LIVE (hopefully) from the Nieuw Amsterdam's 2nd Alsakan Sailing

Brentt_M

22 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

The library right next to the dock supposedly has very good wifi, but @liam1965 is absolutely right the ship internet has been crap since I woke up this morning.

I'll have to check the hours for the library to see if they will still be open after our shore excursion.   May need to try using my phone's hotspot with my laptop if cell service is strong.  Keep us updated on wifi as the week progresses.   Thanks.

31 minutes ago, squarepi said:

Probably precautionary due to passengers returning, most of whom were not masked up while they were out and about. That's my guess.

Possible, but I somehow doubt it.  They weren’t wearing these N95s on embarkation day, when 1588 people were coming from across the country and possibly world.  And they weren’t for the first three hours that people were ashore and returning, the fact that they all changed at about 5:30 (shore trips started at 1) seems suspicious to me.

Thank you for sharing this sentimental cruise with all of us, Brentt..

I would like to know if there are HAL photographers aboard.  What have you noticed?  And have you seen a photo package deal??  Thank you.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin

6 minutes ago, bcummin said:

Thank you for sharing this sentimental cruise with all of us.

I would like to know if there are HAL photographers aboard.  What have you noticed?  And have you seen a photo package deal??  Thank you.

Barbara

There are photogs.  My wife and I are not attractive people, so we avoid them like vampires avoid mirrors, so I can’t tell you about packages, but there are definitely photographers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, bcummin said:

Thank you for sharing this sentimental cruise with all of us, Brentt..

Barbara

I haven't been paying attention to that really, but I know they did the embarkation photos and had photographers around on gala night.  Outside of that I don't remember seeing them and I have not looked at any packages, etc

• Like 2

Just watched Magician & Illusionist Joseph Reohm in the main stage.  I thought it was a very good performance and he was rather funny.  He had my daughter laughing and the general HAL audience at the the ssme time and that is not always the easiest thing to do.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hey Brentt (or cruisers) trying to get a peak at Cabin 4045 or 4046 layouts.  Can you see if you can get a photo for me?  In the planning stages for the next month or so and wanna know what I am getting in to if I request the cabin (its an obstructed balcony cabin that is turned sideways, not the typical long narrow cabin)

Thanks

Edited by OhioLair
misspelling

5 hours ago, Brentt_M said:

Just watched Magician & Illusionist Joseph Reohm in the main stage.  I thought it was a very good performance and he was rather funny.  He had my daughter laughing and the general HAL audience at the the ssme time and that is not always the easiest thing to do.

He is very good ..

6 hours ago, Brentt_M said:

I am glad you and the daughter enjoyed the  the magic act.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OhioLair said:

Hey Brentt (or cruisers) trying to get a peak at Cabin 4045 or 4046 layouts.  Can you see if you can get a photo for me?  In the planning stages for the next month or so and wanna know what I am getting in to if I request the cabin (its an obstructed balcony cabin that is turned sideways, not the typical long narrow cabin)

Thanks

I believe that you are confusing Nieuw Amsterdam with Nieuw Statendam.  The Nieuw Statendam has the lengthways obstructed cabins 4043/4044/4045/4046

Here is a link to 4045 and 4046 

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/4045-koningsdam/

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/4046-koningsdam/

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, canadianbear said:

I heard they were building a new “shelter” for the eagle.  Wonder where they’re keeping her until it’s done.  

They were nearly done with the new shelter back in July 2019.  I hope it's done by now.

Great reports, @Brentt_M and @liam1965!  Always loved the RDS and stop there every time we are in Juneau.

8 hours ago, liam1965 said:

Possible, but I somehow doubt it.  They weren’t wearing these N95s on embarkation day, when 1588 people were coming from across the country and possibly world.  And they weren’t for the first three hours that people were ashore and returning, the fact that they all changed at about 5:30 (shore trips started at 1) seems suspicious to me.

That timing could also be when the ship got them and distributed them.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, liam1965 said:

There are photogs.  My wife and I are not attractive people, so we avoid them like vampires avoid mirrors, so I can’t tell you about packages, but there are definitely photographers!

You mean not photogenic (rather than attractive) I'm sure.  Neither am I but my sister somehow is...I'm not sure how that came about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

You mean not photogenic (rather than attractive) I'm sure.  Neither am I but my sister somehow is...I'm not sure how that came about.

It was mostly a joke, neither of us enjoys having photos taken or viewing those photos, even though I’m told we’re relatively attractive (as aging, heavy set people go).  Probably a self image thing.

But the point of the post was that we have not sought out the photos nor asked the prices.

• Like 2

Lots of otters this morning, and I believe I heard the naturalist say a mother humpback and her calf on the other side of the ship, although I didn’t get to see them.

Also, a relatively nice day, quite happy!

• Like 4

Just saw a large group of white birds (geese?) flying with one puffin among them.

I always feel so sorry for the little puffins, they always look like they have to work so hard to stay in the air with the larger, more graceful looking birds!

• Like 1