No Pier Testing: Do The Cruise Lines Want To Lose More Money/Customers?

atexsix

11 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

The only reason there were long lines for this first cruise of NCL is because Eurofins Clinical that is conducting the covid testing had their computer system crashed. Prior to that happening it was going quite smoothly. NCL is paying for this for their passengers. It is being conducted at the Marriot Resort that is across the street from pier 66. Passengers can log on and make an appointment prior to their assigned boarding time. Stuff happens and Eurofins has promised NCL they will not have issues for upcoming weeks but all in all NCL passengers are happy with what NCL is doing for them. Go over to their CC board, you will not have people stressed out about paying for or trying to locate a place they can be tested. NCL is just handling it for them. 

True.  No stress at all.  Directions are very clear and easy.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Tampa Girl, would you feel differently depending on the luxury level of the cruise?  I think I would.  Normally we are extremely independent, but it was kinda jarring to read the post here of the Seabourn passenger who was not offered assistance in obtaining a test.  I think I'd expect a bit more hand-holding from a luxury line.  Same as I would from upper-tier hotel.  I don't expect too much from a mainstream cruise line.

I'm genuinely curious to hear thoughts on this, as we are in new territory and expectations are being set.

Good question, and I had to think about it, never having sailed on a true luxury line.  But in answer to your question, no, I would not feel any differently.  This may be due partly to my profession (law) which requires that I research and evaluate.  While I do not absolve the cruise line for any failure to adequately  inform their passengers of current rules, I believe that we have the responsibility to do our own investigating and confirming information given us by a questionably knowledgeable agent or staff person.  "Due diligence" best describes it.  OTOH, I do expect some handholding once on the ship and certainly appreciate it prior to boarding.  I just don't want to have to depend upon it.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Go over to their CC board, you will not have people stressed out about paying for or trying to locate a place they can be tested. NCL is just handling it for them. 

Lisa, My understanding this is for NCL only; not Holland America unless you know something different?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKJonesy said:

Lisa, My understanding this is for NCL only; not Holland America unless you know something different?

Lisa meant to go over to the NCL Cruise Critic forum and observe, not Pier 66.

Wow.  I never thought this thread would be 5 pages long.  I read over a lot of the responses and I respect everybody's feedback and opinion, it's helped us a lot, even if I don't always agree. 

Now that the dust has settled I still don't think HAL made the right move here.  After several days of discussion on the matter I feel a hybrid approach would have been in there best interest.  Offer an incentive to people that can test on their own, and have something available at the pier for those that can't.  But they didn't even try!  Contrary to what some of you stated, they do have the infrastructure to support a testing operation, they turn around ships with thousands of people on them every day, they feed thousands of people every day, so they lose major credibility if this were to form the basis of their argument.  To those of you that feel it shouldn't be the cruise lines responsibility citing airlines as your main example, I disagree, an airline can put you on another flight fairly easily, that's a little harder for a cruise line to do, "here's a refund, now go home" is not going to win you repeat customers in a travel market the size of the U.S., there are simply too many other enticing alternatives.

We were able to find several testing options for ourselves, but we have two things going for us that most people don't.  One, we live in a major metro area and have a lot of places to choose from.  And two, we are 25 miles from Pier 91, and have the full 3 days available to us. 

As to whether or not we are going to cruise, we're on the fence, I'd like to see if they go back to orange or green over the next couple of sailings.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AKJonesy said:

It is for NCL only, I am just stating that NCL is making it extremely easy for their passengers while HAL, Princess and Carnival are making it extremely difficult and costly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible that NCL offered testing assistance for the Encore's first sailing of the season (Aug 7) because the mandatory testing requirement was announced with short notice and NCL didn't want to deny boarding to anyone who didn't have time to get tested?

At Pier 91, after the testing requirement was announced the first sailing of the different brands offered one time assistance with testing.  Going forward, passengers are expected to take on that responsibility themselves.

Is NCL still offering testing for its Seattle/Alaska cruises?

48 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Is NCL still offering testing for its Seattle/Alaska cruises?

It would probably be best to check the NCL board as this is a HAL board, and also check with NCL.  I know that the Marriott that was mentioned did say that even though they were doing testing at the Marriott near the pier, it was NCL that was in charge of it.

@atexsix I completely agree with you (post #107).  Unlike you, I don't have testing nearby so I am looking to see what can be done in Seattle and not being from the Seattle metro area, I am looking to others to help me out.  Despite what a couple of others would say, I appreciate any information that can be provided ESPECIALLY during this time of constant change.  I do wish that HAL would do something like NCL even if there is a cost associated, but believe that I will probably have to get this figured out.  I have a couple of options BASED UPON HELPFUL INFORMATION ON THIS THREAD for getting tested.  I'm on the fence now but still have a little time to cancel.  My husband says go, and I say not sure.  

