Athens Hilton

Bruin Steve

We are staying at the Athens Hilton RIGHT NOW...in preparation if leaving on Celebrity Apex Saturday on a B2B.

We booked the Hilton largely because of the Pandemic.  My wife trusted their Covid Protocols more than what she saw from many other smaller non-chain hotels.

When we noted this on Cruise Critic, we received responses from many posters, some of them known Cruise Critic regulars, saying they wouldn't stay here...lots of reasons, many claiming it poorly located.

I am VERY happy that I didn't listen...

We've been here a couple of days now.  

Today, we decided to wander around Athens for a bit.  The largest concern with the Hilton was "location".  It is NOT right in the Plaka...which many seem to prefer...BUT, OTOH, it is NOT "terribly inconvenient" either.  We walked first to Syntagma Square...From the Hilton, it is a FLAT straight walk of less than a mile, passing many parks and museums along the way...not difficult or time-consuming at all.  Along the way, we picked up a contingent of the Presidential Guard and walked along with them--like right alongside--from the Guard offices to the Parliament Building...then watched the changing of the guard.  Afterwards, we headed across the Square and down Nikis Street to the Jewish Museum for a visit, then continued down Kidathineon Street through the heart of the Plaka, then up Adrianou for a few blocks for more shopping, then wound up various streets to the base of the Acropolis, then back down Kidathineon to the major restaurant hub and had an all-too-touristy gyro lunch, wandered around a bit more  then sat down for some Gelato. Wandered some more, then headed back to the Hilton.  All along, we had it in mind that, if the walking got to be too much, we could grab a taxi back....but it never did...and the walk was very pleasant.

We were also concerned that restaurants would be plentiful in the Plaka and much harder to find...and farther to walk...near the Hilton...and the costs would be higher.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Restaurants in the Plaka were a bit touristy and somewhat overpriced for what they were...and all came with very aggressive salesmen waiting outside trying to rope you in.  But, virtually adjacent to the Hilton, we found a small park sort of catty-corner from the Southeast corner of the Hilton called "Antinoros and Iofontos Park (Πάρκο Αντήνορος και Ιοφώντος)" which is lined with about 7 or 8 restaurants all with outdoor tables on the park...and, surprisingly, all reasonably priced.  Last night, we had a traditional Greek dinner--Large Greek Salad to share, Pork Souvlaki for me, Chicken for my wife and a beer each...The owner brought out watermelon for dessert gratis...Very nice.  Tonight, we were next door to that at "Oroscopo"...ordered a sizable individual pizza each--Coke for her and a 500 ml Fix Lager for me.  They brought out , GRATIS, great bread with Olive Tapenade, then a cup of soup for each of us...again no charge...and, at the end of the meal--free dessert--some sort of custard-filled pastry.  Everything was WONDERFUL...for 32 Euros TOTAL!

Tomorrow, we have a full day tour set up to Delphi and the company is picking us up and dropping us off at the Hilton...

We're leaving Friday open for now...and, Saturday, we have a taxi pre-arranged from the Hilton to the pier for 23 Euros...

The Hilton room is wonderful--clean, very modern...Very comfortable King-size bed, great working air conditioning and a large balcony with two chairs and a table and a nice view from the 9th floor.  And the room rate was LESS than any of the recommended hotels in the Plaka.  I am VERY HAPPY we chose to stay here.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

We are staying at the Athens Hilton RIGHT NOW...in preparation if leaving on Celebrity Apex Saturday on a B2B.

We booked the Hilton largely because of the Pandemic.  My wife trusted their Covid Protocols more than what she saw from many other smaller non-chain hotels.

When we noted this on Cruise Critic, we received responses from many posters, some of them known Cruise Critic regulars, saying they wouldn't stay here...lots of reasons, many claiming it poorly located.

Today, we decided to wander around Athens for a bit.  The largest concern with the Hilton was "location".  It is NOT right in the Plaka...which many seem to prefer...BUT, OTOH, it is NOT "terribly inconvenient" either.  We walked first to Syntagma Square...From the Hilton, it is a FLAT straight walk of less than a mile, passing many parks and museums along the way...not difficult or time-consuming at all.  Along the way, we picked up a contingent of the Presidential Guard and walked along with them--like right alongside--from the Guard offices to the Parliament Building...then watched the changing of the guard.  Afterwards, we headed across the Square and down Nikis Street to the Jewish Museum for a visit, then continued down Kidathineon Street through the heart of the Plaka, then up Adrianou for a few blocks for more shopping, then wound up various streets to the base of the Acropolis, then back down Kidathineon to the major restaurant hub and had an all-too-touristy gyro lunch, wandered around a bit more  then sat down for some Gelato. Wandered some more, then headed back to the Hilton.  All along, we had it in mind that, if the walking got to be too much, we could grab a taxi back....but it never did...and the walk was very pleasant.

