New to oceania- dress code

LoriAB

Literally hundreds of easily searched threads on Oceania’s dress codes. For us the only question is : Will Oceania even enforce the rather simple standards they had once they restart sailing?

We had two (2) 2019 sailings and country club casual, as O had historically defined and enforced, was not so on either sailing . That is unless well worn casual jeans and a Guinness T shirt, or joga pants and a Torshavn T shirt is suddenly country club casual. Wearing joga pants is equivalent to wearing sweat pants, it athletic clothing! Please no “ Oh, but these are dressy sweat pants!” 🙄

So, What is the dress code ? No one has a clue until after O restarts and we hear what they actually enforce.  History has proven “ give some an inch and they’ll take a mile.” 

We personally wish O’s management would go back to enforcing its stated dress codes, but aren’t optimistic.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone. I am quite comfortable with the dress requirements, but given the fact that I spend most of my time in FL, I don’t own many shoes that aren’t sandals. That’s my reason for asking. Didn’t mean to cause a stir, just wanted clarification. Big difference between flip flops and dressy healed sandals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoriAB said:

Thanks everyone. I am quite comfortable with the dress requirements, but given the fact that I spend most of my time in FL, I don’t own many shoes that aren’t sandals. That’s my reason for asking. Didn’t mean to cause a stir, just wanted clarification. Big difference between flip flops and dressy healed sandals.

Your dressy sandals will be perfect in the GDR and specialty restaurants.   Nice flip flops work in the terrace ....

2 hours ago, LoriAB said:

no worries  the sandal question comes up often  & always causes a stir

dressy sandals are fine  for dinner

17 hours ago, clo said:

Are dress shirts no longer sold this way?

As far as I know, they never have been in the UK. Formal shirts are sold by collar size, but I've no recollection that there is a link to a particular sleeve length. That said, it is over 30 years since I last looked at buying a long sleeved formal shirt, so my memory may be faulty. Either way, short sleeve shirts have served me well for those 30+ years.

• Like 1

For men of "average" size, this is true.  (We're in the U.S.)  But my husband is short and slender.  He always needed to be careful about the sleeve length.  Of course, he had no problem with short sleeved shirts.

I've read through this whole thread and it does seem like many are over-thinking. OTOH, if you are new to Oceania you want to know what is okay and what is not.

I saw a post some time ago where an elderly gentlemen showed up in the GDR in his underwear and he was very gently treated ...

We haven't been on a cruise since pre-Covid, but I remember being shocked to see a four-some leaving a dinner in Polo (I think this was on Marina, but perhaps not).  They all had jeans with holes in them ... This would have been fine in Terrace but really should not have been fine in one of the specialty restaurants.  Not that I started loudly complaining ...And no one worried about their footwear.

Mura

• Like 1