Going Ashore Alone G134

himan

I notice on the cruise planner for cruise G134 to Canaries on 9 October that it is possible to do unsupervised trips when ashore round markets and shops etc. This seems to contradict P&O policies for control of Covid, some of these excursions are showing sold out. One of these excursions is called Free Time in Las Palmas and is just one example of passengers being in an environment that is uncontrolled and could in worst case scenario lead to a Covid infection and this transmitting onboard. I am not paranoid and in fact just want the world to get back to normal but I am just wondering if these type of excursions are showing sold out due to being cancelled or does P&O have measures in place to test people on this type of excursion. I find it strange that they would even allow this sort of excursion to go ahead as worst case could be total ship isolation due to a large outbreak.as was the case with Diamond Princess. As I already stated we are not concerned about this and know that anyone going ashore would be taking care to minimise risks of contracting this virus but just curious if anyone has had contact with P&O regarding this type of excursion.

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Begs the question of why are you not allowed to go ashore independently.

Exactly, that's what I was thinking. Just generates a lot of confusion and double standards. Chances are you are probably a lot less at risk in some ports than in certain areas of the UK.

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

More likely answer is, will the shore excursions actually go ahead as planned?

Exactly. I would pay no heed to the P&O excursions whilst they continue to have a "no independent" excursion policy. 

I wonder if they have actually updated the excursion itineraries to allow for the Covid restrictions as the way I interpret it is they would be suitable pre-pandemic but have not been amended. That would make sense.