NCL airport transfer upon return to port.

ChiefMateJRK

I have an upcoming AK cruise and plan to utilize the NCL airport transfer buses upon return to port.  I have some notes from a previous discussion with NCL where I was told that I had to book/pay these either four days (or more) prior to cruise departure or book them while on the ship (I assume billing to my on-board account).  I understand that these are not refundable.  Has any of this changed?  Thanks.

Never heard that they were nonrefundable and I don't see anything in the info about refunds, so I suggest you contact NCL directly.  I have cancelled transfers before but always prior to the cruise, usually because I chose a post-cruise excursion, which by the way is eligible for the $50 excursion credit.

You should be able to book onboard, although it's possible they could sell out depending on your flight time - seems like they start advertising it about halfway through the cruise.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Never heard that they were nonrefundable and I don't see anything in the info about refunds, so I suggest you contact NCL directly.  I have cancelled transfers before but always prior to the cruise, usually because I chose a post-cruise excursion, which by the way is eligible for the $50 excursion credit.

You should be able to book onboard, although it's possible they could sell out depending on your flight time - seems like they start advertising it about halfway through the cruise.

Thanks.  The section in my on-line trip summary that offers the transfer sign up has a link to the standard cancellation policy, which indicates only that add-ons cancelled within 30 days of sailing have a 100% cancellation fee.

I will check with NCL again, but sometimes we get more of the story right here on the forum.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I just looked on the transfers section on NCL.com and noticed that the section they used to have on there with the ports that had this service and the cost each way is no longer there.

Yep.  That's been gone for a while.  

Not sure why cancellation is an issue. Buy your transfers or not. There is no taxi stand or Uber zone at the port. People were walking several blocks to get away from the mess to catch an Uber. Not really worth it. When we disembarked, I checked and both Uber and Lyft were around $63 + tip. 

The NCL transfer took us right to the checking counter. (They used to drop at the bus terminal in the parking structure). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not sure why cancellation is an issue. Buy your transfers or not. There is no taxi stand or Uber zone at the port. People were walking several blocks to get away from the mess to catch an Uber. Not really worth it. When we disembarked, I checked and both Uber and Lyft were around $63 + tip. 

The NCL transfer took us right to the checking counter. (They used to drop at the bus terminal in the parking structure). 

Cancellation can become an issue if plans change.  Has anybody here had to change any travel plans this year?

Edited by RumRunner2021

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not sure why cancellation is an issue. Buy your transfers or not.

Not sure why you're questioning this.  In today's Covid travel world, many of us don't make any non-refundable payments until we absolutely have to.  I was just asking a simple question.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Not sure why you're questioning this.  In today's Covid travel world, many of us don't make any non-refundable payments until we absolutely have to.  I was just asking a simple question.

8 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

Cancellation can become an issue if plans change.  Has anybody here had to change any travel plans this year?

You want a pro tip from someone who sails

out of Pier 66 every year: Go online and book your transfers. Then it’s done. you need to get to the airport one way or another and the ship’s transfer is just as good as any other. 

If you cancel your cruise or it is cancelled for you, you get your money back. 

personally, we are not people who wake up and stand at the gangway at 4 am to be first off, hoping to save $5 using Uber. At the time we disembarked, those Uber people were paying nearly 50% more than the ship transfer and walking for blocks to get their ride. (Remember that most of the street is blocked off with trucks and tankers of provisions for oil the next cruise). 

And,,, Seattle is gonna be oppressively hot and humid or raining. It is a lot nicer to walk from an air conditioned terminal into a motor coach than casing a cab or ride share down the street). 

These people chose not to use a transfer a few weeks ago. 
5589E404-7703-4811-818C-9C3C146668B3.thumb.jpeg.dabb4b0826f129e14f419034aca831f6.jpeg

Second pro tip: use the Port Valet service to pick up your bags at your stateroom and deliver them to your destination airport. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

out of Pier 66 every year: Go online and book your transfers. Then it’s done. you need to get to the airport one way or another and the ship’s transfer is just as good as any other. 

