1st Time Cruiser Questions

Cruise Grana

We will be cruising for the first time in May - to Alaska. A few questions I have are:

1) If you are accustomed to sleeping with a fan - can one be obtained from the cabin steward?

2) I've read on these boards of Hot Chocolate of soup being offered to passengers while cruising glaciers - is this complimentary or is there a fee?

3) Would those not consuming alcohol be conspicuous in the louges - specifically the Piano Bar or Crow's nest? How different is the atmosphere during the day or in the evening?

Thanks much for your valuable info.

We are very excited - cannot wait!!

Welcome. I hope you discover you love cruising as much as I do.

Answers to questions:

Don't count on being able to get a fan once onboard. Plan to pack a small one in your luggage.

The hot chocolate and/or soup offered on deck during glacier viewing are complimentary. If you want to add liquor to the hot chocolate there will be a charge.

I have not done an Alaska cruise recently. There used to be blankets available to wrap yourself in while on deck. Hope those are still available.

You will not be pressured to drink in any of the lounges. The servers will gladly provide you with coffee or water if you wish. No charge for these unless you want a Spanish coffee or other alcoholic coffee drink. Soft drinks are available in the lounges also, at a charge. Many people just stop in the lounges for a bit to listen to music or dance, then move on. Others spend the evening in their favorite lounge.

Pre>1.Alaska there is no place on earth ...well except the Provinces..Yukon Territory and NWT in Canada like it..

1. Having your fan just check on the Voltages. Do not expect alot from a cabin steward except a clean room...etc...

2. Hot beverages even Broth as well we have had not just on the Alaska cruises. Choice is a personal matter..

3. Your choice of beverages is yours alone. We do not really drink many alcoholic drinks aboard.. At the longes try even a Ginger Ale and Roses lime juice thats just like a Gimlet .

Your first cruise is one of the most memorial times bring plenty of Memory sticks for your cameras.. Wildlife there in Alaska is such a remarkable thing to view.. the Glacier Blue ice is an event your always going to remember unless you have seen glaciers already... even bring a voice recorder to document your thoughts for later will be a great benefit too.

Have a safe trip , may the wind be at your backside and God speed.

3) Would those not consuming alcohol be conspicuous in the louges - specifically the Piano Bar or Crow's nest?

Not only, of course, can you drink soft drinks of all kinds, but HAL makes all their tropical drinks 'virgin', w/out alcohol, and many many people order them. Just say you would like a Virgin Diaquiri, Virgin Pina Colada or whatever and the steward thinks nothing of it. Looks the same, just no liquor in it and it is still delicious. (And when serving they never give the alcoholic drink to the 'virgin' customer, if that is a concern.)

For HAL Alaska cruises where are the best picture taking spots on the ship? Without spending zillions, is there a cabin best suited for photo taking?
Any outside deck will be great for taking photos (forward, aft, port or starboard.) If you have a verandah, that's a great place for pictures, too. When viewing a glacier, the captain will spin the ship around so people on both sides will be able to have a great view.

We will be cruising for the first time in May - to Alaska. A few questions I have are:

1) If you are accustomed to sleeping with a fan - can one be obtained from the cabin steward?

2) I've read on these boards of Hot Chocolate of soup being offered to passengers while cruising glaciers - is this complimentary or is there a fee?

3) Would those not consuming alcohol be conspicuous in the louges - specifically the Piano Bar or Crow's nest? How different is the atmosphere during the day or in the evening?

Thanks much for your valuable info.

We are very excited - cannot wait!!

It looks as if everyone has adequately answered your cruise questions, but I was wondering which ship are you sailing on in May? We are sailing on the Oosterdam out of Seattle May 27th. I don't know if you have seen postings on these boards about it, but on most HAL sailings there will be a Cruise Critic get-together.

Richard & Judie

Archived