Adventure - new testing requirement

Just got off the phone with a customer relations supervisor following the email they sent out that magically highlighted the mask requirement but not the change in the pre cruise test requirement. 

Net net …. ALL passengers must have a PCR test within 3 days of sailing. Antigen tests will no longer be accepted. 

So we've gone from 5 day PCR test to 3 day PCR/antigen test to 3 day PCR test in the matter of 1 week?

Throw in the new mask mandate, all the benefits of sailing out of the Bahamas are pretty much gone

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 3

Note this also.....Bahamas requires an PCR or Antigen for vaccinated people also at 5 days before if you are vaccinated.  (unvaccinated at 3 days and PCR only).  I really don't care what test I get, but what is hard for people is the fact you have to upload this in the Bahamas Visa, after your test results. So if you fly on Friday, for the cruise on Saturday, you need the test on Wednesday.  but it has 2 day turnaround, putting you at hopefully on Thursday, which is cutting it close 

I already did this for this year on a land based trip, with a 72 hour window instead of a 3 day window, and it was pretty nerve racking waiting 

Edited by Joseph2017China

1 hour ago, Crism said:

The Royal website has PCR in one area and "PCR or Antigen" in another.

Some further information that I was able to find out. Starting tomorrow the law or regulations in the Bahamas changes so they are only accepting PCR tests for people who fly in and for the cruise departing from Nassau. I did find a Company that a friend referred me too that will come to your hotel and administer the RTPCR and they commit to having the results back within 12 hours. It’s a little pricey at $140 per person. 

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

So we've gone from 5 day PCR test to 3 day PCR/antigen test to 3 day PCR test in the matter of 1 week?

Throw in the new mask mandate, all the benefits of sailing out of the Bahamas are pretty much gone

Not pretty much.... but gone. To fly it was going to take us 6 hours with changing planes in Miami... if we didn't get Covid doing that...

16 hours ago, jasongoldberg said:

Just got off the phone with a customer relations supervisor following the email they sent out that magically highlighted the mask requirement but not the change in the pre cruise test requirement. 

Net net …. ALL passengers must have a PCR test within 3 days of sailing. Antigen tests will no longer be accepted. 

For anyone who has not read any of the related threads regarding this subject, I believe the OP received incorrect information when he initially contacted RCL.

Antigen tests WILL be accepted , the email sent should have said PCR or Antigen will be acceptable,  informing passengers about the updated ‘Masks’ policy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 7:10 AM, wallyj said:

For anyone who has not read any of the related threads regarding this subject, I believe the OP received incorrect information when he initially contacted RCL.

Antigen tests WILL be accepted , the email sent should have said PCR or Antigen will be acceptable,  informing passengers about the updated ‘Masks’ policy.

No, I emailed RCL on Friday evening and received a response this afternoon affirming that only PCR test will be excepted at the port on Saturday.  Not going to risk being turned away. I was able to schedule our PCR tests for Wednesday afternoon with a guaranteed to turn around of 6 to 12 hours.

Edited by jasongoldberg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jasongoldberg said:

No, I emailed RCL on Friday evening and received a response this afternoon affirming that only PCR test will be excepted at the port on Saturday.  Not going to risk being turned away. I was able to schedule our PCR tests for Wednesday afternoon with a guaranteed to turn around of 6 to 12 hours.

Hi @jasongoldberg, I believe you are traveling with a child under 12 who cannot be vaccinated so they need a ‘PCR’ test.

Your post #5 I think is incorrect, I just visited the Bahamas website and the update effective August 6 for Vaccinated passengers is Antigen or PCR test. Since you are traveling with ‘unvaccinated’ passenger, you do need ‘PCR’ for that child, but  ‘antigen’ would be fine for any vaccinated in your party. Please visit the Bahamas website for verification.

The other threads relating to antigen or PCR also have responses from M. Bayley stating Antigen is also accepted. I called myself and was assured by a resolutions customer service representative ‘antigen’ test will be accepted. I asked would it be possible for RCL to send email letting us know the previous email forgot to include ‘antigen’. Her response was she documented my call, gave me a ‘service request’ tracking number in case anyone challenged me bringing ‘antigen’ test result.

Follow whatever makes you feel most comfortable, this board is an open forum.

I am reporting my experience and frustration with RCL communications, and have more grey hairs thanks to the stress of verifying will antigen test still be accepted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My TA called Royal for me, and she was told antigen is fine for vaccinated passengers.  I really wish Royal would put out a clarifying email or statement so that we all know for sure.  I’m tired of canceling and rescheduling my test appointment.  As far as the Bahamas requirement, hopefully antigen is accepted because it’s a really short window to get a PCR, and apply for the visa given lab results are tending to be more delayed lately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

My TA called Royal for me, and she was told antigen is fine for vaccinated passengers.  I really wish Royal would put out a clarifying email or statement so that we all know for sure.  I’m tired of canceling and rescheduling my test appointment.  As far as the Bahamas requirement, hopefully antigen is accepted because it’s a really short window to get a PCR, and apply for the visa given lab results are tending to be more delayed lately.

