Cruising with a difference….

ChipLondon

So I am lucky enough to be one of the first to sail on the new Scarlet Lady, and as an experienced cruiser I have to say it is different. 

Sure I am aware of some of the challenges people faced at the Testing Centre, but as this is controlled by an outside organization the VV team don’t have full control over this, so lets focus on what the ship is all about.

Once on board the VV experience kicks in and the Crew are clearly happy to be back welcoming guests, from the ( behind masks ) smile to the many Ahoys, the welcome to guests really makes you feel as though the decision to cruise with a new line was the right decision to make.

Now VV are trying to offer a different approach to the cruise experience, and many guests that have cruised with other lines will have to sail with an open mind and understand things are done differently on Scarlet. However the basics are as to be expected, all ships have Cabins Restaurants Bars and Shops but here on Scarlett they do things the Virgin Way.

Don’t expect announcements every hour detailing activities, just check the App ( yes it does work ) anybody booking VV will receive a lot of information,  it is important to read the messages/emails and understand the ability to book restaurants and shows before you even board the ship. Arrange your own schedule around activities and shows.

Cabins are different and of course what you get depends on your choice of investment, the “regular” inside or balcony cabins are exactly as featured on the website, simple but comfortable with the ability to change from a Day seating set up, to a more normal comfortable bed for sleeping. The ambient lighting features enable personal settings along side a number of pre-set themes. If you choose to go for the Suite options then you really step up into a Rock Star lifestyle, with cleverly designed spaces that offer extra facilities including in Suite Bar set-up and really funky bathrooms.

Restaurants are varied, this ship does not have a traditional main dining room, or typical speciality dining options. ALL restaurants are of speciality standards, I could list them all but hey, don’t be lazy check them out on the website or App. I really liked The Wake, Pink Agave, Extra Virgin, Razzle Dazzle and Gun Bae but if I carry on it will be all of them. Oh dont forget The Dock House which is one of the nicest Outdoor spaces on any ship. VV will tell you they have 20+ eateries and they do, sure not all are with table cloth and formal cutlery but you will get a real selection of great food options.

Entertainment is all around the ship, often at times least expected and yet The Red Room is so versatile with a unique way of changing shape to accommodate the many layouts for different styles of entertainment, one minute its a traditional theatre layout, and the next day the changed layout to present the NOT TO BE MISSED “ Dual Reality” performance.

Quite simply folks have faith in what VV are trying to do, please don’t come onboard and start saying “ ohh its not the same as *******” its not supposed to be.

As much as VV is designed to offer an alternative to attract new to cruising guests, it can comfortably cater for experienced cruisers that have open minds.

But lets be honest no mater what changes they make to layout, presentation or offerings, it is the crew that will make or enhance your onboard experience, and they are ready to welcome you into this cruising difference. Those that have future booking are in for a treat.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ChipLondon said:

So I am lucky enough to be one of the first to sail on the new Scarlet Lady, and as an experienced cruiser I have to say it is different. 

Sure I am aware of some of the challenges people faced at the Testing Centre, but as this is controlled by an outside organization the VV team don’t have full control over this, so lets focus on what the ship is all about.

Once on board the VV experience kicks in and the Crew are clearly happy to be back welcoming guests, from the ( behind masks ) smile to the many Ahoys, the welcome to guests really makes you feel as though the decision to cruise with a new line was the right decision to make.

Now VV are trying to offer a different approach to the cruise experience, and many guests that have cruised with other lines will have to sail with an open mind and understand things are done differently on Scarlet. However the basics are as to be expected, all ships have Cabins Restaurants Bars and Shops but here on Scarlett they do things the Virgin Way.

Don’t expect announcements every hour detailing activities, just check the App ( yes it does work ) anybody booking VV will receive a lot of information,  it is important to read the messages/emails and understand the ability to book restaurants and shows before you even board the ship. Arrange your own schedule around activities and shows.

Cabins are different and of course what you get depends on your choice of investment, the “regular” inside or balcony cabins are exactly as featured on the website, simple but comfortable with the ability to change from a Day seating set up, to a more normal comfortable bed for sleeping. The ambient lighting features enable personal settings along side a number of pre-set themes. If you choose to go for the Suite options then you really step up into a Rock Star lifestyle, with cleverly designed spaces that offer extra facilities including in Suite Bar set-up and really funky bathrooms.

Restaurants are varied, this ship does not have a traditional main dining room, or typical speciality dining options. ALL restaurants are of speciality standards, I could list them all but hey, don’t be lazy check them out on the website or App. I really liked The Wake, Pink Agave, Extra Virgin, Razzle Dazzle and Gun Bae but if I carry on it will be all of them. Oh dont forget The Dock House which is one of the nicest Outdoor spaces on any ship. VV will tell you they have 20+ eateries and they do, sure not all are with table cloth and formal cutlery but you will get a real selection of great food options.

Entertainment is all around the ship, often at times least expected and yet The Red Room is so versatile with a unique way of changing shape to accommodate the many layouts for different styles of entertainment, one minute its a traditional theatre layout, and the next day the changed layout to present the NOT TO BE MISSED “ Dual Reality” performance.

Quite simply folks have faith in what VV are trying to do, please don’t come onboard and start saying “ ohh its not the same as *******” its not supposed to be.

