Norwegian Encore – The Great Cruise Comeback Live

BirdTravels

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

7 miles. $8 roundtrip shuttle. 25 min each way. 

Today, there was only one HAL ship at the downtown dock. 

Yesterday, there were no ships at the downtown Juneau docks. 

To rub salt in the wound, our ShoreEx drove through town on our return and the driver would not drop us off. He said that it was NCL policy. So,,, after being at creek street, it was 25 minutes back to Ward Cove and 25 minutes (and $8) to return. 

Question: I am a runner. Can I run from the ship to creek street?  Are there roads/paths? (trying to make the best of the situation)

18 minutes ago, RosyWorld said:

Question: I am a runner. Can I run from the ship to creek street?  Are there roads/paths? (trying to make the best of the situation)

Not recommended. The port is an in paved industrial area. Much of the street does not have sidewalks, so you’ll be running with the highway speed cars. 

36 minutes ago, Sitting here said:

Awesome job Bird!! Loving this thread. Juneau questions.  We have a NCL excursion going to Mendenhall Glacier (3 1/2 hrs).  Then we are hoping to visit the state capitol.  It sounds like the excursion will pick us up at the AJ dock? But then we will have to ride the bus all the way back to the AJ dock instead of getting dropped off anywhere closer to downtown?  Then either walk the 1.6 mi one way to the capitol from AJ or take a shuttle (free or pay??) the mile to the visitor center near main cruise terminals and then walk the remaining .6 mi to capitol?  And reverse it back to the ship. Concerned all of the extra back and forth may take too much time and make this not possible.

There is a free shuttle that goes from the AJ dock to the bottom of the Mount Roberta tram if that helps. About a 5 minute ride up the hill. 

• Like 1

Don't like what I am reading about the new dock in Ketchikan. If NCL opted for this dock then I would think they should be transporting cruisers to the town for free. Seems absurd that we now have to pay to get into town when previously the ship docked right there. 

• Like 13

Just now, odie1024 said:

Don't like what I am reading about the new dock in Ketchikan. If NCL opted for this dock then I would think they should be transporting cruisers to the town for free. Seems absurd that we now have to pay to get into town when previously the ship docked right there. 

In Europe most ports are a drive or a train from the city they claim you are docking in (Rome is a great example).  Why should the cruise lines pay here when they never had to in Europe?  Seems like an odd demand you are making.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

In Europe most ports are a drive or a train from the city they claim you are docking in (Rome is a great example).  Why should the cruise lines pay here when they never had to in Europe?  Seems like an odd demand you are making.

I have not cruised in Europe so would not know that, thanks for the info.

10 minutes ago, odie1024 said:

Fifty minutes on a bus too - 25 mins each way. Tall person here. And Ketchikan was probably the shortest walk to the action of any port anywhere. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Because until this year, that was part of what made cruising Alaska ports so charming. You simply stepped off the ship and walked into the town. 

• Like 8

Thanks Bird for the info on the Ketchikan shuttle.  I am going on a private tour in September and a left them a voicemail about bumping up the time slightly.  I scheduled it at 9:45 so I'm probably fine, but I'd rather not have the hassle especially if things are running behind.

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Nope. 

The photo was taken by The Bird as the Encore got about 1/2 down Endicott Arm. 

Hi Bird,

Thank you for this tour of your vacation, I am loving every minute of it!

The tour where you got to see the ship about 1/2 down the Endicott Arm, is this a ship sponsored tour, and if so, what is it called / what port is it out of.

Thank you! I hope you are enjoying your adventure. I am looking forward to mine on October 2nd.

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL shore excursions pick up at the port in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. There are no roads to the Wilderness Landing in Icy Strait, so you need to catch the gondola to the main cruise port. 

93B71EC0-9EB2-462F-BF8C-FC16A2E0A86B.jpeg

6F9E3292-AE41-4468-B295-058960A2260D.jpeg

Is there a walkable path/trail at least at Icy Strait to Wilderness Landing?  I know for a fact my mom will not get on that tram.  She's deathly afraid of anything elevated.

So discouraged by the docking situations and distance to towns.  

So, I believe that the running track is a lie. It claims to be 0.2k or 0.125 miles, which makes for easy math of 8 laps / mile or 5 laps / km. But judging from my Fitbit and normal running pace, I expect it is about 0.16 miles and about a little over 6 laps per mile.

Just now, tooncestdc said:

So, I believe that the running track is a lie. It claims to be 0.2k or 0.125 miles, which makes for easy math of 8 laps / mile or 5 laps / km. But judging from my Fitbit and normal running pace, I expect it is about 0.16 miles and about a little over 6 laps per mile.

A little off topic but I have never used trackers when I am onboard because I wonder if the ship moving would mess with my step count or my miles in my walk (I do MapMyWalk and Pacer both on my Android device).

2 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

Are crew and guests being held to the same vaccine standards?

Are crew allowed to have the Chinese or Russian vaccine?

Currently accepted vaccine letter:

185370507_129195429392369_5612811578136808769_n.jpg

Letter for Pre-August 2021 Accepted Vaccines:

215606179_124135666565012_4831771343092988736_n.thumb.jpg.cafe7c4f6cdb8f262de6dfb36b615732.jpg

Edited by zerooveride
Added pre-August 2021 letter
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

wow this makes the 2nd new cruise port terminal created just for NCL and involved NCL.

Icy Point and now Ketchikan.

Carnival has done this is St Thomas and Amber Cove.

Smart move to the cruise lines to develop more ports.

To answer above, they will provide a bus or you can walk.  I think it is about 3 mins north of town

perhaps they did not have room for a sky liner.  That would be kind of neat to see

The reports I have seen indicate that it is about seven miles from Ward Cove into town.

2 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

Because until this year, that was part of what made cruising Alaska ports so charming. You simply stepped off the ship and walked into the town. 

I agree.  One of the best things about Alaska cruises in the past was how close the ship was to the town.  If we have to line up for a half-hour shuttle ride to and from town, then our upcoming trip on the Encore may be our last NCL Alaska cruise.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mintgreen said:

I assume it's a no, but can you use a shore excursion credits for the Ketchikan shuttle? Also, is there enough to do in port DIY or should an excursion/tour be arranged?

You can not use the shoreex credit for the shuttle. 

Personally, The Bird does not need a shoreex. We’re happy walking around town (but The Bird is a shopper). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

I agree.  One of the best things about Alaska cruises in the past was how close the ship was to the town.  If we have to line up for a half-hour shuttle ride to and from town, then our upcoming trip on the Encore may be our last NCL Alaska cruise.

Especially if I have to PAY to get to the town if the ship docks somewhere isolated.

• Like 4