Restaurant Reservations

PGI GUY

Recent Viking passengers what has been your experience with eating in the Restaurant. Do you need to now make reservations for a specific time for dinner or can you walk in at any time like before the covid situation. I have heard that at first you need to make reservations for a specific time and then later in the cruise that was relaxed to walk in at any time. We have done several Viking cruises and we know about reservations with the other two restaurants. I am only interested in your experience with the main restaurant.

4 minutes ago, MarkTapley said:

Walk-in.  No reservations needed for The Restaurant on Sky this week.

Do you know the approximate number of passengers on your cruise?  I'm scheduled on the Sea for a TA that is sold out, so I'm wondering if walk-in availability will be more difficult.

12 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Do you know the approximate number of passengers on your cruise?  I'm scheduled on the Sea for a TA that is sold out, so I'm wondering if walk-in availability will be more difficult.

JeriGail on our Sky sailing we were told 870 passengers.  We didn't need the Restaurant reservations we made.  But the 7-7:15 dinner time was too crowded for us even if we didn't have to wait.  So we would go to the usually empty WC or arrive at the Restaurant at 5:30.  There would be a line to get in since it just opened but we would get a window table that was spaced away from other twos.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

JeriGail on our Sky sailing we were told 870 passengers.  We didn't need the Restaurant reservations we made.  But the 7-7:15 dinner time was too crowded for us even if we didn't have to wait.  So we would go to the usually empty WC or arrive at the Restaurant at 5:30.  There would be a line to get in since it just opened but we would get a window table that was spaced away from other twos.

Thanks, Lorna!  870 sounds close enough to what we'll have on the Sea, so I can apply your strategy in November.  We usually eat earlier anyway, so 5:30 would work for us.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JeriGail said:

Thanks, Lorna!  870 sounds close enough to what we'll have on the Sea, so I can apply your strategy in November.  We usually eat earlier anyway, so 5:30 would work for us.

Hi Jeri -

Other than Bermuda, our cruises were all in the 900's.  We never had an issue going to walk up to the Restaurant, except as Lorna says.   Pretty much anytime up to 6:45 to 7:00 was pretty easy.  There has usually been a huge contingent that congregates in the 1st floor bar area to listen to music and have cocktails.  They seemed to generally head out to dinner around 7:00.  Pre-COVID people would gather in the long entry way and hallway at the Restaurant queued up (maybe 50-70 people?) but likely not now.

In any case, as long as you go not at rush hour you'll have no problems.  We'll probably see you there!

14 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Hi Jeri -

Other than Bermuda, our cruises were all in the 900's.  We never had an issue going to walk up to the Restaurant, except as Lorna says.   Pretty much anytime up to 6:45 to 7:00 was pretty easy.  There has usually been a huge contingent that congregates in the 1st floor bar area to listen to music and have cocktails.  They seemed to generally head out to dinner around 7:00.  Pre-COVID people would gather in the long entry way and hallway at the Restaurant queued up (maybe 50-70 people?) but likely not now.

In any case, as long as you go not at rush hour you'll have no problems.  We'll probably see you there!

Do you know if they've removed any tables from The Restaurant to allow for more spacing?  I'm wondering about the tables for two that look like they're closer than 6 feet apart triggering the contact tracing devices if your dining neighbor tested positive.

1 hour ago, JeriGail said:

Do you know if they've removed any tables from The Restaurant to allow for more spacing?  I'm wondering about the tables for two that look like they're closer than 6 feet apart triggering the contact tracing devices if your dining neighbor tested positive.

Jeri - on our Bermuda cruise, they did not remove any tables, but they did not seat people 2x2x2.  I have heard on these boards from Iceland people who were very uncomfortable because with the ship full they sat them 2x2x2 jammed in and didn't like it.

Quite frankly, on pre-COVID cruises, when we wanted to have a more quiet meal after a long day of excursions, we asked the person seating us if we could have a table for 2 separate from anyone and if it was not rush hour they were happy to do so.  Just speak up!

I know the first time we ever went to the Restaurant we were the middle 2 of the 2x2x2 and we were a bit behind the other groups and we were the subject of conversation as we had our meals, everyone on either side commenting on what we ordered and how we ate.  Not that pleasant.  But the food was great!  Kind of soured me on the 2x2x2 sections.

• Like 1

On our Bermuda cruise, we ate at 8pm. Always got a nice window table for two on either side of the restaurant . 

On  our Western Med cruise in October, we will show up at 8 pm for a table for four.  I do not think we will have a problem. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Quite frankly, on pre-COVID cruises, when we wanted to have a more quiet meal after a long day of excursions, we asked the person seating us if we could have a table for 2 separate from anyone and if it was not rush hour they were happy to do so.  Just speak up!

Thanks for the ideas to get a more private table.  I just wouldn't have thought to ask for a table that was more separate.  🙂

I also like the idea of coming early or late and asking for a window table.

• Like 1