Jade sails from Greece - Harry Sommer comments on covid and Greece new homeport

On Jade's debut yesterday, Harry Sommer put the reality of covid quite well:

"Sommer said the stringent protocols -- 100 percent vaccination, pre-cruise testing, a proof of a negative PCR and end-of-cruise testing -- was designed to make a Norwegian vessel "the safest place on earth".

However, he added: "I can't guarantee there won't be a COVID case onboard, in fact given how things are today, I'm pretty sure there will be a COVID case onboard from time to time.

"What I can guarantee is there won't be widespread outbreaks, everyone will be safe and that if the occasional case happens it will likely be an asymptomatic case and life will continue onboard as normal."

Separately, it was announced that "Norwegian Getaway would be based in a brand new homeport for NCL -- Katakolon (Olympia) from Starting September 17, 2021. The announcement marks the first time NCL has added a secondary homeport in Greece, as part of its ongoing exploration of new itinerary options and is a testament to its ongoing partnership with the Greek government."

As Getaway is starting from Rome and Piraeus over the next few months, and Katakolon is only a stop on route, what do they mean by homepart in this regard - I presume it doesn't mean schedule changes?

1 minute ago, podgeandrodge said:

On Jade's debut yesterday, Harry Sommer put the reality of covid quite well:

"Sommer said the stringent protocols -- 100 percent vaccination, pre-cruise testing, a proof of a negative PCR and end-of-cruise testing -- was designed to make a Norwegian vessel "the safest place on earth".

However, he added: "I can't guarantee there won't be a COVID case onboard, in fact given how things are today, I'm pretty sure there will be a COVID case onboard from time to time.

"What I can guarantee is there won't be widespread outbreaks, everyone will be safe and that if the occasional case happens it will likely be an asymptomatic case and life will continue onboard as normal."

Separately, it was announced that "Norwegian Getaway would be based in a brand new homeport for NCL -- Katakolon (Olympia) from Starting September 17, 2021. The announcement marks the first time NCL has added a secondary homeport in Greece, as part of its ongoing exploration of new itinerary options and is a testament to its ongoing partnership with the Greek government."

As Getaway is starting from Rome and Piraeus over the next few months, and Katakolon is only a stop on route, what do they mean by homepart in this regard - I presume it doesn't mean schedule changes?

Hmmm interesting..been to katakolon several times..not that impressed..Lao could impact pre cruises choices. https://passport.news/ncls-new-port-in-greece-great-cruise-comeback/

• Like 1

Having a second home port could mean a variety of things.

Maybe it will be a different ship, that will depart from there in the future. If we have lost Venice as a port in that area then maybe they are looking for alternatives (although I’d have thought Athens could easily take another ship).

Alternatively it could mean two embarkation ports on the same cruise (similar to the Barcelona/Rome departures for the Epic). However, as far as I can recall not every Jade cruise goes there, and they seem a bit close for that.

Or maybe it’s something else. I doubt it signifies itinerary changes though.

• Like 1

Interesting ... we quite like Katakolon. The first time we went, we took a NCL excursion to Olympia and then to a restaurant afterwards - fantastic lunch and there was some greek dancing and we bought delicious olive oil to take home. The second time we just stayed in town - walked around, shopped and had al fresco lunch in one of the restaurants on waterfront - lovely. This was in April and weather was so pleasant.

What's the nearest international airport, though?????

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 9:06 AM, bluesea777 said:

Interesting ... we quite like Katakolon. The first time we went, we took a NCL excursion to Olympia and then to a restaurant afterwards - fantastic lunch and there was some greek dancing and we bought delicious olive oil to take home. The second time we just stayed in town - walked around, shopped and had al fresco lunch in one of the restaurants on waterfront - lovely. This was in April and weather was so pleasant.

Precisely our experience.  I can't wait to go back.  Greek Taverna food by the sea- magical.  There was/is a cute tourist train to Olympia from the port.  Up in Olympia I kept wishing I could go to lunch (again) - there was a nice place in town. 

Looking at the transport maps this is a puzzler.  We are like 3.5 hours out of Athens.  Maybe there is an idea to get some charter flights into a nearby, large, disused airport.  The area, while nice, is not on the larger Greek passenger railway system, but US cruise passengers don't love/trust trains much.      https://www.maritimes.gr/en/tourism/41435-norwegian-cruise-line-adds-katakolon-as-new-embarkation-port-in-greece

On 7/26/2021 at 7:06 AM, bluesea777 said:

Do you remember the name of the restaurant?