Kim Sha v. Orient Beach, St. Maarten

JimnSuzie

Hello!  We have booked a cruise with RC for the end of January 2022.  We are going to book our excursions through the ship so if anything is cancelled due to Covid, we will be covered.  They have a shore excursion to Kim Sha Beach and one to Orient Beach.  Which is better beach and ocean wise?  Thank you!!

If we were visiting island for a day off a ship, we would choose Orient over Kim Sha.  Orient is much the better beach and water, in my opinion.  I would suggest that if what you will want is a beach day, you plan to take a taxi to Orient or perhaps Divi Little Bay (which I also think easy and better than Kim Sha).  If it turns out that only way you can get off ship is a ship's excursion, it is very likely that you will be able to jump on the ship's excursion bus for Orient.

23 hours ago, JimnSuzie said:

Hello!  We have booked a cruise with RC for the end of January 2022.  We are going to book our excursions through the ship so if anything is cancelled due to Covid, we will be covered.  They have a shore excursion to Kim Sha Beach and one to Orient Beach.  Which is better beach and ocean wise?  Thank you!!

Orient……..

Kim Sha beach is in the centre of condo land and the best located sun beds on the beach are grabbed before you’ve left the ship, leaving the rear ranks. But the ship will have a sun bed  clause “subject to availability”

But behind Kim Sha is a main road with bars, restaurants, supermarkets and an excellent liquor store “Boozeitup” and selling fine cigars etc.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Boozeitup

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at Orient, but friends are doing Kim. Royal tour doing just beach only at beach for 2 hours. 
Would like to taxi with friends to Orient and spend 3 1/2 to 4 hours on beach. I assume beach chairs and umbrellas are available to rent. Have never liked the lunches offered, nor trusted them. Just me. So the 3 1/2 hour Royal tour figures lunch. Do not know why only 2 hours if you do not want lunch.

On 9/22/2021 at 12:12 AM, tallcva3344 said:

Looking at Orient, but friends are doing Kim. Royal tour doing just beach only at beach for 2 hours. 
Would like to taxi with friends to Orient and spend 3 1/2 to 4 hours on beach. I assume beach chairs and umbrellas are available to rent. Have never liked the lunches offered, nor trusted them. Just me. So the 3 1/2 hour Royal tour figures lunch. Do not know why only 2 hours if you do not want lunch.

We just got back from Allure on Sunday.  We took a taxi to Orient, $25  each way. Easy to get chairs and an umbrella, $20 for 2 chairs & umbrella.  4 or 5 beach bars selling food and drinks.  Great day.

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, bac513 said:

Is there a seaweed issue at Orient Beach?

Dependent on weather conditions, every beach in the Caribbean can suffer from Seaweed.  Seaweed could be a problem during hurricane season, as a guide August to November.

On 10/11/2021 at 7:34 PM, bac513 said:

Is there a seaweed issue at Orient Beach?

There was some seaweed on parts of the beach at Orient but the water was clear the day we were there.  It varies from day to day, week to week but that is true for any beach in the Caribbean.

Sherri🙂

6 hours ago, sjb317 said:

There was some seaweed on parts of the beach at Orient but the water was clear the day we were there.  It varies from day to day, week to week but that is true for any beach in the Caribbean.

Sherri🙂

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 5:21 PM, sjb317 said:

We just got back from Allure on Sunday.  We took a taxi to Orient, $25  each way. Easy to get chairs and an umbrella, $20 for 2 chairs & umbrella.  4 or 5 beach bars selling food and drinks.  Great day.

Sherri🙂

Will the taxi take 4 people for 25 bucks? or is it 25pp?

52 minutes ago, volk904 said:

Any problem getting a cab to return?  

No problem, but your outward driver will be happy for you to book for the return.  Just give them your required time.  They actually arrive early to give the pax peace of mind.

• Like 1