Rapid PCR for kids?

lauren28

I’m just trying to keep a smile on my face and roll with the punches here! 🤪

I understand that kids need a PCR test. I also understand the difference between PCR and antigen testing. From the way I read the new info - I feel like a rapid PCR test is still an option. Does anyone understand it differently? (Or perhaps has already called Royal to verify?!) 

Just now, lauren28 said:

According to guest relations - the rapid PCR will NOT be accepted. 

The majority of people associate the word "rapid" with the antigen test. There is a rapid PCR, but usually you're going to pay $$ for it. Normally it means that the lab is onsite for them to process your results whereas places like CVS and Walgreens and community PCR testing sites are shipping the tests off to a lab to be processed.

A PCR test is a PCR test regardless.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

The majority of people associate the word "rapid" with the antigen test. There is a rapid PCR, but usually you're going to pay $$ for it. Normally it means that the lab is onsite for them to process your results whereas places like CVS and Walgreens and community PCR testing sites are shipping the tests off to a lab to be processed.

A PCR test is a PCR test regardless.

This makes total sense to my nurse mom brain! It blows my mind that things can’t be 100% clear! I just want to go on vacation! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am so confused by Royal Caribbean's testing requirement for children under 12.  In its FAQ on acceptable test types, it reads, and I quote:

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests. 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test.

Yet in the FAQ on testing requirement it states:

• Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test taken no more than 3 days before boarding.  Antigen tests will not be accepted. 

So what the hell happened to NAAT?  Even though PCR and NAAT are both molecular tests, they are not the same procedure.  By specifying just PCR in the testing requirement, is Royal not accepting NAAT results, or did Royal confused PCR and NAAT as one and the same (as evidenced by the phrase "also called a PCR test or NAAT test" ).  Hopefully Royal Caribbean will clear up this confusion as NAAT tests can return results in just a couple hours whereas regular PCR can take days. 

• Haha 1

A rapid PCR takes 60-90 minutes, but less people do these tests since it's done in house. Cruise ships do these if your initial antigen test turns up positive during a cruise.

A standard PCR takes 4-6 hours to process, though with backlogs it might take a couple days to actually get processed.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

RCI just changed their policy "again".  They now offer complimentary Rapid PCR tests for kids.  So no worries for families with kids.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

This is in addition to the testing that is required PRIOR to arriving at the terminal. Make sure you are reading ALL the requirements. 

• Like 2

I believe Quest Diagnostics does the rapid PCR test both in house and at selected pharmacies. If you have a Quest location near you, you may want to check with them about your options.

Edited by orville99

27 minutes ago, lauren28 said:

This is in addition to the testing that is required PRIOR to arriving at the terminal. Make sure you are reading ALL the requirements. 

I read the requirements and I don't see anything that says kids must take a test "PRIOR to arriving at the terminal".  It says:

Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test taken no more than 3 days before boarding. Antigen tests will not be accepted.  

The CDC requires that kids must take a PCR test within 3 days before boarding.  The complimentary test that RCI gives at check-in meets that CDC requirement.  

I can see that this can be interpreted different ways.  I think RCI's latest bulletin is poorly worded, but my feeling is there intent is to not require kids to be tested before arriving at the pier.  Otherwise it just wouldn't make sense.  

1 hour ago, Lou33 said:

RCI just changed their policy "again".  They now offer complimentary Rapid PCR tests for kids.  So no worries for families with kids.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

Only for the boarding day test not for the pre cruise test.

1 minute ago, lauren28 said:

Help me understand where you got that the complimentary testing meets the CDC requirements. 

C38CBA41-F468-4606-B9AE-B750EDF6B9D5.jpeg

OK, as stated, the CDC requirement is: 

Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test taken no more than 3 days before boarding. Antigen tests will not be accepted

That can be met by taking the complimentary test at check-in.  I don't know of any "CDC requirement" that says that kids must also take another test before arriving at the pier.  If there is, then that would be an additional RCI requirement over and above what the CDC requires.  And in my mind it just wouldn't make sense to do that.  

9 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

He's been make these statements on all the treads.  There is two tests that children have to take.

Mauaoel, I'm just trying to be helpful.  I'm not trying to be argumentative.  Do you share my feeling that the new bulletin by RCI can be interpreted in different ways?  Maybe RCI really does want kids to be tested before arriving at the pier and then again at check-in.  But would that make sense?  When a child get's their rapid PCR test at check-in, then RCI will go with that result regardless of the result of the previous test.  

I'm curious what RCI would say if somebody called them.  But you might get different answers depending on who you speak with.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Mauaoel, I'm just trying to be helpful.  I'm not trying to be argumentative.  Do you share my feeling that the new bulletin by RCI can be interpreted in different ways?  Maybe RCI really does want kids to be tested before arriving at the pier and then again at check-in.  But would that make sense?  When a child get's their rapid PCR test at check-in, then RCI will go with that result regardless of the result of the previous test.  

I'm curious what RCI would say if somebody called them.  But you might get different answers depending on who you speak with.  

The bulletin specifically says they need a PCR test up to 3 days in advance IN ADDITION  to the one at check in. 

• Like 4

Out of curiosity, I called RCI and asked about testing requirements for children under 12.  The representative said that children must be tested twice.  And at check-in they must present the results of a PCR test taken within "two days" in advance of the cruise.  So even the people at RCI don't know their own policy.  

BTW, on the CDC website I found a more definitive description of the requirements where it is clear that children must in fact be tested twice.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lou33 said:

No it's very clear it follows the cdc requirements exactly.  I am sure that they aren't happy about most of of the changes but it is what it is.

They are the the only cruise line that was catering to families so to have those changes make it harder for be families has to frustrating for them.   The CDC is the organization that is trying to stop the unvaccinated (kids) from traveling. 

Edited by mauraoel

20 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

The CDC is the organization that is trying to stop the unvaccinated (kids) from traveling. 

I'm fine with any requirements that makes travel safer.  I found the description on the CDC website to be more definitive. 

Edited by Lou33
  • Like 1

I will do whatever is needed, just want to be in that ship.  Don't even care if it docks anywhere.   The problem is finding someplace to rely on for the testing on the day it's needed.  Has anyone asked their pediatrician if they would collect the swabs for the pcr test? Is that too crazy to ask them?

7 minutes ago, nonnie&dgd said:

Is the NAAT test OK for kids under 12? I’m going to try to get this test so we don’t have to wait for results.

The rcl website said it was.  I have been unable to locate anyplace with appointments available for it in my area, though.  One urgent care here says they do same day rtpcr test for 135 dollars each.  I would do that, but am a little concerned because it is a tiny independent place. Dont want to rely on it then learn the report isn't acceptable to Royal.