on my mind. I emailed and asked them to this confirm in writing.

Today I called them again and said,  Please will you check with the underwriters if this policy covers us for International Cruising against FCO advice. The answer (after consultation with someone) came back NO. They miss sold the policy and have given us our money back.

We  have therefore taken the step the cancel our cruise (still outside the 14 day deadline). 

If I wasn't on the Cruise Critic Boards I would have been no wiser that there was separate FCO advise re cruises.  And, that others had also being sold policies that would have left them high and dry if they ever need to  claim.  I am sure there are other insurers out there but in the end it was just easier to cancel and rebook a cruise next year.

So thank you. I hope all of you who make it to Iceland have a fab time.  We are sorry we wont be going. If you are a BRIT -  please check out you are covered dont just take the sales person or customer service persons word for it.  The FCO advice may change on the 31st but that would have been too late for us to wait and see.

Bless you all.

Val

• Like 5

Hi Quennie, thankyou, we have gone round in similar circles with Malta, but have transferred to a UK itinerary instead.   I was amazed how much reassurance fellow travellers and I were given by the travel insurance companies, only to find out when pressing for the information in writing that we were not actually covered.  With all the protection around selling insurance products I am amazed that they cannot be held to account.  Anyway, hope you enjoy whatever you elect to do instead.

3 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi Quennie, thankyou, we have gone round in similar circles with Malta, but have transferred to a UK itinerary instead.   I was amazed how much reassurance fellow travellers and I were given by the travel insurance companies, only to find out when pressing for the information in writing that we were not actually covered.  With all the protection around selling insurance products I am amazed that they cannot be held to account.  Anyway, hope you enjoy whatever you elect to do instead.

A very BIG THANK YOU Staffordshirecruiser - it was your experience that made me more persistent in trying to clarify if we were covered or not. I will write and complain and as a member of "Which" seek their take on such a practice. I know these are confusing times but their sales force and customer service needs bringing up to speed.  

Our cruise next year is the outcome of two Viking cancellations,  so we have added an extra leg of the journey so will be cruising from Rome to Athens with 2 full nights included in Venice. We hope you enjoy your cruise and all goes well. 

Went through this experience just over a week ago with Viking insisting that guests had sent in proof of cover. After speaking with BIBA I got the advise needed that no one will give cover and like you found, anyone claiming you are covered are mistaken.

I've moved my booking to a later date, but rising infection rates,  who knows what the future holds.

I posted a similar warning thread to this in the Silversea forum (my usual hangout.)

• Like 1

Are any of you aware of Ben & David that have a cruise YouTube channel? Well today they boarded the NCL Jade in Greece, which shocked me considering that all UK citizens aren't insured for International Cruising, and that most of us have had to cancel our cruise plans.

So I messaged them on Instagram asking them to check with their UK insurers and/or advise us how they were able to work around the issue. Their reply was:

'We have work insurance as this is a work trip, this includes cover against FCO advice. We are fully aware of the rules, but thanks!'

So UK work insurance trumps travel insurance, even with a government advisory?? Surely all insurance policies issued in the UK are subject to the same rules, no?

You just need to do your own research. I have an insurance policy that covers me for what I need, for travelling against FCO advice, but many do not. 

It is somewhat perplexing that the UK government permit travel to Iceland and includes it on the green list of countries, with the lowest level of checks on return. It also permits and allows UK cruises around UK waters with fully vaccinated UK passengers ( as long as there is a plan to vaccinate crew) and passengers test negative pre-boarding. I guess the only point of advising against International Cruising is that they do not wish UK passengers to mix with passengers from other countries, even if they are fully vaccinated and test negative on boarding. 

All that being said, we all have our decisions to make on this as Viking are happy to take us knowingly against FCO advice. 

3 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

Are any of you aware of Ben & David that have a cruise YouTube channel? Well today they boarded the NCL Jade in Greece, which shocked me considering that all UK citizens aren't insured for International Cruising, and that most of us have had to cancel our cruise plans.

So I messaged them on Instagram asking them to check with their UK insurers and/or advise us how they were able to work around the issue. Their reply was:

'We have work insurance as this is a work trip, this includes cover against FCO advice. We are fully aware of the rules, but thanks!'

So UK work insurance trumps travel insurance, even with a government advisory?? Surely all insurance policies issued in the UK are subject to the same rules, no?

The advisory is in respect of travel for pleasure, so that makes sense. I asked the same but without reply.

Whilst, good for them they get a free pass "for work", I do think they and other youtubers should make this current advisory clear since they are there giving advice and that bit of advice probably trumps everything else in the video but omitted. Even if it was added to the description would help. As it stands its a case of "we are on a cruise, come and join us"...... and we now know we clearly cant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

You just need to do your own research. I have an insurance policy that covers me for what I need, for travelling against FCO advice, but many do not. 

It is somewhat perplexing that the UK government permit travel to Iceland and includes it on the green list of countries, with the lowest level of checks on return. It also permits and allows UK cruises around UK waters with fully vaccinated UK passengers ( as long as there is a plan to vaccinate crew) and passengers test negative pre-boarding. I guess the only point of advising against International Cruising is that they do not wish UK passengers to mix with passengers from other countries, even if they are fully vaccinated and test negative on boarding. 