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

Wow.  I never thought this thread would be 5 pages long.  I read over a lot of the responses and I respect everybody's feedback and opinion, it's helped us a lot, even if I don't always agree. 

Now that the dust has settled I still don't think HAL made the right move here.  After several days of discussion on the matter I feel a hybrid approach would have been in there best interest.  Offer an incentive to people that can test on their own, and have something available at the pier for those that can't.  But they didn't even try!  Contrary to what some of you stated, they do have the infrastructure to support a testing operation, they turn around ships with thousands of people on them every day, they feed thousands of people every day, so they lose major credibility if this were to form the basis of their argument.  To those of you that feel it shouldn't be the cruise lines responsibility citing airlines as your main example, I disagree, an airline can put you on another flight fairly easily, that's a little harder for a cruise line to do, "here's a refund, now go home" is not going to win you repeat customers in a travel market the size of the U.S., there are simply too many other enticing alternatives.

We were able to find several testing options for ourselves, but we have two things going for us that most people don't.  One, we live in a major metro area and have a lot of places to choose from.  And two, we are 25 miles from Pier 91, and have the full 3 days available to us. 

As to whether or not we are going to cruise, we're on the fence, I'd like to see if they go back to orange or green over the next couple of sailings.

The hybrid model would be best.  Some people would get tested in advance to speed up their boarding process.  Others would just wait and do it at the pier for convenience.  At the end of the day the cruise line bean counters have determined it's in the cruise lines best interest(bottom line) to make the passengers do this on their own.  I am personally hoping they just remove the testing once they can sail 100% vaccinated and if someone gets sick just quarantine them to their room till the next port or the cruise is over.  If everyone is vaccinated on the ship there is very little chance of anyone becoming seriously ill in the first place.  That was the main reason to get vaccinated in the first place.

9 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

The hybrid model would be best.  Some people would get tested in advance to speed up their boarding process.  Others would just wait and do it at the pier for convenience.  At the end of the day the cruise line bean counters have determined it's in the cruise lines best interest(bottom line) to make the passengers do this on their own.  I am personally hoping they just remove the testing once they can sail 100% vaccinated and if someone gets sick just quarantine them to their room till the next port or the cruise is over.  If everyone is vaccinated on the ship there is very little chance of anyone becoming seriously ill in the first place.  That was the main reason to get vaccinated in the first place.

HAL is requiring all Passengers on AK to be Vaccinated and still requiring a PCR or Antigen Test for Boarding.  They are also selling their Carib Cruises as "Vaccinated" so that should be interesting when they are Sailing from Florida.  

I agree that the Hybrid Model would be best.  For us, we rather get it done at home at our local CVS and have Test Results in hand to show along with VAX Card, Passport, Boarding Pass, etc.  For some that cannot get it at home or want the convenience of Testing at the Pier it would be great if HAL provided it for them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

HAL is requiring all Passengers on AK to be Vaccinated and still requiring a PCR or Antigen Test for Boarding.  They are also selling their Carib Cruises as "Vaccinated" so that should be interesting when they are Sailing from Florida.  

I agree that the Hybrid Model would be best.  For us, we rather get it done at home at our local CVS and have Test Results in hand to show along with VAX Card, Passport, Boarding Pass, etc.  For some that cannot get it at home or want the convenience of Testing at the Pier it would be great if HAL provided it for them.

Have we determined that HAL is requiring positive cases leave the ship at the next port?  Even if people don't have symptoms?

It's under discussion in another thread because the worry free information on the website is ironically causing more worry, it's too vague.

Edited by atexsix

2 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

I think that is overkill personally, but I chalk the decision up to the bean counters to try and filter as many bad apples as possible before the cruise.  I can understand the virus mutates and all but if its nothing worse than the flu with the vaccination they should just let it ride and confine people to their quarters if they get it.  We knew covid would be around for a while and we would live with it once we had a good vaccine.  We have that now and people who have it should be able to not have to jump though hurdles to go on a vacation.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Have we determined that HAL is requiring positive cases leave the ship at the next port?  Even if people don't have symptoms?

It's under discussion in another thread because the worry free information on the website is ironically causing more worry, it's too vague.

