Celebrity no longer using Venice Port?

sunlover33

• 4 months later...

I booked the West Mediterranean embarking Ravenna July 21, 2022 and disembarking Barcelona July 30, 2022.  I called Celebrity for a transfer from Venice airport  to Ravenna and was refused a transfer because our Air France flight arrives  July 21, 2022 at 2:15, and their last pickup is 1pm.  I explained to them that before I paid my Air France trip I tried calling them twice to see is this arrival was OK for a pickup, but the hold was so long that I gave up.   I know, I know should have arrived earlier but our schedule did not allow it. Bologna would not have worked for us flying back to Los Angeles.  

I am just wondering what others have done.  A private transfer is about 340 Euros.

7 minutes ago, Klagenicht said:

I booked the West Mediterranean embarking Ravenna July 21, 2022 and disembarking Barcelona July 30, 2022.  I called Celebrity for a transfer from Venice airport  to Ravenna and was refused a transfer because our Air France flight arrives  July 21, 2022 at 2:15, and their last pickup is 1pm.  I explained to them that before I paid my Air France trip I tried calling them twice to see is this arrival was OK for a pickup, but the hold was so long that I gave up.   I know, I know should have arrived earlier but our schedule did not allow it. Bologna would not have worked for us flying back to Los Angeles.  

I am just wondering what others have done.  A private transfer is about 340 Euros.

Check your cruise roll call, you may find someone in the same predicament 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Klagenicht said:

At this point you have about no choice but to get a private transfer. It is a 2 hour or more drive to Ravenna from VCE. What time is you cruise departing? By the time you get your luggage and get on a transport you may not be in Ravenna before 5pm or later. If your flight to VCE is delayed for any reason you have even more issues. You are probably connecting in Paris with Air France and with all the current airport problems in Europe there is real chance you will not be in Venice by 2:15. 

Edited by terrydtx

38 minutes ago, Klagenicht said:

to see is this arrival was OK for a pickup

This is the benefit of doing mock bookings using Flights By Celebrity.  It will only show those with times that coordinate correctly with ship departure/arrival.

1 hour ago, Klagenicht said:

Do the math.  Ifcyour flight is not delayed, cancelled or time changed you should arrive in front of the terminal about 3pm.  It is AT LEAST a 2 hour drive so 5pm possibly.  You need to start checkin by 5:30.

Certainly will be a challenge with so much beyond your control.

I used to fly into Venice on a weekly basis for business, it is not a destination where I'd ever plan to fly in on the afternoon of a cruise departure day.

Personally I'd be trying to change the flights, there is a reason Celebrity have the last pickup at 1pm...

5 hours ago, Klagenicht said:

There’s a reason why Celebrity’s latest airport transfer is 1pm ! If there is any way you can reschedule your flight I would do so. Ravenna is around 230km from Venice Marco Polo, you are looking at 2 1/2 hours door to door by car assuming no traffic hold ups. Flights and airports in Europe are chaotic at best and hundreds of flights across Europe are being cancelled every day. If your connecting flight is delayed or cancelled it will be impossible to get to Ravenna on the same day for embarkation 

Even if your flight lands on time at 2.15pm you could have an hour + to get your luggage as airports are struggling with lower staff numbers and you still have to get to a private transfer …… at best you could get to Ravenna between 5.30 to 6.00pm if there are no delays or flight cancellations.

If you can’t change your flights I would suggest you look at plan B if your flights are delayed or cancelled on how you get from Venice to Split (or Ravenna to Split if you get to port but too late to board) 

That is an even longer and more expensive to get to compared to Ravenna - you are putting a huge amount of pressure on yourself and you have zero wiggle room if any delays to your same day arrival.

if you can change your flights to an earlier flight into Venice or arrive the day before you give yourself a much better chance of actually getting your cruise.

Not just X, others too. It's somewhat misleading the use the description Venice ( Ravenna), when Ravenna is several hours away. Rome ( Civitavecchia ), London ( Southampton) fit the bill as well

It looks like you cruise departure from Ravenna is at 7pm, which means you have to be boarded by 6pm, which seems unlikely with your late flight and transport to the port. Since you did not use Celebrity supplied air, they ship will not wait for you to arrive. You need to find a way for Air France or Delta to get you to Venice earlier in the day, preferably before noon. Good luck, you are going to need it at this late date.

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Not just X, others too. It's somewhat misleading the use the description Venice ( Ravenna), when Ravenna is several hours away. Rome ( Civitavecchia ), London ( Southampton) fit the bill as well

Our Aug 21 HAL cruise sails from Trieste but still shows as Venice, but we arrive in Venice 3 days before we sail and have a private transport to Trieste.

16 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I suppose one may consider it misleading if all they do is click or call and pay for the cruise.  Perhaps a little research on each of the ports before doing so may provide a bit of clarification and give one a better understanding.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I suppose one may consider it misleading if all they do is click or call and pay for the cruise.  Perhaps a little research on each of the ports before doing so may provide a bit of clarification and give one a better understanding.

Agreed.  It isn't like Rome hasn't been landlocked for its entire known existence.

You guys are all correct.  I should have booked an earlier flight and will see if I can change to 20th.  Today  I actually talked to Celebrity again and found out more information I did not have before.  I cannot even get a transfer from the ship in Barcelona to the airport because I did not book my flight with them.  This I have never had with the 5 other cruise lines we have used in the past.  Actually I was planning to take a taxi anyway, but just thought I would ask.

9 minutes ago, Klagenicht said:

You guys are all correct.  I should have booked an earlier flight and will see if I can change to 20th.  Today  I actually talked to Celebrity again and found out more information I did not have before.  I cannot even get a transfer from the ship in Barcelona to the airport because I did not book my flight with them.  This I have never had with the 5 other cruise lines we have used in the past.  Actually I was planning to take a taxi anyway, but just thought I would ask.

Good move if you can move the flights to the 20th. In Barcelona the airport and cruise port are not that far away from each other.  We have bought transfers from Celebrity Guest relations onboard when we didn't buy their air, its a good way to use some OBC that is left over.  My other experience is for 2 people a taxi or Uber is cheaper than buying 2 Celebrity transfers. Good luck with the flight changes. Last year in Fort Lauderdale, Celebrity wanted $16pp for a transfer, an Uber was $24 with tip.

Edited by terrydtx