SS Cape Town - Cape Town

RetiredandTravel

23 hours ago, mofrances said:

Hi Terry! Do you mind if I ask how you created that great graphic showing your cruise stops layered on top of the map? I would love to do something similar for the photo books I create after big trips. It really shows up well!   Thanks,  Maureen

Greetings to Maureen, our neighbor to the north in Michigan, west of Detroit and near our "favorite" of Ann Arbor.  Right?

YES, I am happy to share my "trade secrets" in making those travel graphics.  Appreciate your asking!!    First, I have a MacBook Pro laptop from which I do my writing, editing pictures, holding my music files, etc.  They have a graphics program included called "PAGES" that allows a variety of visual and composing desktop publishing applications much as "Adobe PageMaker" does on other computers.  It's not that complicated, but it does take some time and patience to learn how to use these tools, get good at it, etc. I did not learn these techniques in just a week or two.  Sorry!! 

1. The process start with doing a web search on Bing.com images to find a color map that shows the geographic areas being traveled.  Then I make a screen shot of that graphic, edit and enhance that image.

2. Next, I put that map/image inside a border box, adjusting and fine-tuning to make it fit and "look good".  Then it is a matter of using some different graphic elements available (stars, ovals, boxes, limes, arrows, etc.) on PAGES to be placed at the right locations, etc.  I can pick from many different type face options and colors, etc., to use.  

That's the quick, simple version.  If you have not worked with a laptop desktop publishing program, it does takes some time to learn the process, get comfortable with the tools, etc. For me, having done a number of graphics previously, it is easier to borrow via "Copy-&-Paste" for certain visual elements that had been previously utilized.   

Questions and reactions??  Does this help?  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 233,777 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Below is the latest graphic from our "adventure" travels.  It was New Zealand and the South Pacific.  It was from early 2020 and we got back home on March 7, 2020, right as the international travel world was being shut down due to Covid-19.  Unfortunately, that seemingly-short closing has extended longer than any of us would have desired.  Right?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

1096071512_ScreenShot2021-08-22at5_16_09PM.thumb.png.b364d897e288693635de8d5e8e4936d4.png

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Greetings to Maureen, our neighbor to the north in Michigan, west of Detroit and near our "favorite" of Ann Arbor.  Right?

YES, I am happy to share my "trade secrets" in making those travel graphics.  Appreciate your asking!!    First, I have a MacBook Pro laptop from which I do my writing, editing pictures, holding my music files, etc.  They have a graphics program included called "PAGES" that allows a variety of visual and composing desktop publishing applications much as "Adobe PageMaker" does on other computers.  It's not that complicated, but it does take some time and patience to learn how to use these tools, get good at it, etc. I did not learn these techniques in just a week or two.  Sorry!! 

Terry thank you so much! That is very helpful.  I also have a MacBook so will experiment with Pages and see how I fare. 

Speaking of Ann Arbor, my son is about to start there in the College of Engineering next week - Class of 2025. For his high school graduation gift we went on the Silver Moon to Greece - his first cruise ever! Loved it so much that we booked for the entire family on the Silver Dawn Lima-Ft Lauderdale over the holidays this year!!

Best wishes,

Maureen (proud Mom even though I am a Notre Dame grad 😊)

On 8/23/2021 at 10:57 AM, mofrances said:

Terry thank you so much! That is very helpful.  I also have a MacBook so will experiment with Pages and see how I fare.   Speaking of Ann Arbor, my son is about to start there in the College of Engineering next week - Class of 2025. For his high school graduation gift we went on the Silver Moon to Greece - his first cruise ever! Loved it so much that we booked for the entire family on the Silver Dawn Lima-Ft Lauderdale over the holidays this year!!   Best wishes,   Maureen (proud Mom even though I am a Notre Dame grad 😊)

Great follow-up and details from Maureen.  Wonderful that you have a MackBook and can start using the Pages.  Good luck.  Let me know if you have any questions and/or seek any added help from me.  Happy to share more.  

As to being a proud Notre Dame grad, mark down the date of September   3, 2022.  That is when your ND Fighting Irish will come down to Columbus to play my Ohio State.  Good luck with the opening of college football this week.  Glad your son is attending UM Engineering, that you did the Silver Moon and are booked for the Silver Dawn.  Going through the Panama Canal on the trip?  That's an amazing engineering accomplishment done more than 100 years ago.  Loved that trip in 2017.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Like 1