Weather During Ketchikan Excursions?

newtocruising56

Before booking an excursion in Ketchikan for our late September cruise I was wondering about how those excursions are impacted by bad (rainy) weather?

I know there is a very good chance it will rain and I believe most of the excursions take place regardless?   We are considering either the "Totem, Bight State Park & Lumberjack Show" or "Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer".  Of course I know both would be more pleasant on a sunny day, but if anyone has done either of these excursions when it was rainy, could you please tell me about it?  Were they (or any other Ketchikan ecursions) still worth doing on a bad weather day?  On our vacations is usually DOES rain more often than not, and we carry on and make the best of it, but if anyone has taken an excursion and felt that bad weather totally spoiled it, I'd like to hear their thoughts.  Thanks so much!

Ketchikan is noted for being one of the most consistently rainy places there is.  We've just taken cheap rain gear, worn it, and tours, life there, etc seems to just continue as normal, everyone just walking around dripping a little water.  Here's an interesting link that gives the complete Ketchikan weather picture.  

https://weatherspark.com/y/295/Average-Weather-in-Ketchikan-Alaska-United-States-Year-Round

2 hours ago, newtocruising56 said:

On our vacations is usually DOES rain more often than not, and we carry on and make the best of it

You pretty much just gave the answer to your own question.      For me being out on an excursion in Alaska couldn't be ruined by some rain, actually it would probably be enhanced.  Alaska and rain go hand in hand like bacon and eggs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newtocruising56 said:

Before booking an excursion in Ketchikan for our late September cruise I was wondering about how those excursions are impacted by bad (rainy) weather?

I know there is a very good chance it will rain and I believe most of the excursions take place regardless?   We are considering either the "Totem, Bight State Park & Lumberjack Show" or "Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer".  Of course I know both would be more pleasant on a sunny day, but if anyone has done either of these excursions when it was rainy, could you please tell me about it?  Were they (or any other Ketchikan excursions) still worth doing on a bad weather day?  On our vacations is usually DOES rain more often than not, and we carry on and make the best of it, but if anyone has taken an excursion and felt that bad weather totally spoiled it, I'd like to hear their thoughts.  Thanks so much!

I think that you have a comprehensive understanding of Alaska and your shore excursions. 

On our cruise, it rained almost every day (including sea days) except for Ketchikan. 

We packed umbrellas and rain coats. Never used the umbrellas. The ship was selling $3 plastic bag ponchos at the gangway.

Our Shore Ex included nature walks and the Tracy Arm Glacier Explorer out of Juneau. On the Glacier Explorer, some enjoyed the scenery from inside the boat's cabin. Most journeyed outside where there was rain, drizzle, sleet and freezing cold (although having to wear a mask covered most of our face).

We had no problems with adapting to the weather.

Totem, Bight State Park & Lumberjack Show - I don't see any issue with doing this with a rain coat/wind breaker with hood.

Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer - I don't see any issue with doing this with a rain coat/wind breaker with hood. (For our glacier explorer shore ex, we had a heavier coat under a rain coat due to the cold temps at the glacier). 

image.png.0a82df64d008b7985a0daa61e5c7109d.png

So many helpful answers, and I appreciate the imput.  I now know we can enjoy excursions even in rainy weather as long as we dress properly.  ( We live on the "Space Coast" of Florida and it is sweltering, so being outside in cold weather sounds wonderful right about now! )  Will be sure to pack some waterproof rain gear and dress in layers on excursion days,  I was mainly concerned that bad weather might spoil the views, etc during excursions, but no one has mentioned that, so will go ahead and book an excursion or two for our late September cruise.  Thanks again everyone!