2 Different Doses - Considered Unvacciated

Marymommyof3

I just found out that Carnival changed it's policies and if you were vaccinated with AstraZeneca and Pfizer or Moderna, you are considered unvaccinated.  I get their reasoning, but here in Canada we were told to get whatever was available to us and that is exactly what I did and now I because of me, my family will not be able to cruise - I refuse to apply for exemption because I don't feel that I should have to bare the extra costs because of doing something that I was told to do.  Do you think this will change down the road?

Just now, Marymommyof3 said:

I just found out that Carnival changed it's policies

Carnival didn't change their policies, they have always stuck by what the CDC and/or the WHO declared as acceptable vaccination protocols.  Mixing AZ with anything is not approved by either body.  The Canadian government might have been trying to help protect Canadians at home, but they are now in a quandary for international travel, since the AZ mixes are not recognized.

When will this change?  IMHO: If/when the CDC and/or WHO recognize the AZ mixes as valid two-dose vaccination programs.

It isn't Carnival's fault that Canada didn't follow international guidelines.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

It isn't Carnival's fault that Canada didn't follow international guidelines.

Agree but getting people vaccinated was the underlying motivation and when both Pfizer and Moderna kept dropping their promised delivery amounts there werent an awful lot of choices on the table.

Edited by kdr69
added content
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

I know that RCCL announced this and are now reconsidering it.  So this might change again.

It was on RCCL's website yesterday about mixing does and being considered unvaccinated and now it's gone.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marymommyof3 said:

I just found out that Carnival changed it's policies and if you were vaccinated with AstraZeneca and Pfizer or Moderna, you are considered unvaccinated.  I get their reasoning, but here in Canada we were told to get whatever was available to us and that is exactly what I did and now I because of me, my family will not be able to cruise - I refuse to apply for exemption because I don't feel that I should have to bare the extra costs because of doing something that I was told to do.  Do you think this will change down the road?

Can you get a second dose of of the Pfizer/Modena to avoid being considered unvaccinated?? Just a thought.  

• Like 1

Yep.

I commented on that a while ago when the new protocols were put on the Carnival website.

Go to the Canadian section of this forum and there is a lot of discussion about that.

John Heald did say last week that Carnival "will take care of Canadians" or something like that. Basicially acknowleding the issue with Canadians and mixed doses.

1 minute ago, Marymommyof3 said:

It was on RCCL's website yesterday about mixing does and being considered unvaccinated and now it's gone.  

I asked on their social media page and the said the rule was under further consideration. 

• Like 1

I will say this there is a LOT of chatter on JH's page about this very thing and he keeps saying they are looking into it and working on it.  They are saying it is CDC requirement.  Perhaps, they have an inside track that this "might" be changing, otherwise I don't think he would be wording it the way he is with them "looking into it" he would just be saying yep that's the way it is (basically just have to deal with it)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruisinWithDLS said:

Can you get a second dose of of the Pfizer/Modena to avoid being considered unvaccinated?? Just a thought.  

Nope

Each province has it's own database to track when and what dose you received.

Once you receive two doses (no matter what type) you are done.

We have 3 types of vaccines in Canada - Astra Zeneca, Pfizer and Moderna.

I am thinking of calling my provincial Heath vaccine booking line to ask but i doubt they will say yes.

I will also add that most Canadians did not receive their Pfizer/Moderna doses in the recomended 21 - 28 day internval either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I asked on their social media page and the said the rule was under further consideration. 

I would not be surprised if RCCL goes back to saying the Moderna/Pfizer can be mixed as that is what Carnival is doing (competition - otherwie they will lose customers who will go the Carnival).

As for AZ/Pfizer or Moderna that seems to be a no no for all cruise lines cruising out of the U.S.

1 minute ago, kdr69 said:

Why? They are already recommending a 3rd booster shot whats the difference?

Who are they?  Nobody is recommending a 3rd shot right now.  The ones that are -- probably podiatrists or optometrists.  lol  It's bad advice.  They are LOOKING into a 3rd shot to see if it is needed but there is ZERO data out there where any doctor should be suggesting a 3rd shot.  Even for J&J folks, they shouldn't be going out to get a 2nd shot to boost antibodies.  If people want to, go right ahead.  Their body.  Any doctor recommending a 3rd shot right now, should have their license pulled.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

I've had 2 moderna and 1 j&j imd nothing has fallen off.

Didn't say anything bad will happen.  It is not needed at this time though.  Almost EVERY doctor or scientist that specializes in this field has suggested to hold off for now.  Only Big Pharm is saying 3rd shot.   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like 1

Just now, BrotherCraig said:

Who are they?  Nobody is recommending a 3rd shot right now.  The ones that are -- probably podiatrists or optometrists.  lol  It's bad advice.  They are LOOKING into a 3rd shot to see if it is needed but there is ZERO data out there where any doctor should be suggesting a 3rd shot.  Even for J&J folks, they shouldn't be going out to get a 2nd shot to boost antibodies.  If people want to, go right ahead.  Their body.  Any doctor recommending a 3rd shot right now, should have their license pulled.

Pfizer is saying it may be necessary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Marymommyof3 said:

but here in Canada we were told to get whatever was available to us and that is exactly what I did and now I because of me, my family will not be able to cruise

I am sorry this is happening but it is not your fault, Canadian government is responsible this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

That DEFINITELY is NOT recommended.

Why not? There are people getting 3rd shots from their doctor and rightfully so… some of us need a 3rd dose…

“Some immunocompromised people have, on their own, received additional doses of the vaccine, and a study last month by Johns Hopkins researchers suggested that an extra shot may help increase Covid-19 antibody levels for some organ transplant recipients who did not have a full response to their original vaccinations. 

On Sunday, Dr. Anthony Fauci, President Joe Biden's chief medical adviser, acknowledged the reality that some people are acting ahead of official recommendations, noting that there are individual physicians "right now that are saying, 'I want to go the extra mile with someone who might have a lower level of immunity.' "

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/07/16/health/cdc-warning-covid-19-vaccine-immunocompromised/index.html

Edited by bdever

Just now, kdr69 said:

Pfizer is saying it may be necessary.

Exactly.  Wonder why?  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

CDC, WHO, and scientists and doctors say otherwise.  Pfizer is being investigated for even recommending it.  Need MORE DATA.  We will probably never need a booster.  Wait for the data.  Trust the science.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/health/pfizer-waning-immunity-bn/index.html

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

That DEFINITELY is NOT recommended.

It's not a question of recommendations. In Canada it is a question of being able to do it.

Our yearly flu shots aren't tracked in a database. So I could get 3 -4 flu shots no problem at all because all I get is a little slip of paper.

BUT..

With a Covid vaccine it's in a data base and our country currently says 2 vaccines of whatever!

"There's no evidence right now that the general population needs a booster dose because we're not seeing evidence of waning immunity or substantially reduced effectiveness against the Delta variant," William Moss, executive director of the International Vaccine Access Center at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, tells Politico. "I think for most people, outside those special populations, the immunocompromised and maybe the elderly — I think most people's immunity is going to last years, to be honest." He said if a variant manages to evade the vaccines, a booster shot may be needed, but he guessed it will be three or four years, or longer, before most people need an extra dose. - John Hopkins via Harvard Review

2 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Didn't say anything bad will happen.  It is not needed at this time though.  Almost EVERY doctor or scientist that specializes in this field has suggested to hold off for now.  Only Big Pharm is saying 3rd shot.   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They are saying most people don't need it.  It is something each person should discuss with their own doctor.

• Like 2