We were also concerned that restaurants would be plentiful in the Plaka and much harder to find...and farther to walk...near the Hilton...and the costs would be higher.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Restaurants in the Plaka were a bit touristy and somewhat overpriced for what they were...and all came with very aggressive salesmen waiting outside trying to rope you in.  But, virtually adjacent to the Hilton, we found a small park sort of catty-corner from the Southeast corner of the Hilton called "Antinoros and Iofontos Park (Πάρκο Αντήνορος και Ιοφώντος)" which is lined with about 7 or 8 restaurants all with outdoor tables on the park...and, surprisingly, all reasonably priced.  Last night, we had a traditional Greek dinner--Large Greek Salad to share, Pork Souvlaki for me, Chicken for my wife and a beer each...The owner brought out watermelon for dessert gratis...Very nice.  Tonight, we were next door to that at "Oroscopo"...ordered a sizable individual pizza each--Coke for her and a 500 ml Fix Lager for me.  They brought out , GRATIS, great bread with Olive Tapenade, then a cup of soup for each of us...again no charge...and, at the end of the meal--free dessert--some sort of custard-filled pastry.  Everything was WONDERFUL...for 32 Euros TOTAL!

Tomorrow, we have a full day tour set up to Delphi and the company is picking us up and dropping us off at the Hilton...

We're leaving Friday open for now...and, Saturday, we have a taxi pre-arranged from the Hilton to the pier for 23 Euros...

The Hilton room is wonderful--clean, very modern...Very comfortable King-size bed, great working air conditioning and a large balcony with two chairs and a table and a nice view from the 9th floor.  And the room rate was LESS than any of the recommended hotels in the Plaka.  I am VERY HAPPY we chose to stay here.

Thanks for sharing your information I was looking at booking them also. 

3 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Thanks for this update, based on maps I never understood why some posters said it was out of the way. 

Are the renovations continuing in the hotel?  Since last fall the website refers to the work and I wonder if it will be disruptive to your stay.  Even today, the site makes reference to it.  Thanks.

52 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Thanks for this update, based on maps I never understood why some posters said it was out of the way. 

Are the renovations continuing in the hotel?  Since last fall the website refers to the work and I wonder if it will be disruptive to your stay.  Even today, the site makes reference to it.  Thanks.

Well...it is a little "out of the way" in that it is not right in the Plaka...as many people desire to be right there.  OTOH, the Plaka is extremely touristy and busy...and, for the most part is an endless mass of tourist gift shops selling the same junk and very touristy eateries.  It is very close to the Acropolis though there are only so many ties you need to visit that.  The Hilton is in a very different kind of neighborhood--sort of more "normal"...but it is not really that far of a walk away and is very close to a lot of museums and parks.  We have no problem walking an easy mile to get to the Plaka if we want...but, I guess, some people do.  Of course, if that is a problem, there are always taxis.

As to the renovations, yes, they are happening right now...But, aside from the pool being currently closed and a few areas obviously under construction near the lobby, we'd hardly know it.  Our room is absolutely quiet and unaffected and we don't really have need for the pool.  The gym is open but with some covid-related occupancy restrictions, restaurant open as well...

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 3:37 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Glad to hear it worked for you. Wasn't anything personal; you asked for advice and we gave it. 

Wherever I travel I like to be in the midst of things for two reasons: 1) it is easier to pop back into the hotel during the day if you should need to change shoes or clothes, drop off a bag, take a quick rest, grab a guidebook. And 2) I just enjoy the liveliness of most of these city centers. 

I would not be keen on walking a mile into Athens in the heat of late July when I know I'll be on my feet most of the day anyway -- but we are all different.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, jameslee said:

I plan on going on this celebrity cruise too but i read that the ship returns at 5:00 am how soon before can you leave the ship? I have flight at 9:50 i need to catch and not sure if it is ok

9:50 is too early. Just because the ship docks at 5am does not mean you'll be getting off her at 5:05. It can take a while, particularly in Athens, to get the clearance, get luggage set out, etc.  

You want to allow 3 hours at the airport for an international flight, less if you are flying to a destination in Europe. Plus the drive from port to airport takes about 45 minutes, give or take....

• Like 1

IIRC, the first passengers didn't disembark until about 7-7:30 and virtually everyone not doing a B2B was off by about 9:30--but that was with only 800 or so passengers.  We left the ship around 9:00, then, it's a walk to the check-out and then to get the luggage.  We found our pre-arranged taxi driver fairly quickly, but then had to walk to where he was able to park the taxi...

Plan on a 45 minute drive from there to the airport-minimum...and, when you get to Athens Airport, it can be a zoo--At first it was hard to find the check-in for Air Canada...then we faced a fairly long line for check-in/luggage drop...then you need to get to the next long line for passport control--ours snaked back and forth 12 times and moved slowly...Then a line for security, then find the gate...

