CDC Urges Americans to Not Come to Canada

zook50

6 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

As shifty as both Washington and Ottawa are (Washington more so), I don't (yet) see any of this as a game. We're in the middle of a fluid, volatile public health crisis.

Is there anything in US policy or law that requires it to treat its borders with Canada and Mexico equitably?   

In my research I can find no legal reason to keep both borders closed.  The Southern US border is a friggin mess with illegals pouring across that border.  The Customs and Border security are overwhelmed with this (Biden admin) made problem.  Literally hundreds of thousands of people are illegally crossing the border.  I know it’s not covered much in Canada but it is happening 24/7 daily.  If they open the border to Mexico it will exacerbate the problem down there.  Yes, it is my opinion, and the opinion of others, that Canada is being held hostage to the situation on the Southern border, otherwise it makes no sense.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hubbards said:

In my research I can find no legal reason to keep both borders closed.

It's only the land borders that are closed, not the air or water borders.  And even with respect to land, the closure isn't 100%.  Members of my immediate family with dual citizenship have travelled back and forth overland with relative ease. 

There's actually a practical reason for limiting movement on the land borders: 

If the land borders were kept open during the past eighteen months, border agencies would be overwhelmed and paralyzed by long lines of cars and buses whose drivers and passengers would all need to be processed - interviewed, have their temperature taken, etc.  As many millions of Canadians live within easy driving distance of the US border, chaos would ensue.

Limiting border crossings to air or sea travel is an effective way to decrease the cross-border migration. Border agencies can cope better with lesser numbers of people to process and scrutinize in a controlled setting like an airport or sea port. 

Edited by lots-of-km2

24 minutes ago, hubbards said:

In my research I can find no legal reason to keep both borders closed.

Forgot to add -- I haven't yet seen any evidence (in law, policy or otherwise)  that the US-Canadian and the US-Mexico border are compelled to be treated the same way by the Americans.  Canada and Mexico are different places with different issues. 

6 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Forgot to add -- I haven't yet seen any evidence (in law, policy or otherwise)  that the US-Canadian and the US-Mexico border are compelled to be treated the same way by the Americans.  Canada and Mexico are different places with different issues. 

Precisely, it’s political.  Not everyone can afford to buy a airplane ticket and spend upwards of $200 per covid test to leave and return to cross the border by air.  I drove across the border a few weeks ago to see my 91 year old mother in NJ.  I was across in 2 minutes into the US as they do not require a Covid test to cross into the US.

9 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Limiting border crossings to air or sea travel is an effective way to decrease the cross-border migration. Border agencies can cope better with lesser numbers of people to process and scrutinize in a controlled setting like an airport or sea port.

Reminder that the thread is about the CDC recommending that Americans avoid non-essential travel to Canada (Level 3) - no distinction in mode of travel.

If you don't believe there are politics involved:

Canada vs Poland - roughly same population

Canada 32,000 active Covid cases - Poland 157,000 active Covid cases

Canada 27,000 deaths - Poland 75,000 deaths

CDC - Canada Level 3 avoid non-essential travel - Poland  Level 1 make sure you are vaccinated

10 hours ago, Robjame said:

Reminder that the thread is about the CDC recommending that Americans avoid non-essential travel to Canada (Level 3) - no distinction in mode of travel.

If you don't believe there are politics involved:

Canada vs Poland - roughly same population

Canada 32,000 active Covid cases - Poland 157,000 active Covid cases

Canada 27,000 deaths - Poland 75,000 deaths

CDC - Canada Level 3 avoid non-essential travel - Poland  Level 1 make sure you are vaccinated

You missed some critical stats.

Distance to US: Canada 0km, Poland 8,000+km

Visitors from US: Canada 14,000,000+, Poland ~550,000.

5 hours ago, broberts said:

You missed some critical stats.

Distance to US: Canada 0km, Poland 8,000+km

Visitors from US: Canada 14,000,000+, Poland ~550,000.

I have not seen anything that suggests the CDC has decided to apply distance to its THN decisions with respect to covid. Has the CDC actually made a statement to that effect or is this just random speculation?

If and when I decide that I want to cross the land border to the States it will either be open or it won't be open. I can't do anything about it, so I don't worry about it. 

Now I'm off to swimming to do something about that Covid 20 I've put on over the last 18 months. 🏊‍♂️

6 hours ago, Robjame said:

I have not seen anything that suggests the CDC has decided to apply distance to its THN decisions with respect to covid. Has the CDC actually made a statement to that effect or is this just random speculation?

Just common sense. Certainly the CDC uses basic statistics in calculating amount of risk to its homeland. 

On 8/30/2021 at 10:02 PM, zook50 said:

The Globe and Mail just reported that the CDC is now urging Americans to "reconsider travel" to Canada, due to what they call "high" levels of COVID-19 infection.  All I can say is HOW IRONIC.

Seriously....what a JOKE....Have they LOOKED IN THE MIRROR......Actually I am really glad they are telling their people NOT to travel to CANADA.....WE DON'T WANT THEM HERE........

Edited by abby1257
  • Like 2