Carnival insurance

abby1257

I realize this is a difficult question to answer, so probably only someone who has experienced this would be ale to answer...My question is this:  Will Carnival Insurance cover someone if they have to be air lifted off the ship because their defibrilator/pacemaker went off???? You almost have to be a genius to figure out what their insurance will actually cover....TIA

Edited by abby1257

9 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

I realize this is a difficult question to answer, so probably only someone who has experienced this would be ale to answer...My question is this:  Will Carnival Insurance cover someone if they have to be air lifted off the ship because their defibrilator/pacemaker went off???? You almost have to be a genius to figure out what their insurance will actually cover....TIA

There is an entire section on insurance on CC.  Here is the link.  I would recommend that you buy from a third party such as what Steve recommends for your needs.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2500-qa-cruise-insurance-with-the-tripinsurancestorecom-june-2021/

29 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

Quick answer : The Coast Guard performs at sea air evacuation at no cost to you. Insurance takes over when you are deposited on land. 

Such procedures are reserved for the direst emergencies, and the ship must be within range with favorable conditions. It is still risky so the preferred course of action is to disembark the passenger at the nearest port if that is feasible.

We have been cruising for many years and have always taken the cruise line insurance, whether it was Carnival, Celebrity, RCCL, etc. We’ve used it twice in 20 years; once Carnival’s vacation protection, and one other time sailing with Celebrity. Each time, we just wanted our money back, that was due. We received our refunds each time with no problem.

Our next cruise is booked for early 2022 and hopefully we’ll be on the Legend...fingers crossed. We prepaid the vacation protection insurance, but going forward we are looking into a more comprehensive travel insurance that provides other benefits. These policies provide travel insurance and better benefits for such things as evacuation, hospitalization, etc. As we age, we realize that health issues and emergencies pop up more frequently. We hope we would never need to use it, but never say never. We just think it’s time to research our options for future travel.

18 minutes ago, fair-winds39 said:

We have been cruising for many years and have always taken the cruise line insurance, whether it was Carnival, Celebrity, RCCL, etc. We’ve used it twice in 20 years; once Carnival’s vacation protection, and one other time sailing with Celebrity. Each time, we just wanted our money back, that was due. We received our refunds each time with no problem.

Our next cruise is booked for early 2022 and hopefully we’ll be on the Legend...fingers crossed. We prepaid the vacation protection insurance, but going forward we are looking into a more comprehensive travel insurance that provides other benefits. These policies provide travel insurance and better benefits for such things as evacuation, hospitalization, etc. As we age, we realize that health issues and emergencies pop up more frequently. We hope we would never need to use it, but never say never. We just think it’s time to research our options for future travel.

Carnival provides a basic comprehensive policy that includes cancellation and other travel related benefits along with medical and evacuation coverage. The main advantage is that the price does not increase with the age of the policy holder. Third party polices consider the amount insured as well as age so those policies get more expensive.

It is easy to compare costs and benefits at online sites like insuremytrip or squaremouth. Be aware that the individual states regulate the kind of policy available to its residents so any benefits you have seen discussed here may not be available in your state. The search feature will ask for your state in order to present only those you can buy. Read carefully and ask questions so you know what you are getting.

1 hour ago, fair-winds39 said:

The link I provided in post #2 is from Steve @ tripinsurancestore.com.  He is an expert and is CC's go to guy.   We will be looking at an annual policy for 249.00 Geo Tracker by BC/BS.

56 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The link I provided in post #2 is from Steve @ tripinsurancestore.com.  He is an expert and is CC's go to guy.   We will be looking at an annual policy for 249.00 Geo Tracker by BC/BS.

Is that just an annual evac policy or medical, too?  Are pre-existing conditions covered?  I had my go to coverage before Covid-19, but there are so many new coverages and exclusions now.  We are in our sixties, so it just gets pricier each year.  I guess I need to visit the travel insurance section, but there just isn't the volume of posters there.