Paris-Normandy & Lyon-Provence: If you have cruised both itineraries - ?s

mlbcruiser

9 minutes ago, bfamily9 said:

I have had to postpone three separate cruises until 2022. I am now doing the Avalon Seine, Saone, Rhone with my son in June. Then I have a solo Scenic Waterways Danube River plus Oberammergau Passion Play in July. Finally a solo European Waterways Caledonian Canal in August. I haven't done any of these before; only Main/Rhine and Irrawaddy River cruises. Thus my interest in this subject too. I'll have several weeks between the last two cruises, so I have rented a gite in France where hopefully my daughter will be able to visit. If all goes well I'll also be able to reschedule my flights on Aer Lingus to accommodate all these changes without additional charge.

Thinking about the flow of rivers, you might be interested in this topic from Ralph Grizzle on high and low water levels in respect to river cruising https://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/water-levels/

On 8/15/2021 at 12:26 AM, Canal archive said:

image.thumb.jpeg.8b50543bea388bdb7f02fe7ff8aa8681.jpeg

Lavender field from Vincent Van Gogh’s sanitarium window near St Remy Provance

Nice photo. I'll have to be sure to take some photos like this in June.

I've done Provence 4x and the Seine once.

Normandy was a profoundly moving experience and I enjoyed all of the ports.  I am not a Paris fan, however, and could have done without the two days there.  I loved Normandy but felt that one day at the Beaches was not nearly enough, as the actual time there was very limited.  I will go back and spend several days there, as the people were lovely and the WWII history is something I have always been interested in.

Provence is very different from the Seine. The towns, with the exception of Lyon (which I love and have spent multiple days there several times) are quaint and charming and the wines are wonderful!  I will take this itinerary again simply for the ports and wineries in this region, as well as the charm of the places we visited.

• Like 2

caviargal, interesting as I was figuring that maybe the towns were more quaint along the Seine to the north of France. (We don’t care much about staying Iin Paris but probably would rather spend the night in a different town if we had our druthers. Especially since will go in a day or two before our cruise departs.) The quaintness and charm of the towns is very, very important to me. Although I tend to like architecture from the mid to late middle ages and half timbering, etc., better than Roman ruins or Baroque architecture, you described seeing “quaint” towns along the Rhone and I’d probably like those s lot. My husband is more interested the WWII things in Normandy. Yet he’s not the type to delve that deeply into, or linger at, any type of museum or historical place we visit. I tend to linger longer than him, lol. ). Other than just for nice views or drives to get to them, we aren’t really into wine or wineries, but I realize many people are. You aren’t the first person to mention there isn’t enough time in Normandy for visiting places of World War II significance. Thanks a bunch for your comparison.

3 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

You aren’t the first person to mention there isn’t enough time in Normandy for visiting places of World War II significance. Thanks a bunch for your comparison.

This would suggest that you limit your search for Seine cruises to the few lines that are able to overnight in Honfleur, as that reduces the travel time to get to the beaches.  CroisiEurope and Scenic are the two I know of that do that and market to North Americans.

21 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This would suggest that you limit your search for Seine cruises to the few lines that are able to overnight in Honfleur, as that reduces the travel time to get to the beaches.  CroisiEurope and Scenic are the two I know of that do that and market to North Americans.

Grand Circle overnights three nights, so two full days docked, in Honfleur. One long day excursion to the beaches, the other an excursion to Etretat. Some people arrange DIY to Bayeux or back to the beaches. 

Vantage also overnights for at least one full day in Honfleur. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2021 at 5:03 PM, tulok said:

I enjoyed the Providence cruise much more. The towns were gorgeous, and it was so much to see each day. I enjoyed the Normandy cruise but next time I would go to that area myself and rent a car. I am sure you will enjoy both so I would think it is what you are looking for in the trip.

The towns are lovely!  Tournon, Avignon and beautiful Lyon, as well as the visit to Beaune, were all enjoyable and charming.

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2021 at 6:27 AM, Canal archive said:

We actually stayed on board to see this lock, what a whopper the deepest on the canal I’m involved with The Kennet & Avon is nearly 20feet a mere baby. Here are two pictures of Giverney.

image.thumb.jpeg.72def06cb66afe0557084c398c91cbff.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0e63464ce19c9a6d5823820a96f308a3.jpeg

Wow!  Lovely photos.  That first photo looks like the painting Monet would have done had he not had cataracts!