There is no mandatory testing going on once aboard the ship. The only way a positive case is identified once on board is if someone voluntarily reports to medical that they have symptons and they will perform a test then. On my cruise last week there was a lady that had a continuous dry cough and everyone in that lounge kept looking at her with an eyebrow raised but that was all that happened.  A few people moved away, but the hal staff didn't seem to be concerned at all.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be the first time I've dealt with the "beancounters" as some of you put it.  I left the machine trades because of that, they were increasingly dictating when we could take equipment down for maintenance and for how long which led to failure, costly repairs, and more downtime in the end; none of them had ever set foot on the factory floor let alone run a machine.

Beancounters have no business mandating operations.  That's what created HAL's mess.  They claimed somewhere they have a medical advisor, I wonder how many cruises that person has taken?

11 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I don't know,  Bruno.  We know they have Balcony Rooms set aside for anyone suspected or has Covid and will be Quarantined.  It may depend on how sick the Passenger is and if they need hospitalization whether they Debark them or return them to Homeport?  Any rate they will most likely have a Care Team Member make arrangements, etc. for anyone who does have to Debark.

I haven't really been following what the other Cruise Lines have been doing that do have Covid Positives Onboard.  That my give an idea of how it's handled. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brentt_M said:

There is no mandatory testing going on once aboard the ship. The only way a positive case is identified once on board is if someone voluntarily reports to medical that they have symptons and they will perform a test then. On my cruise last week there was a lady that had a continuous dry cough and everyone in that lounge kept looking at her with an eyebrow raised but that was all that happened.  A few people moved away, but the hal staff didn't seem to be concerned at all.

I would hope not.  I had wondered if we'd see the return of the infamous "house detective" via our room stewards reporting sneezes and coughs or even just the decision to take meals in your stateroom for the day, something I once did after a bout of depression during a sailing. 

But I think this question came up in the Carnival forum a couple weeks ago as to how they connected the dots if they weren't doing temp checks.  Are they relying 100% on people's integrity?

2 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

I don't know,  Bruno.  We know they have Balcony Rooms set aside for anyone suspected or has Covid and will be Quarantined.  It may depend on how sick the Passenger is and if they need hospitalization whether they Debark them or return them to Homeport?  Any rate they will most likely have a Care Team Member make arrangements, etc. for anyone who does have to Debark.

I haven't really been following what the other Cruise Lines have been doing that do have Covid Positives Onboard.  That my give an idea of how it's handled. 

That's why there's been so much confusion, leading to speculating, etc.  Not all the cruise lines are being forthcoming on this.  We'd be able to make a better decision if cruising is right for us at this time if we knew what they were doing with asymptomatic or mild symptom cases.  

30 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I don't know that HAL has faced that situation yet. As already stated, the only way cases are going to come to light on these HAL Alaska cruises is if someone reports symptoms and then undergoes testing onboard. None of the Alaska ports require testing, and there is no requirement for a test in order to return to Seattle (hence the difference with what Celebrity was experiencing on their St Martin cruises). The only other testing would be for someone who is not a US resident and presumably requires a test for their onward flight and arrival back to their own country.

On the other hand, we can be fairly sure that Celebrity's procedure for cruises sailing from or near to the US are to isolate anyone testing positive until they can be flown home (not to their home port but to their actual home). At least for now.

To those who think it is overkill, keep in mind that some of these are symptomatic cases, and perhaps just remember how well isolation worked back in early 2020 onboard cruise ships (not very).  Delta variant is making vaccinated people ill and is very easily spread to others. Of all cruises I think HAL's demographic is one of the oldest, meaning a higher number of patients who may be more susceptible and have a less robust response to vaccines.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't know that HAL has faced that situation yet. As already stated, the only way cases are going to come to light on HAL is if someone reports symptoms and then undergoes testing onboard. None of the Alaska ports require testing, and there is no requirement for a test in order to return to Seattle (hence the difference with what Celebrity was experiencing on their St Martin cruises). The only other testing would be for someone who is not a US resident and presumably requires a test for their onward flight and arrival back to their own country.

On the other hand, we can be fairly sure that Celebrity's procedure for cruises sailing from or near to the US are to isolate anyone testing positive until they can be flown home (not to their home port but to their actual home). At least for now.

To those who think it is overkill, keep in mind that some of these are symptomatic cases, and perhaps just remember how well isolation worked back in early 2020 (not very).  Delta variant is making vaccinated people ill and is very easily spread to others. Of all cruises I think HAL's demographic is one of the oldest, meaning a higher number of patients who may be more susceptible and have a weaker response to vaccines.