All that being said, we all have our decisions to make on this as Viking are happy to take us knowingly against FCO advice. 

I agree with your thoughts its perplexing, particularly since your cruise could be to green countries only and deemed unsafe despite everything in place and more dangerous that amber countries.

So your underwriters have put it in writing you are covered for cruises in international waters despite the advisory? I know when I spoke with them, they've said they have had some though. If Could get an insurer to cover me, I would re-book for the 24th July - I just don't think its possible for me as a pleasure cruise. 

It's a legacy policy through a bank that has not been available to new customers for a few years. They have already written to me a few weeks ago confirming that the travel against FCO advice cover is being withdrawn from 31 August 2021. Just glad I did not book one of the later cruises.

3 minutes ago, les37b said:

I agree with your thoughts its perplexing, particularly since your cruise could be to green countries only and deemed unsafe despite everything in place and more dangerous that amber countries.

So your underwriters have put it in writing you are covered for cruises in international waters despite the advisory? I know when I spoke with them, they've said they have had some though. If Could get an insurer to cover me, I would re-book for the 24th July - I just don't think its possible for me as a pleasure cruise. 

We submitted our insurance certificates without a covering letter from our insurers and Viking accepted them, thanked us and said they would note it on our booking. At no point did they police any particular part of the certificate or say they may deny boarding. They seem to be leaving the responsibility firmly at the door of passengers and if you don't have adequate coverage, then it's down to you and has nothing to do with them. There are some who've been able to provide letters and some who have used US based insurance providers to workaround the FCDO advice implications. For us, it was a risk not worth taking until the advisory changes.

3 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

It's a legacy policy through a bank that has not been available to new customers for a few years. They have already written to me a few weeks ago confirming that the travel against FCO advice cover is being withdrawn from 31 August 2021. Just glad I did not book one of the later cruises.

Interesting. I have a similar one with First Direct. They changed the policy specifically for covid a few months ago and it basically now says you are covered for covid as long as you dont travel against  advisories. I actually booked this on the day they changed the amber quarantine and advisory notices. I didnt know about the cruise one at the time, but they have stated I'm not covered. Ive held the policy for about 15 years!

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

We submitted our insurance certificates without a covering letter from our insurers and Viking accepted them, thanked us and said they would note it on our booking. At no point did they police any particular part of the certificate or say they may deny boarding. They seem to be leaving the responsibility firmly at the door of passengers and if you don't have adequate coverage, then it's down to you and has nothing to do with them. There are some who've been able to provide letters and some who have used US based insurance providers to workaround the FCDO advice implications. For us, it was a risk not worth taking until the advisory changes.

I rather suspect, apart from Neils Legacy policy and Ben and Davids work type ones, most people who have submitted have been accepted at face value... ie you say you're covered and we've flagged up about the advisory, so fine come on down. (Which would also explain why I got the answer some people have policies by Viking.)

All well and good until you find you need to use it. Policies will be null and void - and not just covid related. Imagine you got tested positive. As you just saw, Viking disembarked 2 passengers in Iceland. If you are positive, you cant fly home and it would be a while since you could..... and that's without the complications if got hospitalised (for Covid or anything else for that matter.) If your Insurerer puts in in writing you are still covered, then thats great. But I'm sure I saw you mention that they confirmed you are not covered. Insurers will never feel sorry for you and if they can avoid a pay out they will take it.

I'm not sure I'd risk not being insured on any trip, but definitely not now since the costs can run into £100K's. Obviously things could go smoothly, but its not something I'd take a chance with.

• Like 1

Decided to ring back my insurer today, which is via my bank.

Call lasted 90 minutes.... Which was partly a complaint as I was getting nowhere and the person I had been speaking to came back saying he'd got the department to put in writing that I had a policy. It does make you wonder of you listen to a word you tell them.

Anyway, I got through to the complaints people, ran through again what Viking had ask for spelling out the cruise in international waters bit which I had to give in writing.

She continually repeated I was covered world wide on cruises unless visiting a country that was red and wouldn't be covered.

I repeated it several times and she told me I was 100% covered going on a med cruise.

The letter she emailed (which is obviously a standard letter regarding cover), listed no cover if there is an advisory not to travel.

All in all, it just spells out how obscure and unknown this advisory is and remains so.

Whilst I could claim I was verbally told I was covered (repeatedly) o know that that get out is there in the letter which they'd say it's my fault and she just got it wrong and it's all on me.

So I guess that's the end on the line now for attempting to get back on the 24th July Sailing.

What's actually now as worrying, I've now booked 22 Sep to remain on Venus and doing Greece, instead of 19th and Dalmatian coast. From what I've just seen, Greece looks like it's joining France on the naughty step and we will have to quarantine on return.....  Which my wife can't do. (I can work from home, she can't)

So I might get Viking to move us to the 19th and Croatia again.

If anyone knows the lottery numbers,please let me know! lol

• Thanks 1