Oh dear, have we made a mistake!

Cellen

I have read feedback about the Virtuosa cruises that is making me wonder if we made a mistake booking - our cruise leaves 14th August.  There are not enough staff to cope, even at 50% capacity and queues for everything.  We are travelling with 2 children and they will want to use the kids clubs but they are always over-subscribed, and the water park is only open for 3 hours per day so again long queues, plus the other pools are often closed.  Can anyone else give some insight into their Virtuosa experience since capacity was increased.  Thanks.

I sailed before the capacity increase, but it was like a ghost ship then so I struggle to believe the queues can be that bad. There were lots of staff around with nothing to do, so unless they've reduced the crew it shouldn't be a problem for you. The main pools were also open all day, although extras like the rope course did have a limited opening time, not sure about the water park. 

8 hours ago, Cellen said:

I have read feedback about the Virtuosa cruises that is making me wonder if we made a mistake booking - our cruise leaves 14th August.  There are not enough staff to cope, even at 50% capacity and queues for everything.  We are travelling with 2 children and they will want to use the kids clubs but they are always over-subscribed, and the water park is only open for 3 hours per day so again long queues, plus the other pools are often closed.  Can anyone else give some insight into their Virtuosa experience since capacity was increased.  Thanks.

Hi the pools are open. I'm currently on the Virtuosa as we speak. The pools were closed on the 1st sea day till the afternoon because someone decided to go to the toilet in the main pool so we were told. So had to empty clean etc. All the hot tubs are open too.

As for queues in the kids club we been passed there a couple of times on the way to the Horizon bar at the back and yes it's busy there but I don't know if it's just the morning rush to drop off kids or they are they are overbooked. I can't advise on that. The main pool area does get really busy if weather is nice. There is the indoor pool which is next to the main pool and the Horizon pool at the back of the ship.then right on top deck the water park at the back. I was on the 3rd July sailing max we had on board was 1500 hardly any children and not busy back on again 2 weeks later 50% yes it's busier and the only place I've had to queue on ship is in the buffet as they haven't opened it up fully so only 2 sides open during breakfast, lunch and one side in the evening. Also queued to get in main dining room but this because they are doing temperature checks before going in. You have to remember in normal circumstances people get off during port visits a lot more than currently as before no restrictions where as now you can only get off if your going on a msc bubble tour. So not many people getting off and staying on the ship instead so it always seems busy. I have been on the Bellissima sister ship to the Virtuosa at full capacity and it was weird that it never felt like there were 5k plus people on board but that was before covid. I don't know if this helps you in anyway but she is a lovely ship it's clean and the staff to be fair can't do enough. Food is good the cocktails are good and I for one wouldn't hesitate to to come back on again.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Hi the pools are open. I'm currently on the Virtuosa as we speak. The pools were closed on the 1st sea day till the afternoon because someone decided to go to the toilet in the main pool so we were told. So had to empty clean etc. All the hot tubs are open too.

As for queues in the kids club we been passed there a couple of times on the way to the Horizon bar at the back and yes it's busy there but I don't know if it's just the morning rush to drop off kids or they are they are overbooked. I can't advise on that. The main pool area does get really busy if weather is nice. There is the indoor pool which is next to the main pool and the Horizon pool at the back of the ship.then right on top deck the water park at the back. I was on the 3rd July sailing max we had on board was 1500 hardly any children and not busy back on again 2 weeks later 50% yes it's busier and the only place I've had to queue on ship is in the buffet as they haven't opened it up fully so only 2 sides open during breakfast, lunch and one side in the evening. Also queued to get in main dining room but this because they are doing temperature checks before going in. You have to remember in normal circumstances people get off during port visits a lot more than currently as before no restrictions where as now you can only get off if your going on a msc bubble tour. So not many people getting off and staying on the ship instead so it always seems busy. I have been on the Bellissima sister ship to the Virtuosa at full capacity and it was weird that it never felt like there were 5k plus people on board but that was before covid. I don't know if this helps you in anyway but she is a lovely ship it's clean and the staff to be fair can't do enough. Food is good the cocktails are good and I for one wouldn't hesitate to to come back on again.

Very helpful and informative so thanks. 

one question if I may is have you done any excursions or spoken to anyone who has?

• Like 1

We were on the cruise before this one (17th July) 

We could tell the difference instantly because when we disembarked the ship at 9:30 there was already a queue of approximately 200 people waiting to check in and the first time isn't until 11. This didn't happen on our cruise. 

People have suggested that the limit is 20 kids per group which seems really low for school holidays. Again our cruise had a massive increase in children however not as many as on this sailing. We didn't have a problem and I don't think you'll have a problem arriving 20 minutes before the session starts. The issue seems to be with kids arriving midway through a session and it already being full. 

