question regarding sea bands and ginger pills

limpygirl

This will be our first cruise and I am trying to get things together. I decided to try the sea bands and the ginger pills but if need be will go to the bonine. I prefer to use the sea bands and ginger as I understand there are no side effects from those. OK, here is my question, do I need a sea band for each wrist or do I only need one? How many ginger pills do I take? Any and all answers will be much appreciated....TIA

CJ

I used the sea bands ( one for each wrist) for the first 4 days of my cruise and they worked perfectly. Took them off and only put them on when the going got rough! Again they worked well, no illness at all.

Check the size you need as I have small wrists and use a child's pair.

Jo

You may also purchase sea bands at Walmart. They come in a small plastic case, are reusable, washable, and can be easily carried in your make up bag! I keep a pair in my make up bag, and another pair in DH's camera bag. I know the camera bag will be with him/us anytime off ship(on tenders) or other excursions, if needed. They really work. Also, if you do get a little queasy, eat crackers, apples, and drink club soda. (This I learned from a room steward who was a nurse in her country, but was working on the ship for a way to travel.) Also, go to the center of the ship, front to back and lower floor to upper decks. There is much less movement in the middle. Most of the newer ships have such great stabilizers that you probably won't need anything! ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't used the sea bands and haven't really had any sea sickness issues in the newer larger ships; however, bad weather can't be prevented, so it's better to come prepared. I have used ginger pills with good success when on a smaller, rockier ship, the Windjammer "Legacy". No seasickness at all. Sometimes I take them as a preventative if going on a small boat at a port if the sea looks choppy. Start taking them a few hours ahead of time; it won't hurt to take them each day.

One warning; I have heard that you should not combine ginger and other sea sickness remedies such as Dramamine. Don't know if this is true, but it is something to be aware of.

You might also sip on gingerale if you feel queazy and someone told me, I haven't checked this out, that in a pinch you could place a quarter on the inside of your wrist near the hand and hold in place with a wide rubber band or ponytail band. Same pressure point as seabands!

This will be our first cruise and I am trying to get things together. I decided to try the sea bands and the ginger pills but if need be will go to the bonine. I prefer to use the sea bands and ginger as I understand there are no side effects from those. OK, here is my question, do I need a sea band for each wrist or do I only need one? How many ginger pills do I take? Any and all answers will be much appreciated....TIA

CJ

Hello limpygirl, it seems that you have gotten answer to part of your question and I will try to provide a little more information.

You will be on a very large ship, so it is true to some degree that it can tolerate some of the 'bigger waves' that will affect a smaller ship......but regardless of the size and the stabilizers......a very rough sea is no contest for any ship and it will do with it what it wants to.

You also will be in normally smooth waters so that is also in your favor.

Only about 28 percent of people are prone to motion sickness in somewhat avarage seas......so you might be in the group that does not get sick at all.

I am not so lucky, so I have searched and searched for the magic preventive medicine/cure for me to help me with my motion sickness and really did not find any that works well without any side affects.....but found some that are very helpful for me.......ginger root is one of them. I got mine from DoctorsTrust.com (very low price 100 Capsules (500 mg each) for $2.39 larger sizes are even less. I take about 2 to 4 grams (4 to 8 capsules) in 24 hours .....that is what is recommended.

Sea bands are sold as a pair and have to be worn on both hands and ....they do not work for me.

Bonine ( works for me) is generic Meclizine or Meclozine and is available under many different names including prescription Antivert ( which was given to me to treat Vertigo).......the price can vary depending on brand name from 10 cents to 80 cents per pill for 25 mg pills.....watch the dosage ( to much will make you very sleepy, tired and drowsy) and watch alcohol intake....it will accelarate the reaction to the medicine.

There are other things ( and I tried a few) that work for some and not for others.....if everything else fails.....there are suppositories and injections.

Enjoy your cruise......most people are OK.

Wes

sells ginger capsules in the area where they have vitamins and herbal preparations. The price is very reasonable. My travel friend is quite vulnerable to seasickness and had very good results taking the ginger. You can research the info on ginger online. The dose of the ginger capsules is 1000 mg, according to the info I obtained online. The capsules my friend used were 550 mg, so she used 2 capsules per dose.

