Galveston passengers denied boarding, Covid test not back in time

rj59

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

For those prices it’s a better deal to buy the Abbott BinaxNOW tests. You get 6 for 150.00 and I was told they could be used at different times. 

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjo2JBhCRARIsAFG667UGyZ7FjN8W95_ze5PqQZ2lRJ9LZqnzcND8az2CBlEoDqxjoKfrd4QaAmlREALw_wcB

I see Royal now says this is accepted.  Their previous information was "accredited laboratory" and I'd hate to risk it.  But if they officially accept this one, then yeah, not a bad way to do it.

By the way, I tried to order a test and it won't let me because the cruise doesn't meet the requirements.  Unless you click "returning to the US" on the questionnaire.  I guess that's ok?

Edited by BNBR

11 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

For those prices it’s a better deal to buy the Abbott BinaxNOW tests. You get 6 for 150.00 and I was told they could be used at different times. 

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjo2JBhCRARIsAFG667UGyZ7FjN8W95_ze5PqQZ2lRJ9LZqnzcND8az2CBlEoDqxjoKfrd4QaAmlREALw_wcB

correct. They are not tied to a name. I have 5 for sale (used the remaining for my cruise), willing to sell at $25 each + at-cost shipping if you don’t want 6. I recommend to get a spare one for just in case, so get 3 tests for a party of 2.

49 minutes ago, exm said:

correct. They are not tied to a name. I have 5 for sale (used the remaining for my cruise), willing to sell at $25 each + at-cost shipping if you don’t want 6. I recommend to get a spare one for just in case, so get 3 tests for a party of 2.

You do need to assign names to the order for the video monitoring. They have to approve the people before they ship. I don’t know if they allow you to transfer.

If you don’t need for a cruise then, without video monitoring, the tests are easy to self administer.

1 hour ago, tserface said:

You do need to assign names to the order for the video monitoring. They have to approve the people before they ship. I don’t know if they allow you to transfer.

If you don’t need for a cruise then, without video monitoring, the tests are easy to self administer.

I have done these, and am currently on-board the AOS after using these tests so I know what I am talking about. They are not tied to a name, the proctor simply scans the barcode of the test kit: I had my party of 6 taking 7 tests from my shipment of 12 tests. Thank goodness I ordered extras: one of my test kids was faulty.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, exm said:

I have done these, and am currently on-board the AOS after using these tests so I know what I am talking about. They are not tied to a name, the proctor simply scans the barcode of the test kit: I had my party of 6 taking 7 tests from my shipment of 12 tests. Thank goodness I ordered extras: one of my test kids was faulty.

Thanks for your experience.  I confess I was only using the info they gave me from eMed.  I like your experience better.

6 hours ago, BNBR said:

I see Royal now says this is accepted.  Their previous information was "accredited laboratory" and I'd hate to risk it.  But if they officially accept this one, then yeah, not a bad way to do it.

By the way, I tried to order a test and it won't let me because the cruise doesn't meet the requirements.  Unless you click "returning to the US" on the questionnaire.  I guess that's ok?

I went with the one that said possible exposure or something like that. I figured since hubby is a pilot and around people from all over that it would be ok. 🤷🏼‍♀️

5 hours ago, exm said:

Thanks, but I already ordered some. They are good for a year in case you have any more cruises planned.

1 hour ago, Jasukkie said:

I've been keeping my eye on the appointment registration process for testing near me and it's like trying to buy high demand tickets now. Very glad I have the Abbott box in hand now. 

Mine will be delivered tomorrow. 🥂

On 8/20/2021 at 10:57 AM, smokeybandit said:

One thing to be careful of when buying the home tests in their expiration date, which you likely won't know until they arrive.

On Abbott’s website it says they are good for a year. I doubt they have been sitting on a shelf somewhere.

7 hours ago, BNBR said:

Make sure you order the home test and not the self test. It will say on the box. Here is the link.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

8 hours ago, exm said:

you have test kids? Is that like the first pancake to check is the mix is right and the pan hot enough? 🙂

• Haha 1

Giving them the benefit of doubt, I could very easily see people who don't check their e-mail daily, or get so many "spam" and other messages that e-mails from RCI get buried and they don't check it until a couple of days before leaving.  My wife, for example, checks her e-mail regularly but told me yesterday she still had over 25,000 unread e-mails.  I am probably like most on this board that are OCD about planning, etc., but I understand most of the rest of the world is not like me.  With that being said, although fully vaccinnated, yesterday morning I had a free PCR from a state mobile testing site and had the results in 24 hours (negative, and simply have a normal cold).  With our cruise not until October 3, I may do the PCR test on Thursday, but then schedule a rapid test on Friday, just in case, as we will be traveling on Saturday...  It would be nice if they moved it to 4-5 days prior.  Not sure where the "magic" 3 day period came into being....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I may do the PCR test on Thursday, but then schedule a rapid test on Friday, just in case, as we will be traveling on Saturday...  It would be nice if they moved it to 4-5 days prior.  Not sure where the "magic" 3 day period came into being....

Agree with your thinking!  The 3-day period can be quite stressful and puts a ding in pre-cruise plans and fun as cruisers may want to arrive in their cruise city several days in advance to relax, tour, shop, etc.

26 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I ordered the right one.  It's approved and hopefully shipping soon.  Cruise is next Saturday.  We'll see.

Wouldn't it be nice if eMed offered CC members a discount code? They're sales are bound to increase a great deal from these discussion boards.

Edited by footzz
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, footzz said:

Wouldn't it be nice if eMed offered CC members a discount code? They're sales are bound to increase a great deal from these discussion boards.

They are already picky about who they give the tests out to.  You have to qualify to even get one.  Maybe in the future, but right now I think they seem to have all the business they want and a limited supply.