Covid test 72 hours before trip.

tncruiser11

7 hours ago, mma__leanne said:

Has anyone used BinaxNOW, and does the report show your birthday? The NCL Sail Safe FAQs list that as a requirement.I want to buy them, but not if they can’t be used with NCL

Yes per the photo of actual test results in comment 4 of this helpful thread on the BinaxNow test:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruiser021421 said:

However, although not required, if you don’t have one and either test positive at the pier or become positive during the cruise, per NCL’s Sail Safe policy, NCL will not assist with any expenses that may be above and beyond your insurance coverage or with any expenses at all, if you do not have insurance. All outlined in the FAQs toward the bottom of the Sail Safe page.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

That is correct. But if you have travel insurance which covers such situation then you are fine. NCL will assist in the situation but they won't be paying the bill. 

Even if you tested before hand NCL wouldn't assist on any cost if it is covered by your travel insurance.

Edited by JezzaC

I will add, please review your travel insurance carefully.  Mandatory quarantine isn’t necessary considered a medical expense by travel insurances.  NCL’s own travel insurance does, but some consider it a trip delay.  It’s very tricky to interpret, but I would highly recommend taking the test so you are covered just in case. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sixtytwo said:

Just saw an article on The Points Guy that said Carnival and one other line is now requiring a negative test 2 days prior to boarding, not 3 as it has been! Seems like this is a CDC recommendation now. 😳

The difference is that NCL is testing at the pier, which he is clearly a test taken within 48 hours, in accordance with the CDC recommendations. Other lines aren't testing at the pier, so passengers need to test within 48 hours on their own I order to comply with the recommendation. NCL's 72 hour recommendation is a way to cover their a**es and limit the costs or having to pay quarantine and travel expenses for people who do test positive at the pier.

On 8/31/2021 at 1:12 PM, JezzaC said:

If you have travel insurance which covers also COVID situation, then there isn't any point of taking the test 72 hours before either. If you would test positive in terminal then you can use your insurance instead of NCL paying the costs. Since anyway situation can be so that people test negative 72 hours before and test result will change in couple days. 

Of course there is.  I'm flying to my port and, if I'm positive, I'd rather avoid getting on a plane in the first place, to say nothing of being quarantined in a strange city.  I'm triple vaxxed but the vaccines aren't 100%.  The best one can hope for is for minimal symptoms if exposed.

I'll get a test a day or two before I leave for the port and the NCL test before I board.