You may need to reread my post.  I never suggested that I was considering anything other than the NCL transfer.  I was just asking about payment timing.

Why do you think that if I cancel my cruise I will get my money back in all cases?

10 minutes ago, IrishKathy said:

Hi Bird,

What time does the first transfer shuttle leave?  We have an 11:50 AM flight.  Will we get to SeaTac in enough time to check in?   Thanks.

According to the old "Airport and Cruise Pier Transfer" document, you need to allow 4 hrs.

The other option is to buy a private transfer.  I can't name the company since I haven't used them yet, but there's one that shuttles people every 15 minutes from 7 to 11 a.m.  They appear to use mini buses.  They have a 72 hour cancellation policy.

3 hours ago, IrishKathy said:

Hi Bird,

What time does the first transfer shuttle leave?  We have an 11:50 AM flight.  Will we get to SeaTac in enough time to check in?   Thanks.

7:30 was the first “scheduled” disembarkation time. If you want pick up your bags in the baggage hall, it’s 8:00. 

The ship is scheduled to arrive at 6:00. As soon as it clears, you can get off and on a transfer bus. They are dispatched as soon as they fill up. 
97793827-48C4-4834-8C6E-A14817CD9E3B.thumb.jpeg.4c00103e614dd95382890547e1f1cccd.jpeg

this was our timeline using a NCL transfer. 

8:45 left stateroom 

9:27 arrive airport (about 25 min drive)

10:09 checked in bags and through security.

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

Now I am worried (again). We have NCL transfer and took BOGO air, thinking that doing everything NCL would be easier in Covid times. But, NCL gave us a 10:20 am Alaskan air flight home. Are we gonna make it? What happens if we encounter delays and miss the flight?

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Just an update.  I was on the phone with NCL today and confirmed that I can book my airport NCL transfer while on the ship.  The agent suggested that this is generally the best approach.

yes, but you need to be aware of when they end sales (usually mid-cruise some time). 

16 minutes ago, zdcatc12 said:

And you will pay about twice what a private transfer would be.

I don't believe anybody asked about this.  This thread is entirely about how/when to purchase NCL's airport transfer.  I couldn't care less about cost relative to other options.  I'm taking the NCL airport xfer.  Case closed.  I only asked about payment options.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2021 at 4:03 AM, BirdTravels said:

personally, we are not people who wake up and stand at the gangway at 4 am to be first off, hoping to save $5 using Uber. At the time we disembarked, those Uber people were paying nearly 50% more than the ship transfer and walking for blocks to get their ride. (Remember that most of the street is blocked off with trucks and tankers of provisions for oil the next cruise). 

And,,, Seattle is gonna be oppressively hot and humid or raining. It is a lot nicer to walk from an air conditioned terminal into a motor coach than casing a cab or ride share down the street). 

These people chose not to use a transfer a few weeks ago. 
5589E404-7703-4811-818C-9C3C146668B3.thumb.jpeg.dabb4b0826f129e14f419034aca831f6.jpeg

Second pro tip: use the Port Valet service to pick up your bags at your stateroom and deliver them to your destination airport. 

Since I asked....  We did wind up taking the NCL transfer.  I had never used Uber or Lyft before this trip, but used them both prior to boarding the ship.  I was very impressed with how they do things.  So impressed that we didn't bother booking the NCL xfer either before the cruise or on the ship.  We were required to get out of our rooms by 9:00, but left a bit after 8:30.  Uber XL and Lyft XL were both pricing out at less than the cost of the NCL xfer for our party of three.  "Unfortunately," there was an NCL rep in the baggage area hawking their busses.  He got us a reduced price ($40 vs. the regular $75) so we said "what the heck" and signed up.  We all wish we hadn't.  There was an hour long wait for the NCL bus and neither drivers or passengers seemed to be in very good moods.  Next time it's Uber or Lyft and I don't care if it's ten dollars more (or less).

• Thanks 1