Thank you for the information.  Personally I wouldn't have a problem if the ports required testing or if they did temp checks, as long as we had better information on exactly how they are handling positives, but at the moment nobody even knows what part of the ship the quarantines are taking place, to keep out the looky lou's?  I don't know.

If the lines are in fact disembarking positive cases at wherever the next port happens to be, it would only discourage people from reporting possible covid, and possibly spreading the illness even further. 

6 minutes ago, atexsix said:

If the lines are in fact disembarking positive cases at wherever the next port happens to be, it would only discourage people from reporting possible covid, and possibly spreading the illness even further. 

Do you think so?  I guess I'd look at it differently.  If you are not feeling well and you think you might have COVID, wouldn't you rather have the cruise line pay your way home rather than isolate on board the ship?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Thank you for the information.  Personally I wouldn't have a problem if the ports required testing or if they did temp checks, as long as we had better information on exactly how they are handling positives, but at the moment nobody even knows what part of the ship the quarantines are taking place, to keep out the looky lou's?  I don't know.

On Deck 6 FWD on NA.  I don't know where they will be on other Ships.  This was reported by another Poster who spoke with a Nurse and said the Couple was released.  The Couple was 4 or 5 Rooms up from my Daughter's Room and she knew something was up.  We decided not to worry about it that they would send out a "Letter" to all of us if there was something as they do when there is a Noro outbreak, etc. (Yes, we have faith!)

It turned out they were negative and after a couple of days they returned back to their Room.

With HAL requiring Vaccinated only and now the Pre-Test PCR or Antigen the Ship is probably less at Risk then when we sailed her on July 24th.  The Mask Mandate (reading Copper's Live) doesn't seem so bad either.  We had no Mask Mandates.  

Also, the Crew when they first come Onboard are Quarantined and someone posted they are on Deck 4 FWD in Balcony Rooms on NA.  We had Captain Jeroens take over mid-Week in Icy Straight and the reason for that was even though he was Vaccinated HAL required he still Quarantine for ten days before going "out into the Public" and his ten days was up in Icy Straight.  I believe they are taking precautions the best they can!

Edited by idiebabe
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Do you think so?  I guess I'd look at it differently.  If you are not feeling well and you think you might have COVID, wouldn't you rather have the cruise line pay your way home rather than isolate on board the ship?

Yes.  If I could in fact go home.  Worry Free states you can't go home until you test negative, that could be weeks in some cases.  There's significant risk for people who have pets at home, or children, jobs, and a household to run.  That's why we're trying to figure this out.  Worry free has entire sections addressing hotels and per diem, exactly where/when/why would any of these ominous requirements be needed if the ship is merely sending you home?

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Yes.  If I could in fact go home.  Worry Free states you can't go home until you test negative, that could be weeks in some cases.  There's significant risk for people who have pets at home, or children, jobs, and a household to run.  That's why we're trying to figure this out.  Worry free has entire sections addressing hotels and per diem, exactly where/when/why would any of these ominous requirements be needed if the ship is merely sending you home?

Possibly from other places in the world where you would be required to test negative in order to get back into the US. I don't think they apply to US-based cruising. 

HAL is notoriously slow to update their info. Most of that was released when Alaska cruises were still a dream for 2021, I think.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

On Deck 6 FWD on NA.  I don't know where they will be on other Ships.  This was reported by another Poster who spoke with a Nurse and said the Couple was released.  The Couple was 4 or 5 Rooms up from my Daughter's Room and she knew something was up.  We decided not to worry about it that they would send out a "Letter" to all of us if there was something as they do when there is a Noro outbreak, etc. (Yes, we have faith!)

It turned out they were negative and after a couple of days they returned back to their Room.

With HAL requiring Vaccinated only and now the Pre-Test PCR or Antigen the Ship is probably less at Risk then when we sailed her on July 24th.  The Mask Mandate (reading Copper's Live) doesn't seem so bad either.  We had no Mask Mandates.  

Also, the Crew when they first come Onboard are Quarantined and someone posted they are on Deck 4 FWD in Balcony Rooms on NA.  We had Captain Jeroens take over mid-Week in Icy Straight and the reason for that was even though he was Vaccinated HAL required he still Quarantine for ten days before going "out into the Public" and his ten days was up in Icy Straight.  I believe they are taking precautions the best they can!

Thanks idiebabe!  That helps a lot.  I would probably have more faith if it were just me.  But when caring for an 84 year old man, a lot of questions would arise in certain situations.  But I do agree that the ship is much safer than on prior cruises and that it's probably much safer than anywhere on land. 

• Like 1