Hi @3kidsncats, do a quick check at the Bahamas website and it should verify vaccinated can have antigen or PCR, I have also canceled and rescheduled twice going from antigen to PCR then back to antigen test scheduled for 8/18. 

At least you have decided hubby only will do one test on 8/18 like you instead of trying to do an early one to secure Health visa.

I did ask the resolutions customer service agent to see if RCL would send email but all she offered was my record was documented and gave me a service request tracking number for anybody to check Antigen is acceptable. See you on board.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 11:16 PM, wallyj said:

Hi @3kidsncats, do a quick check at the Bahamas website and it should verify vaccinated can have antigen or PCR, I have also canceled and rescheduled twice going from antigen to PCR then back to antigen test scheduled for 8/18. 

At least you have decided hubby only will do one test on 8/18 like you instead of trying to do an early one to secure Health visa.

I did ask the resolutions customer service agent to see if RCL would send email but all she offered was my record was documented and gave me a service request tracking number for anybody to check Antigen is acceptable. See you on board.

New email came out this AM:

All Guests  
As a requirement to board, all guests age 2 and older will need to present a negative result from a PCR test for COVID-19 taken no more than 3 days before your sail date. Please note, this is a requirement of Royal Caribbean for our guests and is above and beyond what is required by The Bahamas. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.  

1 hour ago, jasongoldberg said:

All Guests  
As a requirement to board, all guests age 2 and older will need to present a negative result from a PCR test for COVID-19 taken no more than 3 days before your sail date. Please note, this is a requirement of Royal Caribbean for our guests and is above and beyond what is required by The Bahamas. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.  

That is confusing given Bahamas updated requirements.  https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates

Now if you get your results ... for antigen test 3 days before and then file for Bahamas Health Visa... that should allow one test for both. Not sure what you do if you plan on going several days early..two test?

I have not received an email today, and at the moment I’m not going to stress about it.  My TA has a record of the inquiry and response on which tests are accepted.  If they chose to waffle back and forth about it giving conflicting info between emails, announcements, communications to TAs, then they can expect a lot of people to show up with one test or the other.  I understand and accept that the situation is fluid, but as far as which test you need, they need to make up their mind, and get the information effectively and consistently to their passengers.  

6 minutes ago, jentravelrn said:

Well nothing is getting any easier... now I hear there is a possible tropical storm heading towards Florida.... and Bahamas... won't impact sailing...but will American Airlines be up to handling bad weather.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jasongoldberg said:

All Guests  

Hi @jasongoldberg, is your email you received today dated August 9?

Have also received email about PCR but it states for unvaccinated and if vaccinated you can ignore.

This wording matched the wording on the August 5 email about masking but also included the testing info as above. Which I verified with RCL left out ‘antigen’ also accepted.

I know you are traveling soon, so I know you might not get to this, but also hope you do not have to go to the expense of getting ‘PCR’ test for your older son and yourself if not needed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wallyj said:

Hi @jasongoldberg, is your email you received today dated August 9?

Have also received email about PCR but it states for unvaccinated and if vaccinated you can ignore.

This wording matched the wording on the August 5 email about masking but also included the testing info as above. Which I verified with RCL left out ‘antigen’ also accepted.

I know you are traveling soon, so I know you might not get to this, but also hope you do not have to go to the expense of getting ‘PCR’ test for your older son and yourself if not needed.

Yes, it was delivered at 8:35am ET today.  As of now I have the doctor coming to test all three of us on Wednesday after we arrive. There is so much different info floating around. Even the reminder email about the unvaxxed test at the port says it’s a PCR — which we know it isn’t. I figure I’ll suck it up ah get the three tests for peace of mind that I won’t have troubles on Saturday. It’s hard enough traveling alone with two kids — the stress of the ever changing protocols doesn’t help. I just want to be onboard and relaxing in 5 days. 

Here is a question. PCR tests can have false positive results. If you were exposed, you could be asymptomatic or your could of had symptoms and completed quarantine and still shed virus particles for up to at least three months, and not be infectious because the particles are dead. The PCR test can't tell the difference.  How do you abide by the negative test within 72 hours knowing these false positives are extremely possible,?

Edited by hac82

4 minutes ago, hac82 said:

Here is a question. PCR tests can have false positive results. If you were exposed, you could be asymptomatic or your could of had symptoms and completed quarantine and still shed virus particles for up to at least three months, and not be infectious because the particles are dead. The PCR test can't tell the difference.  How do you abide by the negative test within 72 hours knowing these false positives are extremely possible,?

All three of the major test types have some false positives however the antigen test has far more false positives and error rate then the PCR tests. The NAATPCR test that is on the market now is extremely reliable. However, you are absolutely right that someone can test positive For a long time after they contracted the virus. For now, it looks like those people will be excluded. Unlike air travel back into the United States where Airlines will accept letters from physicians of prior positivity and recovery, the cruise line has not issued any statements on this.  In general, it is best practice to blow your nose well prior to any swab.  

personally, I think that we are going to be in this state until vaccinations are readily available to the under 12 segments, along with distribution of booster shots.  I’ve heard lots of talk about alignment of the booster shots with flu shots in the fall and winter.