Greetings from the Zaandam

eldercruser

Just a quick message before we arrive in Aruba.

The Zaandam is in good shape - food in the dining room up to HAL standards - Lido is even better. Slight stabilizer problem yesterday, but the engineers corected the problem. Half Moon Cay as beautiful as ever.

The internet cafe is popular. Internet connections are much faster than what I have experienced on past cruises.

Most folks made the the Monday departure even with the storm in the Northeast. We will be watching to see if any stragglers meet us in Aruba this afternoon.

Re: shipboard dress - three formal nights, one informal and the rest casual. Last night about 40-50% of the men were in tuxes, less than 5% in sport coats, the remainder in dark suits. However the trend to casual dress continues. By 10 PM well over half the ship was in very casual dress.

Age demographics: majority in 50's or 60's. Several in 70's and a few older and younger. Very few children on this cruise which is to be expected.

Everyone seems to enjoying themselves - have really not heard any complaints thus far.

Sailing on the Zaandam next month, glad to hear she's in good shape. Hopefully there will be some kids on board for my ds(12). But it is spring break so there should be. We've done a ton of RCI cruises, our first time on HAL so looking forward to it, particularly the itinerary.

LDinCT

Just a quick message before we arrive in Aruba.

Re: shipboard dress - three formal nights, one informal and the rest casual.

Thank you so much for this info. We're on Zaandam next month and our docs say 2 formal, 3 informal, 5 casual. I didn't think that sounded right but didn't know what to do.

Is Captain Timmers still at the helm? He's my favorite HAL captain.

On another thread I posted the information re formal/informal. Evidently many passengers such as TxGal are receiving info saying there are only two formal nights. Since many did not come "prepared" for three, the second formal night is also being designated informal as well as formal. those who can will be encouraged to dress formally. It will be interesting to see what actually happens!

Captain Timmers is indeed the Master, but will probably be in command for only another couple of cruises before going on leave. Dottie K is the CD, but not sure for how much longer.

6228 is the furthest aft cabin on the starboard side of the verandah deck. One advantage - you have an exit right to your own observation area and a quick trip to the Lido!

We have not tried dinner in the Lido, although tonight is the BBQ so we might. The food has just been excellent at breakfast and lunch.

Entertainment has been standard cruise fare thus far. No complaints or particular raves.

We enjoyed "Windy" Aruba yesterday via rental car. Stopped at Eagle Beach for awhile - then continued on to see the sights such as the collapsed Natural Bridge - an awsome sight - how it had sheared off one side. So lucky it happened in the early morning hours when no one was there.

Curacao today. We took the "Beach Express" tour this morning which now goes to Blue Bay Beach. Nice facilities - fair snorkeling.

Sea day tommorrow. The Canal on Sunday.

Cheers!

Nice to hear that you enjoyed the Curacao Beach Express -- we booked that one too.

Have you tried the thermal suite or hydrotherapy pool? Did you happen to notice if HAL was offering passes to use the thermal suite for the length of the cruise, and how much they cost?

Thanks for your posts. We leave home two weeks from today and can hardly wait.

What is the Beach Express in Curacao ? Is it something I could join on my own. I'll be cruising with my elderly mother and she doesn't care to go to the beach.

Hi " Fairbanks" , we lived in Anchorage ( Elmendorf AFB ) for 3 yrs back in the 80's. You have a BEAUTIFUL state ! Can't wait to return one day ! Gina

This tour is available in the morning or afternoon - personally I recommend the morning version. The group rides to Blue Bay Beach on an old school bus - short tour provided en route - even a chance to see wild flamingos. the beach area has excellent facilities - lounge chairs in the shade, rest rooms, beach shower and nice bar area. Snorkeling gear is provided. You have about two hours of beach time. Certainly no problem booking for one person. You would be away from the ship for three hours or so.

For Ardithl; We have not tried the any of the spa facilities. there are daily advertisements for various treatments - but expensive. I guess we are not "spa "people.

You are taking over where we got off - lucky you! We had a great time as I'm sure you will. What are you planning at the Panama Canal and Costa Rica? We did private tours with Mario @ the Panama Canal and Charlie Soto @ Costa Rica - both were fantastic! Enjoy and Cheers!

Have just returned from a most excellent tour of Panama by bus and train. The bus trip to the Pacific side included a drive over the Madden Dam (225 feet above sea level) and atrip out the causeway for an excellent view of the Pan American Bridge and pacific entrance to the canal. The train trip back offered some interesing views of the canal as well as the rain forest along the canal's path.

Tomorrow we will travel to San Jose for our Costa Rican visit. Hope to link up with an old friend.

Short note regarding the Informal/Formal Night last night. 80-85% of the men (including our table) opted for coat, no tie. The remainder were split between coat and tie and black tie. Of course, all the ladies looked lovely!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. We will be embarking the Zaandam this Thursday after you disembark, following the same itinerary. It has been a few years since we have been on the Zaandam and are so excited to return. Glad to hear that she is in good shape and maintaining her excellent standards. Any rough water?

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. We will be embarking the Zaandam this Thursday after you disembark, following the same itinerary. It has been a few years since we have been on the Zaandam and are so excited to return. Glad to hear that she is in good shape and maintaining her excellent standards. Any rough water?

Gypsy - Make sure you seek me out to introduce yourself! Elder did and I was so confused at first LOL - he asked if I was formercruisestaff and I just replied "HUH?" I think life at sea is getting to me.

A few more hours of sun and sea before arriving in Ft. Lauderdale. The cruise has gone well. As I mentioned earlier the food and service in the Lido has been the best of our previous 11 HAL cruises. However, the dining room food quality and preparation has been very average (Our table mates agree - all previous cruisers). That is somewhat disappointing since the Lido has been so good. We also though the entertainment was just average - not bad - just not as good as many of our previous cruises.

The Panama Canal was excellent - highly recommend the tour by train - we were lucky enough to book the dome car - also highly recommended. Our trip to San Jose from Puerto Limon was also worthwhile. though a long day I felt the tour gave us a great overall "feel" for the country.

Excellent cruise staff. All members of the ship's crew seemed to be in good spirits and always were most helpful.

Tomorrow it is back to the everyday world.

Thanks, Eldercruiser, you made the whole cruise come to life ! Helped pass the time before our March 25 sailing !!

Did anyone give lectures on the ship ?

If the Lido had great food ,did you have dinner there ?

Any good movies playing ?

Your favorite evening entertainment. THANKS ! GINA:)

Should have mentioned guest lecturer Allen Wren who gave 3 interesting lectures on the history of the Panama Canal. They were well attended and received.

Our dinner companions were delightful so the good company caused us to have all our dinners in the dining room. We had pre-dinner cocktails in the Crows Nest before going to dinner.

Pride and Prejudice was playing - among others. We just never had time to go!

Can't say we had a favorite entertainer. The piano player -sorry can't remember his name - was probably the best.

Archived