Transatlantic Barbados to Lisbon

untailored bostonian

We booked the 2023 repositioning cruise from Barbados to Lisbon on the Wind Star.  We would like to hear about how much ocean you feel in mid-ocean. 

We booked it because it is 15 days all sea days.  Now the DH loves the idea of big seas. We both want to feel the ocean. He want the perfect storm. 😱

Does anyone have an ocean tale to tell.

We took a repositioning cruise on the Wind Star many years ago from Colon, Panama to Bermuda. It was supposed to be 10 sea days and ended up being 11 1/2 days due to 10-14 foot seas the entire cruise. Fortunately, we both had patches and were not sea sick.  It was actually fun. There were only 55 passengers and we had many laughs about chairs sliding across the lounge and the Veranda. We all walked like we were drunk.  They had a hard time keeping water in the pool. When we still had another day until Bermuda, they gave us open bar and free WiFi, and they made all the calls to change our travel arrangements. Great adventure and we slept so soundly. They have never repeated this itinerary!!!

We have done 2 trans Atlantic's and one trans Pacific with WS. Atlantic you never know we have had flat as ice, and nice seas, wavy, never a storm. There is motion most of the time especially when are midway. We are fortunate we do not get sea sick, most likely due to  a life spent sailing. We love the trans ocean crossings. The Pacific was beyond calm because we were close to the equator " the doldrums ". All I can say is all three heavenly. Enjoy. Happy Sailing

We have sailed on the Wind Surf TA both ways across the pond.  Our first was in 2019 and we talked with fellow passengers who sailed on the same cruise the year prior and were hit by a rouge wave in the middle of the night.  The bolted down Grand Piano flipped over and a bit other damage on board.  Luckily no one was hurt, since most everyone was in their cabins asleep.  

We've had a few rough sea days, but my wife and I are both sailors (inland lakes mostly) and we love the rocking you to sleep each night.

Cheers!

We've done 4 Eastbound Transatlantics on the Windsurf, twice from Barbados and twice from St Maarten each time landing in Lisbon. On our crossings, the weather was mostly mild with very little wave action, maybe a couple of days of 5-7' seas and slight rolling. That's probably almost two months of sailing days in the spring, and we've had 2 days of rain overall. Of course, YMMV.

Our craziest time was in the North Sea on one of the motor yachts. The captain RAN from Norway to a leeward position in the British Isles area (actually leaving port several hours early), where we anchored down amongst tankers and rode out 24 hours of 20-25' seas. Every single item on the entire ship was tied down.

Edited by Pudgesmom

On 8/21/2021 at 5:25 PM, SailingSteve77 said:

We have sailed on the Wind Surf TA both ways across the pond.  Our first was in 2019 and we talked with fellow passengers who sailed on the same cruise the year prior and were hit by a rouge wave in the middle of the night.  The bolted down Grand Piano flipped over and a bit other damage on board.  Luckily no one was hurt, since most everyone was in their cabins asleep.  

We've had a few rough sea days, but my wife and I are both sailors (inland lakes mostly) and we love the rocking you to sleep each night.

Cheers!

I assume many that cruisers on windstar have sailed themselves.

I am looking forward to the feel of the oceans.  Not sure I'd actually enjoy piano flipping seas, but a day of bow spray would be an experience.  We are not sailers nor boaters but the open ocean is our love.

July 2022 we are doing a 21 day double transatlantic on the QM2 that includes a 7 day Norway segment in between. That is 15 or 16 sea days out of 21.  But on the QE2 we will not get the feel of the sea I'm sure will define the Wind Star's 15 sea days.

Edited by untailored bostonian
Sp chk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

We've done 4 Eastbound Transatlantics on the Windsurf, twice from Barbados and twice from St Maarten each time landing in Lisbon. On our crossings, the weather was mostly mild with very little wave action, maybe a couple of days of 5-7' seas and slight rolling. That's probably almost two months of sailing days in the spring, and we've had 2 days of rain overall. Of course, YMMV.

Our craziest time was in the North Sea on one of the motor yachts. The captain RAN from Norway to a leeward position in the British Isles area (actually leaving port several hours early), where we anchored down amongst tankers and rode out 24 hours of 20-25' seas. Every single item on the entire ship was tied down.

24 hours of that would be fine, but 25 feet mid ocean might be a bit more mother nature than is good for the soul.  Beside, in the open ocean it would take several days to build then receed.

On 8/16/2021 at 12:50 PM, Strenz said:

We have done 2 trans Atlantic's and one trans Pacific with WS. Atlantic you never know we have had flat as ice, and nice seas, wavy, never a storm. There is motion most of the time especially when are midway. We are fortunate we do not get sea sick, most likely due to  a life spent sailing. We love the trans ocean crossings. The Pacific was beyond calm because we were close to the equator " the doldrums ". All I can say is all three heavenly. Enjoy. Happy Sailing

Motion is what we hope to get.  Lake Atlantic would be a disappointment!

On 8/15/2021 at 4:44 PM, ridethetide said:

We took a repositioning cruise on the Wind Star many years ago from Colon, Panama to Bermuda. It was supposed to be 10 sea days and ended up being 11 1/2 days due to 10-14 foot seas the entire cruise. Fortunately, we both had patches and were not sea sick.  It was actually fun. There were only 55 passengers and we had many laughs about chairs sliding across the lounge and the Veranda. 

A day or 2 would be fine but I am looking forward to mostly gentler seas.

We were told by a WS Captain when I asked which was the calmest direction and he said in the late fall, Europe to the Caribbean. We did that direction on our first trans Atlantic, he was correct it was warm and nicely calm with a bit of wave action to make sleeping wonderful. Have a great Sail.

• Thanks 1