Oceania Air Question

SEASwim

I read a news story yesterday stating that airlines were starting to reduce capacity on flights between the U.S. and Europe in the wake of the E.U.'s recommendation to reimpose travel restrictions on American travelers. I checked my flight reservations after reading that and--sure enough--my original flight has been canceled. I'm guessing there's now a chance that my outbound itinerary will need to be revised to have three legs rather than the previous two (just a single connection at Heathrow). Here's my question: has anyone been successful getting Oceania to alter their flight schedule without the custom air option? What I'm thinking is that I would prefer an overnight stay in London (with the hotel at my own expense) over needing to take three flight legs, and I'm wondering if Oceania would accommodate that request.

Ask your TA to find out or O directly, no real way of knowing in today’s travel environment.  We have stayed overnight at a Heathrow hotel and it was convenient. I hate multiple segment flights too. We did opt for three flight segments this time from the West Coast to Amsterdam to Istanbul to catch Riviera and so far it is looking good. Good luck.

gerry

29 minutes ago, SEASwim said:

Yes, I am going through a TA, so would you suggest contacting them rather than O directly? I'm new to this, so please bear with me.

O Air won’t talk to you directly. Call your TA.

All these flight cancellations have zero to do with some just announced undetermined EU policy. Even 1.5 months ago, UA was cancelling flights and juggling schedules right up to near flight time. It’s mostly about flight consolidation and where they need a plane when. In a short stint, our US departure city change from EWR to Dulles, to ORD, which meant all the earlier flights and connections got changed also. They airlines can’t afford to fly planes across the oceans with a half dozen folks on board. They are forced to consolidate flights to survive.

If you’re flying through Heathrow, I’m guessing it’s AA or BA. They’ll probably be flexible with you if they alter your original tickets. They have thus far been with us.

Remember that if you’re flying on an Oceania issued ticket that some lines like SAS won’t talk to you until 72 hours before flight time, only to Oceania. Other carriers will talk to you directly, once the tickets have been issued!! 

• Thanks 1

Okay, thanks. I'll contact my TA. And, yes, it's British Airways.

By the way, I dispute your assertion that it had zero to do with the E.U. decision. The airlines need to forecast future demand, and that decision certainly would be a factor in that forecast. And, as I said, I read an article yesterday specifically stating that decision led to some airlines adjusting their schedules.

Edited by SEASwim

We found that there could be high additional charge from Oceania for a mid route overnight stay as in your desire to stay at Heathrow.  So we do our own bookings with BA.  Sometimes separate bookings for international and for within Europe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SEASwim said:

By the way, I definitely wouldn't stay at Heathrow. I'd take the train into London and see as much as possible there and stay at a hotel somewhere near central London!

With London traffic, getting back to Heathrow could be nerve wracking.  Our plan is to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport in Hounslow, which is a short walk from the Hatton Cross station on the Piccadilly line – 44 minutes to Piccadilly for sightseeing, a few minutes taxi ride to LHR for check-in.

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

With London traffic, getting back to Heathrow could be nerve wracking.  Our plan is to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport in Hounslow, which is a short walk from the Hatton Cross station on the Piccadilly line – 44 minutes to Piccadilly for sightseeing, a few minutes taxi ride to LHR for check-in.

My plan would be to use the Heathrow Express train, or the Tube if I have lots of time. The express train takes 15-21 minutes from Heathrow to Paddington station depending on which terminal you're going to.

Edited by SEASwim

^ Excellent point. It would be under 24 hours, though.

Edit: based on the following guidance what I'm proposing may not be allowed.

When you transit through England to international destinations

You do not need to quarantine on arrival or take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and day 8. This applies if you are transiting airside or landside.

You must either:

• remain within your port of entry until your departure from England, or
  • travel directly from your port of entry to another port of departure in England

By the leaving Heathrow would I technically be leaving my "port of entry?" I would think so...

Edited by SEASwim
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to mountain grandma for pointing me to the Heathrow site, because it looks like my idea is dead in the water. Passengers arriving from "amber countries" (the US is amber) with a connecting flight on a different day are subject to quarantine. Here's the appropriate section from the Heathrow website: "Passengers arriving from an amber list country with a connecting flight on a separate day must complete 10 days quarantine in a separate location."

3 minutes ago, SEASwim said:

Thanks to mountain grandma for pointing me to the Heathrow site, because it looks like my idea is dead in the water. Passengers arriving from "amber countries" (the US is amber) with a connecting flight on a different day are subject to quarantine. Here's the appropriate section from the Heathrow website: "Passengers arriving from an amber list country with a connecting flight on a separate day must complete 10 days quarantine in a separate location."

I don't know where you found this, but it is NOT what the UK gov official website says:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england

Visitors from the US (amber) who are vaccinated do NOT need to quarantine.

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I don't know where you found this, but it is NOT what the UK gov official website says:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england

Visitors from the US (amber) who are vaccinated do NOT need to quarantine.

Interesting. This is where I found it: https://www.heathrow.com/customer-support/faq/coronavirus-covid-19#govt-restrictions

It does seem to conflict with the information in your link. Man, all these COVID rules are difficult to navigate...

Edited by SEASwim

9 minutes ago, SEASwim said:

Interesting. This is where I found it: https://www.heathrow.com/customer-support/faq/coronavirus-covid-19#govt-restrictions

It does seem to conflict with the information in your link. Man, all these COVID rules are difficult to navigate...

Followed your link and found this, which is the same advice as on the gov website:

• Amber List –
  • UK, EU and US residents who have been double vaccinated are not required to quarantine on their return to England, however will still need to take a pre departure test and a PCR test on day two of arrival back to England. 
  • Passengers who have not been double vaccinated will need to complete a mandatory 10-day self-isolation period in addition to booking an approved Government testing package for day two and eight of their isolation, and they will have the option for an additional “test to release” on day five to end self-isolation early. Passengers must also take a pre-departure test before returning to England.

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Followed your link and found this, which is the same advice as on the gov website:

• Amber List –
  • UK, EU and US residents who have been double vaccinated are not required to quarantine on their return to England, however will still need to take a pre departure test and a PCR test on day two of arrival back to England. 
  • Passengers who have not been double vaccinated will need to complete a mandatory 10-day self-isolation period in addition to booking an approved Government testing package for day two and eight of their isolation, and they will have the option for an additional “test to release” on day five to end self-isolation early. Passengers must also take a pre-departure test before returning to England.

That's the guidance for passengers whose final destination is the UK, though. Please see the section just above for the guidance for "Transfer Passengers." It's all a bit fuzzy to me. It does seem that the distinction is whether you are going to be in the UK for less than or more than 24 hours. If it's less than 24 hours, it seems to me that they are at least strongly suggesting that you shouldn't leave the airport (see post #11).

FYI, I did get some clarity on this. If you remain on Heathrow Airport grounds (i.e. stay in one of the airport hotels) you are considered to be "in transit." With this option there is no COVID testing requirement, but I think you'd more or less be stuck in the hotel. Once you leave Heathrow it's considered to be a stay in the UK, and then you are subject to the normal rules. For vaccinated travelers coming from the US that means no required quarantine, but you must schedule and pay for a day 2 COVID test even if you're only going to be staying in the UK for one day. It appears that the tests can be purchased starting around £20, so it's not a massive expense. 

Edited by SEASwim