Seward Boat Tour Recommendations

ekallina

I will be departing Seward on a cruise on July 4, 2022. I am looking at different boat tours available for either 7/3 or 7/4.

Right now I am torn between Kenai Fjords National Park Tour (6 hrs) or Northwestern Fjord Your (7 hrs). Looking for suggestions/experiences/recommendations for these and similar tours.

Thank you in advance

I've only done the 6 hour tour.  It leaves at 11:30 a.m. giving me time to take the train from Anchorage to Seward the same morning.  After returning from the boat tour, I would board the cruise ship and set sail to Vancouver.  If you take the 8.5 hour trip, I believe it leaves at 9:00 a.m., meaning you would would likely need to be in Seward the night before.

Times vary a little between Kenai Fjords Tours and Major Marine so do some double-checking on the times.  I've used both companies and had great success.

Edited by quack2

Major Marine typically has a great sale around Thanksgiving (Black Friday) - maybe 40% off. We did the 6-hour tour with them in 2018 and it was amazing. I recommend taking something for motion sickness before you board - even if you don't typically get motion sick......

15 hours ago, quack2 said:

Kenai Fjords Tours

Agree with donaldsc.  The longer the better.  My Nephew who lives in Alaska and has been in that area recommended Kenai Fjords Tours.  I was pleased.  The other company would also provide a good tour as well.  Over the years, many satisfied customers have posted on CC who used their services.  

So I am going to go against what everyone says and not say the longer the better. So maybe it was the fact that we were tired from taking the red eye in the night before; however we were definitely "done" at the end of our 6 hour Major Marine tour. Now we absolutely loved it - but were glad we didn't have a longer tour. I would not book a shorter tour as the shorter tours don't leave Resurrection Bay; however, the six hour tour was enough for us. 

Our two days went like this: 

Saturday: 

* Spend day with toddler at Zoo before leaving him with grandparents

* Put toddler to bed (8:00 pm) 

* Leave for airport ( 2.5 hour drive ) 8:30 pm 

Sunday: 

* Flight leaves (12:30 am) 

* Land in Anchorage at about (5:30 am) 

*Park connection bus to Seward (7:30 am) 

* Stash bags at Major Marine Check in desk and then go get breakfast (10:00 am) 

* Major Marine Tour (11:30-5:30)

* Drop bags in hotel and then head to dinner at Seward Brewing Company (HIGHLY Recommend)- did not even let my husband shower because I knew if I even sat on the bed I would not wake up

* 8:00 pm- crash hard