Being Realistic

MrRandal

While I'm usually a pretty optimistic individual, these past 18 months have taught me that you have to be a realist. Anyone planning a trip on the Paul Gauguin in the near future needs to read this article. A "two week pause" was never going to be enough.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Virus-pummels-French-Polynesia-straining-ties-16435373.php#taboola-4

I'm always very optimistic - and really, really thought our June PG cruise would go.  But in April when PG made the announcement that all cruises through August were cancelled, we made the decision to push our trip to Oct 2022...2 years after we were initially to cruise.  In re-booking, I just didn't want to deal with 2021 and have to reschedule a 3rd time.  We have a group of 14 so I'm really glad we all agreed.

10 days ago,  we returned from a 7-night Viking cruise around Iceland.  We had to get a test 3 days before arrival, got tested everyday on the ship, could not do any excursions on our own, had to mask up in all public areas including on all excursions, and keep a distance.  Before disembarking, Viking also provided us with the final test results we needed in order to re-enter the US.  In spite of that, the 6 of us had a fantastic time!  We did agree in advance that we would keep to our group and be kinda anti-social, which is harder than it seemed.  With these Viking "Welcome Back" cruises, we all knew the risks.  The ship had 660 onboard (930 capacity) and I still consider us VERY fortunate that there were no positive cases and no issues (like a busload of people being sent home early) on our sailing.

The only reason I bring this up is I think Viking has it right in keeping everyone as safe as possible. Is testing everyday a pain? YES.  Is it necessary? Probably Not.  Did it make us feel safer? YES. Viking also worked closely with the Icelandic government regarding their protocols.  Yes, there were several cruises with positive cases and some disruptions, but all seemed to get resolved with subsequent sailings.  Once FP allows cruising, if PG follows Viking's lead I think it will help get the ship moving although I expect any cruises for the first few months will still be pretty restrictive with many additional requirements.  I wish anyone who is on the first few trips the best of luck!  The hassle was worth it just as it will be when the first PG cruises resume.   

It was just SO great to be back on a ship and we can't wait for FP Oct 2022!

• Like 1

Mr. Randal, as a long time reader on this board,  I would never consider you "a pretty optimistic individual".

I'm not an optimist, having become a forced investor in Ponant; a cruise line I was not interested in booking with, and could not get money back from a cruise that they cancelled, with an itinerary that will not be offered again while our FCC is still valid.

But the link to that news story is really over the top. For example:

"Epidemiologist Jean-Marc Ségualin said “nothing very significant is happening that shows an improvement.”

Anyone who has had Covid-19 and recovered, will be immune. In a small population, that is significant. I was also unable to find out who this person was. The only reference to his name was in this article. I believe France is trying to stop tourism to French Polynesia. And when they reopened tourism, the French government didn't like it, and bad publicity helps to stop that.

Do you have more information than in the article that you referenced?

1 hour ago, SWFLAOK said:

But the link to that news story is really over the top. For example:

"Epidemiologist Jean-Marc Ségualin said “nothing very significant is happening that shows an improvement.”

Anyone who has had Covid-19 and recovered, will be immune. In a small population, that is significant. I was also unable to find out who this person was. The only reference to his name was in this article. I believe France is trying to stop tourism to French Polynesia. And when they reopened tourism, the French government didn't like it, and bad publicity helps to stop that.

Do you have more information than in the article that you referenced?

There's a typo in the article; his name is Jean-Marc Ségalin and he works in Tahiti.

Esther Cunéo is mentioned as the author of this article in association with the AP and she's a Tahitian journalist.

I've read the full report; it's just a summary of what the local media have recently published — no fabrication here. The tone is very alarming, sure (not that the situation isn't), but the included quotations and data are accurate.

For anyone wanting to closely follow the situation, I suggest regularly checking Tahitian media and using an online translator:

- https://www.tntv.pf/

- https://www.tahiti-infos.com/

- In English, RNZ has regular updates: https://www.rnz.co.nz/tags/French Polynesia

Edited by Abrichoco
formatting
  • Like 5

As Abrichoco stated, the article was written by a reporter on the ground in Papeete, quotes an epidemiologist working in Tahiti, and was published, distributed and I'm certain fact checked by the Associated Press prior to publication. There is nothing over the top about the link, or the article. I believe the information contained was accurate on the day it was published, 9/3/2021. Feel free to disregard if you feel differently. 

Edited by MrRandal
  • Like 2

I did find the doctor's name with the corrected spelling. He seems to be a general practitioner who has helped control the large number of Hepatitis cases in the past. I'm not sure that makes him an epidemiologist, but it's probably the best they have.

Based on that, it sounds like Tahiti doesn't want tourism at this point, even if the tourists are vaccinated, and have had numerous Covid tests on their way there. We'll have to reevaluate whether we want to take our upcoming cruise. If we don't take that cruise, we will no longer consider French Polynesia for any future trips, and would not recommend it to others.

We live in Florida, and we have tourists who have been coming here throughout the pandemic. They have been bringing Covid with them, since many positive tests have been non-residents. We changed our lifestyle to avoid the tourists as much as possible, and were vaccinated as soon as it was available to us. It took a lot of phone and computer time to get appointments. Our shots gave us a small lump near the injection site that disappeared the next day. We are still careful to avoid crowded situations, and wear masks when a business requires it, or where others are not wearing masks and not giving us space.

If vaccines are available in French Polynesia, and I suspect Tahiti has them, then everyone who is eligible should get the vaccine. That's how the pandemic will be controlled, and lives will be saved, especially among the elderly, and those with other health problems. I'm sure hospital beds are always i short supply in Tahiti, but I would think most tourists would be paying for Covid evacuation insurance as we have for our trip since we would not want to take a hospital bed that a resident might need.

For some clarity.  Evacuation insurance first requires that you require hospitalization.  This means that a tourist will be taking up a hospital bed for the day or three days it takes to arrange for evacuation.  Some medevac agencies WILL NOT fly COVID positive patients or have extended their time frames for these types of patients so you need to make sure that your insurance will cover this properly. 

The reality is that if you have COVID and are sick (requiring hospitalization) that you will be taking up a critical resource.

This article is quite alarming.  I read the AP version, which seems identical.  They mention that Nuku Hiva has a very high vaccination rate, so I presume the vaccines are widely available.  I'm so sorry that this is happening in one of my favourite places in the world.

• Like 1

Local FP vaccination rates continue to increase, one shot vax now at 51%, and the high infection and ICU rates 'may' have hit it's peak, it seems to have stabilized, however this is in contrast to the French Parliament's debate about a November extension, which from what I can tell, has still not passed

So If your outlook is glass half full, while the cruising moratorium is likely to be extended to Oct 4th, there is increased hope things will open up again travel wise in the region, Oct forward 

However if your outlook is glass half empty, perhaps travelling to FP in Oct looks tricky, might be prudent to look at alternative dates, we are mid Oct, but already have backup plans over NYE and or in Jan 2022

Regardless fingers crossed that FP residents has seen the worst of this wave     

jc