Covid test 72 hours before trip.

tncruiser11

Oh great.  How many tests are we going to have to take?  We're on the Breakaway to Bermuda sailing.  Bermuda has us testing 4 days before we get on the ship for their authorisation form.  Then we test at the pier.  Then we test again when we arrive in Bermuda.

So are we now going to have to test again at three days before sailing?!  This is crazy.  Really hoping that NCL will accept the 4 day prior test for Bermuda, rather than making us take a 4th test at three day mark. 

• Like 4

OK, looked at the letter a bit more closely.  A little tough for these old eyes to read.  Very tiny print.  LOL!

Looks like it currently is only for the Seattle cruises.  Really hope they don't apply it to the Bermuda cruises.

• Like 2

This is not a required test to board the ship. I received the same letter today and this is what it means.  If you fail the antigen test provided by NCL at the pier NCL will not be responsible for any costs incurred as a result of being quarantined unless you have proof of a negative PCR or antigen test within 72 hours of boarding.  Also if you do have proof of a test it must meet certain requirements to be able to verify its authenticity.

Edited by WorkNCruise
Context error

Hubby and I are booked for the Sept. 4 Alaska cruise from Seattle, and all I can say is that this totally sucks. We live in a sparsely populated area, no local pharmacies or medical clinics are doing testing for travel purpose. The nearest one is 45 minutes away and can't promise that we will have our results back in time. I HATE the constantly shifting goal posts. Boo on you NCL.

We'd planned on doing a home antigen test prior to flying to our cruise departure port just for peace of mind. I may have to consider a PCR test instead. And if you need to have strong documentation of who and when, it looks as though a home test might not stand up as "proof." 

9 minutes ago, TheSecondSister said:

Hubby and I are booked for the Sept. 4 Alaska cruise from Seattle, and all I can say is that this totally sucks. We live in a sparsely populated area, no local pharmacies or medical clinics are doing testing for travel purpose. The nearest one is 45 minutes away and can't promise that we will have our results back in time. I HATE the constantly shifting goal posts. Boo on you NCL.

I think I will try this one from Amazon. 

• Like 1

If you're going into Seattle early, I read on another thread (either Celebrity or Holland America) that there are places in Seattle to get a test and that the airport also does tests.  I don't believe that any of them are free though.

The information may not be only for Seattle departures. The new sail safe guidelines have been updated and state that you will not receive a refund nor be reimbursed for quarantine or travel costs without a negative test within 72 hours. The information is located in the faq section.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe#t4m1

35 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm confused.  Does Seattle impose a mandatory quarantine on anybody who has a positive Covid test?  That would seem crazy.  Can I obtain sanctuary in the autonomous zone where Cops aren't allowed?

Not mandatory. But you have to camp on a sidewalk under a blue tarp if you do.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, tncruiser11 said:

The information may not be only for Seattle departures. The new sail safe guidelines have been updated and state that you will not receive a refund nor be reimbursed for quarantine or travel costs without a negative test within 72 hours. The information is located in the faq section.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe#t4m1

"Within 72 hours of sail date" is too vague for my tastes....

I'm going to have to assume that's 72 hours before 12:01am of the sail date (timezone of the departure port)

Hypothetical situation:  Cruise departs on Saturday.  I get a test in my home town on Thursday and test positive.  Do I still travel to the port so that I can test positive there and get my cruise refunded?  If I don't show up at the port, will NCL trust me and refund my cruise (I highly doubt it)?

20 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Hypothetical situation:  Cruise departs on Saturday.  I get a test in my home town on Thursday and test positive.  Do I still travel to the port so that I can test positive there and get my cruise refunded?  If I don't show up at the port, will NCL trust me and refund my cruise (I highly doubt it)?

Positive PCR tests are generally the gold standard and I believe I read that the refund policy states if you test positive anytime within 14 days of your cruise you would be denied boarding. So as long as you had a legitimate PCR test that documented your positive results, NCL would have to accept that and issue a refund. No one should be expected to travel once they have a confirmed positive - that would fly in the face of all public health guidelines.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, goldmom said:

Oh great.  How many tests are we going to have to take?  We're on the Breakaway to Bermuda sailing.  Bermuda has us testing 4 days before we get on the ship for their authorisation form.  Then we test at the pier.  Then we test again when we arrive in Bermuda.

So are we now going to have to test again at three days before sailing?!  This is crazy.  Really hoping that NCL will accept the 4 day prior test for Bermuda, rather than making us take a 4th test at three day mark. 

Also on the Breakaway to Bermuda and hoping you may know the answer to this - I know we need to get the PCR test regardless, but do you know if we need to get the authorization form if we choose not to get off the ship? Just curious.  Which week are you going? We are sailing October 10th

25 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Positive PCR tests are generally the gold standard and I believe I read that the refund policy states if you test positive anytime within 14 days of your cruise you would be denied boarding. So as long as you had a legitimate PCR test that documented your positive results, NCL would have to accept that and issue a refund. No one should be expected to travel once they have a confirmed positive - that would fly in the face of all public health guidelines.

Thank you.  You are correct:

• "If you, your family members or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian. To qualify for the FCC, if your COVID-19 test was administered by a provider other than one retained by Norwegian, you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to Norwegian."

1 hour ago, kevintheoman said:

"Within 72 hours of sail date" is too vague for my tastes....

I'm going to have to assume that's 72 hours before 12:01am of the sail date (timezone of the departure port)

That is why for my Sept 4th sailing, I have scheduled a PCR test on Sept 2nd. My local CVS says 1-2 days for test results. And then I think after my PCR, I will try to find BINAX Antigen At Home Test in case for some reason CVS is delayed with my PCR 

2 hours ago, worktocruise610 said:

Also on the Breakaway to Bermuda and hoping you may know the answer to this - I know we need to get the PCR test regardless, but do you know if we need to get the authorization form if we choose not to get off the ship? Just curious.  Which week are you going? We are sailing October 10th

I emailed to an address for health on Bermuda Health site and was told that as long as you do not get off ship in Bermuda,no paper work or testing need be done".However,you must comply with cruise lines mandates"This took place about ten days ago and may have changed!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm confused.  Does Seattle impose a mandatory quarantine on anybody who has a positive Covid test?  That would seem crazy.  Can I obtain sanctuary in the autonomous zone where Cops aren't allowed?

If you test positive, you are not allowed to travel on any public transportation. You can not travel to Seattle. And you can not travel from Seattle, unless you are in your private vehicle. No planes, trains, or rented automobiles. 

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

That is why for my Sept 4th sailing, I have scheduled a PCR test on Sept 2nd. My local CVS says 1-2 days for test results. And then I think after my PCR, I will try to find BINAX Antigen At Home Test in case for some reason CVS is delayed with my PCR 

That binax home test, the kit includes two tests. If the result is negative you are to take take the second test to confirm it by taking the second test 36 hours later.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If you test positive, you are not allowed to travel on any public transportation. You can not travel to Seattle. And you can not travel from Seattle, unless you are in your private vehicle. No planes, trains, or rented automobiles. 

That all sounds good, but how do they enforce it?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Marygracie C. said:

I emailed to an address for health on Bermuda Health site and was told that as long as you do not get off ship in Bermuda,no paper work or testing need be done".However,you must comply with cruise lines mandates"This took place about ten days ago and may have changed!!!

i am sailing on the Breakaway at the end of october. I have a feeling NCL will required that travel authorization as part of the checkin we do the terminal. I read somewhere either on the Bermuda website or somewhere else that the ship needs to send to the port official a manifest of everyone onboard the ship.