I'm sure you'll have a great time, it is what you make of it so if you focus on the negative things then you will have a negative experience. We had two rather large issues (one before boarding and one onboard) which if we had focused on them could have ruined the entire cruise for us all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brum84 said:

Very helpful and informative so thanks. 

one question if I may is have you done any excursions or spoken to anyone who has?

I haven't done any off the excursions but I'm not one for sitting on a coach for 3 hrs. However on my 1st cruise on 3rd July we had some friends who did a walking tour round Liverpool and that was really good and they also did a coach tour in Ireland which was OK but they were stuck on the coach. I think they had one stop to take photos. Ziggy who comments on here may see I've posted and hopefully can give you more details and he was on our 3rd July cruise.

I'm on Virtuosa at the moment.

Its reminding me a lot of why I dislike sailing out of Southampton. Full of moaning Brits moaning about everything. Getting pissed up to the eyeballs, being rude to staff.

"It's not Independence" is being mentioned quite a bit. Quite right, it's a totally different cruise line and a totally different ship.

For the price paid all inclusive I'm have a great week and enjoying the British Isles as best as possibly. You'll have a great time too.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

I haven't done any off the excursions but I'm not one for sitting on a coach for 3 hrs. However on my 1st cruise on 3rd July we had some friends who did a walking tour round Liverpool and that was really good and they also did a coach tour in Ireland which was OK but they were stuck on the coach. I think they had one stop to take photos. Ziggy who comments on here may see I've posted and hopefully can give you more details and he was on our 3rd July cruise.

@Brum84

I think you have covered most of it, the Liverpool walking tour is great if you have not been to Liverpool before, the guide we had was excellent and gave loads of information. There was only one comfort stop (Albert dock) but he did say if anyone was in need he would sort something out.

Loved walking down the Cavern club street, shame we could not go in anywhere but it has me interested to return!

The Belfast Ards Peninsula was nice with lovely scenery but it was 3 hours on a coach, we did not do the Belfast tour as we spent a we there 2 years ago. The only stop on this tour was Stormont (I did note someone on another tour said they had 2 stops), the guide "Lolly" was very good, almost nuts with her enthusiasm. There was no comfort break on our coach tour and, I know 3 hours is a long time for some, again she said if anyone was in need she would sort something out.

The thing to remember on all the tours, if you leave the group you will not be allowed back on the ship, so (especially on the walking tour) keep close to the group and say if they go too fast.

Also you can't go into shops or museums, mixing with others is not allowed at all, you have to remain in the ships bubble at all times.

Overall I think they were both worth it, I wish we could have done the Scottish lochs tours but unfortunately our ship could not dock at Greenock which was a big disappointment for us not just for the tour but the scenery sailing into and up up the Clyde. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stuffthis123 said:

We did the walking tour in Liverpool, it was very good, considering you couldn't go in anywhere! The guide was excellent and there's plenty to see just a short walk from the ship.

Did you have the same guide as us? He looked a little bit like Les Dennis, he was really good. 

1 hour ago, Stuffthis123 said:

I think our guide's name was Paul. Could be same chap, late 50s, with sandy, Les coloured style hair but not as slight as I recall Les being on Family Fortunes!

That sounds like him, he put the MSC paddle in his satchel and used an umbrella until in sight of the ship when the paddle came out again 😂

Im on this cruise too with wife and 6 year old daughter and we're really looking forward to it.

I take the negative reviews with a pinch of salt; some people just can't be pleased.

We sailed on the MSC Seaview a couple of years ago and enjoyed the MSC experience. I know this cruise will be different and it's a shame that passengers can only get off the ship on a MSC excursion (which are very limited in number and appear  predominantly coach-based), but a holiday is what you make of it. Focus on the positive and try to forgive and forget the negative. 

See you on board!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Never too young to cruise said:

Im on this cruise too with wife and 6 year old daughter and we're really looking forward to it.

I take the negative reviews with a pinch of salt; some people just can't be pleased.

We sailed on the MSC Seaview a couple of years ago and enjoyed the MSC experience. I know this cruise will be different and it's a shame that passengers can only get off the ship on a MSC excursion (which are very limited in number and appear  predominantly coach-based), but a holiday is what you make of it. Focus on the positive and try to forgive and forget the negative. 

See you on board!

Absolutely couldn't agree with you more 😀 I have done 7 msc cruises and loved every single one of them. Yes they aren't perfect but no cruise line is and you will always get people complain. I have 1 more booked this year on the Seaview and 2 next year One on the Magnifica and one on the seaside. 🙂

• Like 1