New Carnival testing requirements

oskidunker

4 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

For a lot of reasons I don't envy the Carnival passengers before or after testing at the pier starts in November.  The testing at the pier appears to be intended for passengers that may have had trouble getting their tests back before they board.  It does not appear to be an option that is being designed for all passengers.  OTH Disney is designing a system that will test all passengers at the pier.  

I agree, it's not designed for all passengers, but how are they going to sort out who can or can't take advantage of the testing? If I was a Carnival passenger, I'd plan to do everything I could to avoid this testing until there's further information.

15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I don't see how we can go now.  Logistics very unfavorable and risky.  A real irritating situation.

Here is a repeat of what I reported about our situation on another thread a few minutes ago. 

We cannot change our flights (again) and we are flying cross- country from Philadelphia.  We were planning on getting tested Tuesday, and getting a rapid result before flying to Seattle early Wed morning for the Friday cruise.   Now we would need to take the test Wed morning but our flight is 9AM so leaving for the airport around 6:30 AM.  Even if we could do a 6AM at home test (is that even possible?) it is a big risk to fly without knowing the result or alternatively test the day before somewhere in Seattle.  If positive then what?  Stranded in Seattle. Sleepless in Seattle.   At least if we cruised on the East coast from FL we could always rent a car and drive home in about a day.  IMO no reason the CDC had to make this change as cruise ships of fully vaccinated people have been just fine even with Delta around for months.  A few positives here and there.  So irritating!

Well that is a bummer!!

18 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I don't see how we can go now.  Logistics very unfavorable and risky.  A real irritating situation.

Here is a repeat of what I reported about our situation on another thread a few minutes ago. 

We cannot change our flights (again) and we are flying cross- country from Philadelphia.  We were planning on getting tested Tuesday, and getting a rapid result before flying to Seattle early Wed morning for the Friday cruise.   Now we would need to take the test Wed morning but our flight is 9AM so leaving for the airport around 6:30 AM.  Even if we could do a 6AM at home test (is that even possible?) it is a big risk to fly without knowing the result or alternatively test the day before somewhere in Seattle.  If positive then what?  Stranded in Seattle. Sleepless in Seattle.   At least if we cruised on the East coast from FL we could always rent a car and drive home in about a day.  IMO no reason the CDC had to make this change as cruise ships of fully vaccinated people have been just fine even with Delta around for months.  A few positives here and there.  So irritating!

Could you order two test kits each from Celebrity, then use one at home a day or two before your flight to ensure that you are negative, and the second once you are in Seattle for the cruise? The very quick turn around time - results within minutes - should make this possible, and the peace of mind worth the extra cost. With all of the issues you've had, I really hope that you can make it a go!

57 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I agree, it's not designed for all passengers, but how are they going to sort out who can or can't take advantage of the testing? If I was a Carnival passenger, I'd plan to do everything I could to avoid this testing until there's further information.

I guess they are counting on passengers to tell the truth.   I doubt they will have the resources to test a lot of people and those that do get tested may experience considerable delays.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The very quick turn around time - results within minutes - should make this possible

Results available from the kit 15 minutes after ... you get a proctor lined up on the app (remains to be seen how long this will typically take), you have received instructions, you have taken the swab sample, you have properly twirled the sample on the test medium, and you have added the reagent to the test medium.  My guess, results 25 minutes AFTER you do get hooked up with a proctor.

So the proctors will likely only be able to process 2 pax per hour.  I would imagine that's going to be quite the staffing issue.

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

Results available from the kit 15 minutes after ... you get a proctor lined up on the app (remains to be seen how long this will typically take), you have received instructions, you have taken the swab sample, you have properly twirled the sample on the test medium, and you have added the reagent to the test medium.  My guess, results 25 minutes AFTER you do get hooked up with a proctor.

So the proctors will likely only be able to process 2 pax per hour.  I would imagine that's going to be quite the staffing issue.

Yes, I agree, but the total process should be very quick compared to the 24-48 hour turnaround offered by many testing sites. If Celebrity is going to have any success selling these home kits, the company providing the proctors will need to address the staffing issues as you say. 

Maybe it will be like technical assistance websites where one technician is dealing with multiple calls.  As long as you are being monitored by video the proctor might be able to engage with other customers while your test processes.

It will be interesting to see how it all develops, but since there is money to be made I suspect it will be figured out pretty quickly.🙂

2 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

Maybe it will be like technical assistance websites where one technician is dealing with multiple calls.  As long as you are being monitored by video the proctor might be able to engage with other customers while your test processes.

Losing contact at any point with the person performing the at-home test would seem to defeat the point of whole 'proctoring' process. 

Just now, canderson said:

Losing contact at any point with the person performing the at-home test would seem to defeat the point of whole 'proctoring' process. 

Yes, I get that.

But on Zoom calls I have been on, I can see multiple participants on a continuous basis even when they are not speaking.  I think it would be fairly easy to monitor three or four participants at the same time.  Once the test is administered isn't it just a matter of waiting for the indicator to appear or is there continuing interaction between client and technician (I haven't done one so I'm unsure)?  At any rate, developing adequate capacity will be high on Celebrity's to do list I hope.

• Like 1

"If you scroll down this post you will find detailed instructions on how to administer the test.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/abbott-at-home-covid-test/"

I found this in another thread.  It sheds some light on the process and suggests that one technician could do 12 per hour.  So maybe capacity won't be a serious issue as things more fully develop.

Hope so.🤞

25 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

Once the test is administered isn't it just a matter of waiting for the indicator to appear or is there continuing interaction between client and technician (I haven't done one so I'm unsure)?

It all depends upon how carefully these tests wind up being proctored.  These aren't going to be flight controllers they're hiring.  Talking to and instructing a new client will be a large distraction - a bit much to properly concurrently monitor what's happening at multiple sites at once. 

Oh, that kit you see on the desk?  That's another one that my negative friend had sitting there when I moved my phone up and down a bit. 

Too many possibilities for a 3 Card Monte unless the proctor can stay carefully focused.

6 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

Good point, but that may be why you have to scan the test's QR code before the test and after the result is becomes clear.  Take a look at the link in my post #35.  It is pretty interesting.

I know know there's a QR associated with each test kit,  but is there on on the actual medium card itself?

1 hour ago, canderson said:

I know know there's a QR associated with each test kit,  but is there on on the actual medium card itself?

Not sure, but the CDC seemed comfortable with the process since it can be used for reentering the country.  But you may be correct, the testing requirement may never work out.

Edited by jgmorgan

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Yes, the QR code is right next to the test result window on the card, should be pretty easy to verify before and after to avoid substitutions.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

well if you are sailing next week, the 3 day rule, at least for RCI (Ovation) which I am doing on the 10th, should not have changed.  Ya still have the 3 day rule.  I assume Celebrity still does as well

3 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Yes, the QR code is right next to the test result window on the card, should be pretty easy to verify before and after to avoid substitutions.

Aha.  Sounds like someone thought that through.  Not quite as easy for someone to cheat the system.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

Aha.  Sounds like someone thought that through.  Not quite as easy for someone to cheat the system.

It seems to be a pretty universal feature, the rapid antigen tests we use in the UK are also the same ...

CD26C805-C7B9-4817-ADE7-9C5A5B2191D1.jpeg

Edited by Mark_T

On 9/3/2021 at 10:06 AM, oskidunker said:

Carnival now requiring testing two days in advance, not three per their web site. Celebrity has made no change at this time. 

Effective with sailings as of September 13, 2021, the CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. 

Just booked a cruise on Reflection for this November.  I was told by the Celebrity rep that I will need a Covid test 2 days prior to sailing.