As much as VV is designed to offer an alternative to attract new to cruising guests, it can comfortably cater for experienced cruisers that have open minds.

But lets be honest no mater what changes they make to layout, presentation or offerings, it is the crew that will make or enhance your onboard experience, and they are ready to welcome you into this cruising difference. Those that have future booking are in for a treat.

Wow, wonderful! Thanks so much! Sounds great! So they're able to cope at the dining spaces with the flow of passengers etc x

1 hour ago, ChipLondon said:

So I am lucky enough to be one of the first to sail on the new Scarlet Lady, and as an experienced cruiser I have to say it is different...

What's your relationship to Virgin Voyages? Staff? Consultant? Paid influencer? TA? Brother-in-law? Less than 24 hours into the (first public) trip and you're raving about every room, every eatery, every show. No problem with that, so long as the cards are on the table.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, fubarbloke said:

What's your relationship to Virgin Voyages? Staff? Consultant? Paid influencer? TA? Brother-in-law? Less than 24 hours into the (first public) trip and you're raving about every room, every eatery, every show. No problem with that, so long as the cards are on the table.

I did wonder that prior to this thread TBH.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, fubarbloke said:

Cards on the table, no relationship. However I was lucky enough to join the ship last year for the TA sailing,  mainly because I am a very regular cruiser, and basically they want my custom, so I do know the different spaces well. Where does anyone apply for a paid influencer Job ?? I am on this sailing as a full fare paying guest. Yesterday lunch in Razzle Dazzle, Dinner in Pink Agave, and Breakfast this morning in The Wake.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johnnylikely said:

Wow, wonderful! Thanks so much! Sounds great! So they're able to cope at the dining spaces with the flow of passengers etc x

So far it seems that way, but I would recommend booking dining options on the App as early as possible to get the times you want.

11 minutes ago, ChipLondon said:

Cards on the table, no relationship. However I was lucky enough to join the ship last year for the TA sailing,  mainly because I am a very regular cruiser, and basically they want my custom, so I do know the different spaces well. Where does anyone apply for a paid influencer Job ?? I am on this sailing as a full fare paying guest. Yesterday lunch in Razzle Dazzle, Dinner in Pink Agave, and Breakfast this morning in The Wake.   

The generic term is social media influencer. Value in exchange for value. Might be cash payments, might be product or services, might be recognition or perks. Like an invitation to a TA sailing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fubarbloke said:

The generic term is social media influencer. Value in exchange for value. Might be cash payments, might be product or services, might be recognition or perks. Like an invitation to a TA sailing.

Yeah I am a real “influencer” unfortunately not, with a massive 150 followers on my Instagram account. Sorry but much to old to fall into that bracket.

3 hours ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

What activities are offered on the ship? Everyone keeps saying it’s different without telling us what these differences are.

It’s all on the app - I’ve been checking it very regularly leading up to my departure ( this Monday) and it does change!

ive easily booked everything I fancy - and look forward to booking more activities once on board - those that cannot be booked via the app.

as with any holiday - planning g and preparation are the key.

This will be my first ever cruise, so for me even more important to do my homework.

enjoy 😎

36 minutes ago, dippyblond said:

It’s all on the app - I’ve been checking it very regularly leading up to my departure ( this Monday) and it does change!

ive easily booked everything I fancy - and look forward to booking more activities once on board - those that cannot be booked via the app.

as with any holiday - planning g and preparation are the key.

This will be my first ever cruise, so for me even more important to do my homework.

enjoy 😎

I haven’t booked with them yet so I don’t have access to that part of the app. 

2 minutes ago, garymfreedman said:

No you cannot.  It will be very difficult, if not impossible to cruise on VV without a smartphone

Thank you. I just don't have a need for one so will have to skip VV for now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atanac said:

Thank you. I just don't have a need for one so will have to skip VV for now.

You can call into sailor services or see them on the ship for bookings, but that is very cumbersome, and on the phone, very time consuming...

2 hours ago, les37b said:

Let's hope your charge doesn't run out or drop your phone!

There are lots of USB ports - several in each cabin and also at many of the tables in the Galley (food court) which is a nice touch.

The wifi, however, is horribly slow.

On 8/7/2021 at 8:00 AM, ChipLondon said:

anybody booking VV will receive a lot of information,  it is important to read the messages/emails and understand the ability to book restaurants and shows before you even board the ship. Arrange your own schedule around activities and shows.

When does one receive this information?  I've booked and all I've received is a "you are booked" email.  Nothing more.  My cruise is in October.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 11:23 PM, gumshoe958 said:

There are lots of USB ports - several in each cabin and also at many of the tables in the Galley (food court) which is a nice touch.

The wifi, however, is horribly slow.

As explained in the note in each cabin, due to sailing in the U.K. the satellite providing the Wi-fi service isn’t quite in the right place as it will be when Scarlet Lady is sailing out of the USA. We found the service fine for what we needed. 

53 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

As explained in the note in each cabin, due to sailing in the U.K. the satellite providing the Wi-fi service isn’t quite in the right place as it will be when Scarlet Lady is sailing out of the USA. We found the service fine for what we needed. 

Yes, it improved significantly during my second cruise on the 20th. But for the maiden voyage on the 6th it was almost unusable at times.