How to meet testing reqs (Allure, FL, Sep)?

Hoping they don't implement the 2-day pre-cruise testing at all but at least not before September 13, since we board Allure on the 12th and already have our testing scheduled 3 days out! However, we will have to deal with it again in November and into next year, unless it's not required by then. One can only hope at this point! I am beyond stressed about it!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 10:40 AM, GTO-Girl said:

And to throw another wrench into everything…..CDC is now “recommending” the cruise lines reduce their testing window from 3 days prior to 2 days prior.

Hoping and praying they don’t elect to do this as it puts too much burden on us….but I am afraid it is coming.  They want to implement this as soon as Sept. 13th!!!

70636220-5B1B-436C-BE0C-8785F745F38F.png

Reading row 1 - sooooo it's 3 days for not vaccinated but 2 for vaccinated? Dang, how to revert a vaccination shot 🤪? Asking for a friend 😁

Ok some clarity on '3 days' - 

"For sailings that require a pre-cruise test, you will be asked to take the test no more than 3 days before your sail date. How to calculate “3 days before”: The day you set sail is not included as one of the days. So for example, if you are setting sail on a Saturday, you can take your test on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday before."

Source - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

The only way to avoid the stress and continual changes is to buy at-home tests through emed that are proctored and certified. It's $150 for 6 tests, which should cover several cruises. All the cruise lines except for RCL have changed to the 2-day requirement, and promising some sort of backup testing at the port, and Disney announced last night testing for everyone at the port. There are youtube videos by cruisers showing how the test is done and how to register online. If RCL goes to full testing at the pier, like Disney and NCL, then you can use the home tests as reassurance before you travel. If they only offer testing as a backup, then for the $150 you'll avoid the stress of searching for a test or waiting for results, and you'll avoid the stress and delayed boarding of a test at the terminal. The only valid test for cruising is Abbot BinaxNOW with Ag Card with emed telehealth services, only sold through emed.com or optum.com. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rj59 said:

The only way to avoid the stress and continual changes is to buy at-home tests through emed that are proctored and certified. It's $150 for 6 tests, which should cover several cruises. All the cruise lines except for RCL have changed to the 2-day requirement, and promising some sort of backup testing at the port, and Disney announced last night testing for everyone at the port. There are youtube videos by cruisers showing how the test is done and how to register online. If RCL goes to full testing at the pier, like Disney and NCL, then you can use the home tests as reassurance before you travel. If they only offer testing as a backup, then for the $150 you'll avoid the stress of searching for a test or waiting for results, and you'll avoid the stress and delayed boarding of a test at the terminal. The only valid test for cruising is Abbot BinaxNOW with Ag Card with emed telehealth services, only sold through emed.com or optum.com. 

I agree, and I'm leaning more and more toward using this, rather than scheduling appointments.  I downloaded the NAVICA app to my phone to find out more about the process, and you can buy the 6-pack kits directly from the app, which directs you to the emed.com website, and then back to the app.

Not yelling here, but: IT'S IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT IF YOU PLAN ON USING THESE OVER A PERIOD OF TIME, THE EXPIRATION DATE FOR EACH TEST TO BE USED IS 12 MONTHS FROM MANUFACTURE.  HOWEVER, WITH INVENTORY FLOW, YOU MAY END UP WITH A KIT THAT EXPIRES WITHIN 4-12 MONTHS.

So, best to buy the kits close to when your first cruise is scheduled.  If you can't use the remainder, you are close to the cost of a rapid test at a testing site, anyway.

And, if you really want the details:

https://www.fda.gov/media/144574/download

Edited by pcur

11 hours ago, pcur said:

I agree, and I'm leaning more and more toward using this, rather than scheduling appointments.  I downloaded the NAVICA app to my phone to find out more about the process, and you can buy the 6-pack kits directly from the app, which directs you to the emed.com website, and then back to the app.

Not yelling here, but: IT'S IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT IF YOU PLAN ON USING THESE OVER A PERIOD OF TIME, THE EXPIRATION DATE FOR EACH TEST TO BE USED IS 12 MONTHS FROM MANUFACTURE.  HOWEVER, WITH INVENTORY FLOW, YOU MAY END UP WITH A KIT THAT EXPIRES WITHIN 4-12 MONTHS.

So, best to buy the kits close to when your first cruise is scheduled.  If you can't use the remainder, you are close to the cost of a rapid test at a testing site, anyway.

And, if you really want the details:

https://www.fda.gov/media/144574/download

Please read the actual documentation from the manufacturer over assuming that it's 12 months from the Manufacture date.

BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf

1 hour ago, mauraoel said:

Please read the actual documentation from the manufacturer over assuming that it's 12 months from the Manufacture date.

BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf 318.06 kB · 1 download

I did read both the user guide and the user manual.  I do know the expiration date is 12 months from manufacture.  What I'm referring to is how long the test kit might have been sitting in inventory somewhere before it is sold.  Like buying a bottle of Tylenol:  you buy it from the pharmacy, but the expiration date is more recent than you expect, because it's been sitting in inventory in a warehouse for several months. 

What I posted above was a quote from a question asked about the expiration date, and the seller said depending on inventory flow it could be from 4 to 12 months.  That's why I recommend buying it directly from Abbott / eMed.com.  It is likely to be "full strength" for lack of a better phrase.

It's official, RCCL testing is now 2 days before. That sucks. Basically if going out of Fla, you'll need to live there. I guess since I live in MD, I'll need to go out of Baltimore or maybe Cape Liberty. It's the CDC causing this change.

6 hours ago, pcur said:

I did read both the user guide and the user manual.  I do know the expiration date is 12 months from manufacture.  What I'm referring to is how long the test kit might have been sitting in inventory somewhere before it is sold.  Like buying a bottle of Tylenol:  you buy it from the pharmacy, but the expiration date is more recent than you expect, because it's been sitting in inventory in a warehouse for several months. 

What I posted above was a quote from a question asked about the expiration date, and the seller said depending on inventory flow it could be from 4 to 12 months.  That's why I recommend buying it directly from Abbott / eMed.com.  It is likely to be "full strength" for lack of a better phrase.

But the attached document shows that Abbott says the expiration date isn't a year from manufacturer date.  It's about a month off.  Since Abbott is the manufacturer going by their date will be what they do incase of a grievance of the test not working correctly. 

5 hours ago, smalltimecruiser100 said:

It's official, RCCL testing is now 2 days before. That sucks. Basically if going out of Fla, you'll need to live there. I guess since I live in MD, I'll need to go out of Baltimore or maybe Cape Liberty. It's the CDC causing this change.

I live in Virginia and will be cruising out of Florida this month and in January i am not happy with the changes since the PCR test requirements for kids that aren't vaccinated is impossible but I will deal with the two day window just like we are handling the three day window.   

Hopefully all of this craziness will cease next year sometime so that when our grandkids sail again it won't be an issue.

• Like 2

I just ordered my BinaxNOW test kits through the Navica app last night.  The order was approved, and I have emed and FedEx confirming delivery either tomorrow or Tuesday.  The total cost including CA taxes and shipping is $178 for 6 test kits.

I decided to get the kits now since I'm traveling on 11/1/21 to visit a friend in Kauai, and the HI government might require a negative test result to fly in.  

Then, I'll use the rest of them the first half of next year.

I'm pleased how quickly it's done, as also reported by other posters.

Edited by pcur