I would not even attempt a flight out before noon...and, with that, make sure you are in one of the earlier groups off the ship...

Thanks for your review.  I've always wondered if it's the lack of the Acropolis view that is the reason for many of the comments on the Hilton. I agree that Athens is actually quite walkable and have stayed on Syntagma Square and, this July, in an Airbnb on a little square with plenty of dining in Petralona on the backside of Filapappou Hill. It was a 20 minute walk to the tourist area.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

11 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Thanks for your review.  I've always wondered if it's the lack of the Acropolis view that is the reason for many of the comments on the Hilton. I agree that Athens is actually quite walkable and have stayed on Syntagma Square and, this July, in an Airbnb on a little square with plenty of dining in Petralona on the backside of Filapappou Hill. It was a 20 minute walk to the tourist area.

Lack of view?  We had Room 828 for our post-cruise stay...and the view of the Acropolis was INCREDIBLE...Virtually straight-on from the east, unobstructed...marvelous photos day and night...

acropolis - Picture of Hilton Athens - Tripadvisor

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Lack of view?  We had Room 828 for our post-cruise stay...and the view of the Acropolis was INCREDIBLE...Virtually straight-on from the east, unobstructed...marvelous photos day and night...

Perfect!

Clearly, I was mistaken.  Must be thinking of another hotel.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, laurel1234 said:

Any must see and do?  We are post cruise at the Hilton as well.  
many recommendations would be appreciated 

laurel,

This is Athens...So the number of important sites to see are many...both in the city and nearby.  Obviously, number one on everyone's list is the Acropolis and Parthenon.  Also, visit the Acropolis Museum and the Ancient Agora.  A walk through the Plaka is usually on the agenda (though, to be truthful, it's just a neverending bunch of tourist gift shops).  For us, this time, we also visited the Jewish Museum (in the Plaka).   Go see the Changing of the Guard at the Parliament Building on Syntagma Square.

If you have a number of days, there are several day trips out of the city well worth your time.  One visit, we hired a taxi tour company for a private tour to the Pelopenesse-- To Epidaurus, Mycenae and other incredible archeological sites--one of the best full day tours we've ever taken.  This visit, we did a group tour with CHAT Tours to Delphi...with hotel pick-up and drop-off from and to the Hilton--definitely an interesting trip out of town.  Another we've done in the past was a visit out to Cape Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon.  Lots to see.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 10:05 AM, laurel1234 said:

Any must see and do?  We are post cruise at the Hilton as well.  
many recommendations would be appreciated 

We just finished pre and post in Athens.   Outside of Athens we had a one day tour with PK Travel to Ancient Corinth, Canal, Epidaurus, Mycenae, and Nafplion with a driver snd licensed guide - pickup and drop off at hotel.   I highly recommend a licensed guide for the archeological sites.    This was a full day.   The guide spoke excellent English.   

we also did a 2 day trip with CatTaxi - picked us up at port with trip to Delphi and overnight in Meteora and then full day there with drop off late that evening at our hotel in Athens.    This was by far our favorite tour of our entire 2 weeks!  

I would recommend both companies , however  with CatTaxi we never felt rushed or felt like we were on a time schedule, except getting to Meteora in time for sunset (at my request).  There were numerous stops along the way and returning - stops no other tour company would take the time to do.   They do a variety of tours and  will book them exclusively the next time in Athens.  

I would recommend a private guide for any archaeological site to help you understand what you are seeing.  

On 9/22/2021 at 4:25 AM, ssbeard1 said:

We just finished pre and post in Athens.   Outside of Athens we had a one day tour with PK Travel to Ancient Corinth, Canal, Epidaurus, Mycenae, and Nafplion with a driver snd licensed guide - pickup and drop off at hotel.   I highly recommend a licensed guide for the archeological sites.    This was a full day.   The guide spoke excellent English.   

May I ask what the charge was for this tour? I have been looking at that very tour, but it's too early to contact the company.  I realize prices can change, but sure would like a ballbark figure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from my cruise and we stayed pre and post cruise at the Hilton. I was very happy with our stays as the hotel didn't seem very busy, and the service was very attentive. Just an FYI, part of the hotel is being renovated so there may be construction noise, but it's limited to the day. We were out most of the day so it didn't bother us. We enjoyed views of the Acropolis from our balconies. Just to reiterate, the walk to the Plaka is quite doable and pleasant. You'll pass by museums and embassies on the way.  Also, the hotel is literally a stop on the Red Hop On/Hop Off bus which is convenient if you take the tour. IMO, the HO/HO bus tour is not a necessity in Athens, as many of the tourist sites are all within walking distance around the Plaka. But if you want a break from all the walking in the afternoon sun, it's a 90 minute ride through the city including a stop near the Hilton.

20210916_135941.jpg

Edited by rmf1352
spelling
  • Thanks 1