Recent return from Nieuw Amsterdam July 31, 2021 Sailing to Alaska

marco

We've just retuned as we spent a few days with friends out on Banbridge Island and a few more post cruise in Seattle.  We had a great time!  While in Alaska (on our sailing, anyway) the temps were always in the 60's.  We had only one day of a little drizzle.  The ship does not dock in "Downtown" Seattle.  The cab from our hotel in Seattle was $14 to the ship.  $20 from the ship back to Seattle proper.  Boarding was quick and effortless. One must show proof of vaccination and even though you don't go to a foreign country, you do HAVE TO have a passport as the ship sails into international waters. (at least that's the reason we were told)  The ship is beautiful and the fit and finish are what one expect from HAL.  The cruise director did an EXCELLENT job relative to some of the lectures with interviews and slides in the main theater.  If you are an oceanliner buff, you will particularly enjoy the  talk on "The 150 year history of Holland America LIne".  Although there was no self serve at the buffet, staff was most accommodating to your requests and quite expeditious.  Disappointed that there weren't and live bands for dancing pre or post dinner, other than occasionally in the BB King lounge.  There was a wonderful piano player in one lounge pre dinner, but nice easy listening music only. IN Alaska masks were required upon entering any place indoors.  We always prefer the self walkoff and there is usually a  long queue with folks shoulder to shoulder waiting for the "you can get off now", announcement.  Self walk off was anytime you were ready between 7 and 9:30.  it took us about 2 minutes to disembark with no line, no waiting.  All in all...it was a great cruise.  Staff was most accommodating, Alaskans were SOOOO glad to see us.  I hope everyone who will be taking this similar cruise over the next few weeks enjoys it as much as we did! And if  it's not too late to make arrangements to stay in Seattle pre or post cruise, please do...it's a great city to explore!  Any questions.....I'd be happy to answer if I can.

Edited by marco
typos
  • Like 2

I am going to take " back to back" alaska cruising on Sept 4th with HAL and Sept 12th with Princess. Base on the current cruise covid test policy, it seems that I have to do the covid test in Ketchikan on Sept 9th, 2021 in order to get on board in Princess ship on Setp 12th in Seattle.   Marco you are a lucky guy!  

On an other note....I don't know if they had early and late dining seatings for dinner.  We chose "any time" anyway, but in the daily program  for the main dining room for the dinner hour, it just said "5:30 to 9" it did not indicate something like  "fist sitting  6PM Late sitting 8PM. At any rate, we never had to wait and some nights we dined at table for 6, some nights just the two of us.  Some nights they asked if we wanted a large table or a table for two, some nights they didn't.  When the didn't ask, we were always seated at a table for two.  I suppose upon entry, we could have said, 'we'd like a larger table with other guests, if we so chose.  We dined one night in Pinnacle .......nice experience!!!

On 8/17/2021 at 8:06 AM, marco said:

Any questions.....I'd be happy to answer if I can.

Will be on NA in 28 days...6th cruise; 7th visit; first time on Nieuw Amsterdam and my questions are about the ship -- while sailing Stephens Passage and Glacier Bay:  are there chairs on the Promenade deck or just benches?  are blankets available there?  is there access to the bow deck?  does either location provide hot beverages while cruising these areas?

TIA and thanks also for sharing your July 24th cruise details!

• Host Kat changed the title to Recent return from Nieuw Amsterdam July 31, 2021 Sailing to Alaska