Sea bands are also available at AAA offuces. They are effective for many people. I have doubts re: the OP info that using a coin and rubber band would work the same as sea bands. Sea bands have a button-like device permanently attached to the stretchy band, and that "button" has to be placed exactly as described to work correctly. The flatness of a coin would not provide the needed amount of pressure. Also, the bands of Sea bands are quite snug, as they hold the "button" in the specified spot on the inner aspect of the wrists. Be sure to read the instruction for proper placement.

The disadvantage to Dramamine, Bonine, Meclazine (oral meds) and the Scopalomine patches (prescription required) is the drowsiness that is a common side effect, even if the packaging claims "non-drowsy". Also, you would need to avoid alcohol intake if you are using any of those.

Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones who is not prone to motion sickness. But it wouldn't hurt to have Sea Bands and ginger available "just in case". Not a lot of money involved.

Happy Sailing! :)

From what I have read on previous threads, this is what I am gonna try on my next cruise. Take bonine at bedtime and ginger in the morn. Won't have to worry about drowsiness OR getting sea sick. Also, have read to start the day before. My DH will probably not take unless he feels sick. I on the other hand take precautions.

I just take ginger in capsules-I buy it at good ole Walmart.

Our cruise last week we had a very rough sea day. Two of my friends actually threw up. One had got that patch thing prescription from the Dr.-it was absolutely worthless for her-we got her some of the generic bonnine that they give out on the ship and that helped her some.

My other friend used the wristband thing-so I guess that was worthless too-she had to take the generaic bonnine also. But I was only slightly queezy that morning when I woke up-once I ate a small amount of food I was fine-but I had the ginger in my system good.

I always start taking the ginger about a week before the cruise and continue it through the cruise and that works for me.

By the way we were on Celebrity Zenith, a small older ship-whenever we are on the larger newer ships I have no problem with sea sickness at all-when we were on Disney Wonder (Sept. 2004) Jeanne was causing a little problem the last night of our cruise but I did not even get queezy at all-as that ship had great stablizers.

We were on Mariner of the Seas in Oct. 2005-right in the hurricane season also and I felt nothing.

From what I have read on previous threads, this is what I am gonna try on my next cruise. Take bonine at bedtime and ginger in the morn. Won't have to worry about drowsiness OR getting sea sick. Also, have read to start the day before. My DH will probably not take unless he feels sick. I on the other hand take precautions.

If he waits until he feels sick and the seas are rough-chances are he will spend 12-24 hours in bed.

Everyone is different. I have friends who swear by both Seabands and Ginger Pills but me? They do NOTHING! Of course I can get seasick tied up at dock. Seems somehow pathetic that I love cruising so much. I take Bonine. I always put it too too late too. I think "this time it will be different". You know I have never eaten in the dining room on the first night because I am ALWAYS WRONG! I sit down to eat and WHAMMO, seasick. My husband is under strict orders to make me take Bonine the night before we cruise from now on. On pain of me getting ill in his good shoes ;)

To take the Bonine or Dramamine before you even board the ship is good advice. I hope I can remember! Are those pills - take one and lasts 24 hours?

I will not take Dramamine, it knocks me out. Bonine lasts 24 hours and while it may make you sleepy taking it before bed is the way to go.

I carry a pill thing in my purse. I also get so queezy I cannot forget. It's pathetic, really.

I appreciate your time. I will definitely try the ginger and the sea bands and I read somewhere that gingerale with bitters is good, too for seasickness. However, will take the bonine with me just in case. I will drag my feet on the bonine because anything that makes most people mildly sleepy will knock me out for days so I try to avoid that. After all, who wants to miss several days of a 7 day cruise sleeping? LOL Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions and help.

CJ

You can probably take the Bonine Limpygirl. I am pathetic. Two drinks? Under the table, or on it. Give me an Ambian? You have 15 minutes to get me near a bed or I am sleeping on the floor, literally. I can take Bonine and function. I remember all of my cruises. I take it at night and it lasts 24 hours. It will help you sleep.

I agree with taking the 24 hour non-drowsy Bonine at night...a piece of cake. I'm an RN and it's been so easy since I discovered this. If the initial dosing makes you a bit sleepy, you're going to bed anyway and most people are not likely to be drinking before noon (OK, some will, but not most :)) so even if it did make you a bit sleepy, not likely to be a problem. Enjoy the cruise!

Archived