Home Test Kit Option?

Neverlookback

An article popped up in my notifications showing a new home test kit approved by Carnival for $70.  Interesting and looks like a great option if acceptable to Seabourn also.  I did some further online research and saw nothing official from Seabourn, but Seabourn was mentioned in the articles..  I also found a YouTube video where the person is using the home test kit with the Emed Procedure.  Looking at the Abbott BinaxNOW tests YouTube videos it appears the test kits are the same, but the Emed component is someone online watching you administer the test.  Watching the example you can hear the person online and she is reading from a script and just verifying you are following directions and not cheating the test by watching you.  If you follow the test procedure properly and show a negative test result, they immediately send you a digital certificate showing you are negative which is supposedly good for travel.  As a side note, my wife is filipino and we can tell from the Emed person's voice that she is filipino and most likely working from a call center in the Philippines.  Again, the process is not working with a medical person, but just a third party confirming you are following the directions properly and not cheating.  The process seems like a great idea to facilitate getting testing prior to showing up for embarkation.

Would be great if Seabourn would provide further information and clarity.  We are traveling Oct 9th on the Ovation and this would be extremely helpful to do from home and eliminate stress of doing at the airport or elsewhere.

Has anyone heard anything additional specific to Seabourn?

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-provides-home-test-kit-option/56039

I don't think it's a matter of acceptability to Seabourn, it's a matter of acceptability for the country you're traveling to. For instance, for the Odyssey cruises from Barbados, these home tests are explicitly not accepted by Barbados for entry; they have detailed information about the specific type of PCR test they require. And Seabourn performs a rapid antigen test at the cruise port before allowing you to board. 

For your cruise, you need to check the current requirements for entry into Greece. If you read the Seabourn FAQ page on travel to Greece, I think it contains answers to your questions. Since the requirements are for a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT), I don't believe any home test kits where you get your own results would qualify.

The various choices are still confusing for me.  I search the Abbott BinaxNow website and can't find specific info on whether it's antigen or PCR.  Only that it's approved for providing proof when traveling although not specific which ones.  Not sure why Seabourn would have different requirements for sailing from Athens vs Miami.  I have not seen where Greece added requirements from our cruise in July.  I believe it's Seabourn that has added the additional PCR requirement along with other cruise lines based upon the Delta variant.  Hoping for more clarity from my TA.

No home test kit is a PCR test; a PCR test requires labs equipment for processing. (There may be some test kits where you swab at home and then send the sample to a lab for processing, but I don't think that's the type you're asking about.)

17 hours ago, cruiseej said:

No home test kit is a PCR test; a PCR test requires labs equipment for processing. (There may be some test kits where you swab at home and then send the sample to a lab for processing, but I don't think that's the type you're asking about.)

Correct.  Many countries require RT-PCR  tests administered by a health professional.  Airlines also have requirements to get on international flights.  Seabourn says you need a PCR test, I'm not sure which one.  Its constantly changing, very confusing and hard to comply with in many circumstances. 

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/health-safety.html

Hawaii's current rule is no test if you are vaccinated, that's where we are going.  😁

We are on the Oct 16 sailing from Rome. I really do not understand Seabourn’s insistence on a PCR test 3 days prior to embarkation. The antigen test is good enough to gain entry into Italy and also acceptable to return to USA. In addition, the test administered at checkin for embarkation by Seabourn is also the antigen test. The inconsistency is very frustrating. We are spending a few days prior in Rome and I found that antigen tests are readily available and cheap whereas PcR tests are harder to find and much more expensive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, poolma said:

We are on the Oct 16 sailing from Rome. I really do not understand Seabourn’s insistence on a PCR test 3 days prior to embarkation. The antigen test is good enough to gain entry into Italy and also acceptable to return to USA. In addition, the test administered at checkin for embarkation by Seabourn is also the antigen test. The inconsistency is very frustrating. We are spending a few days prior in Rome and I found that antigen tests are readily available and cheap whereas PcR tests are harder to find and much more expensive.

The safest bet is to book a PCR test in Rome on 14 or 15 October.

BTW its logical that cruise ships have more strict rules (i.e. PCR instead antigen) than airline companies. The reason is that all airplane passengers are obliged to wear face masks. On the cruise ship, passengers do not wear face masks and sit one next to other in restaurants or bars for long time daily. 

You can not set the same consistent rules everywhere.

From the Seabourn FAQ 

On 9/13/2021 at 5:45 PM, cruiseej said:

I don't think it's a matter of acceptability to Seabourn, it's a matter of acceptability for the country you're traveling to. For instance, for the Odyssey cruises from Barbados, these home tests are explicitly not accepted by Barbados for entry; they have detailed information about the specific type of PCR test they require. And Seabourn performs a rapid antigen test at the cruise port before allowing you to board. 

For your cruise, you need to check the current requirements for entry into Greece. If you read the Seabourn FAQ page on travel to Greece, I think it contains answers to your questions. Since the requirements are for a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT), I don't believe any home test kits where you get your own results would qualify.

The link provided in the comment was very helpful for us.  There is mention of Seabourn working with Quest Diagnostics with 1500 locations in the US.  I got on their website and they provide PCR testing within 1-2 days and apparently the testing is free if you provide your insurance information.  We live in a somewhat rural area and was pleased to see a Quest Diagnostics location about 10 minutes away.  We now have appointments for the Wednesday morning prior to our cruise that departs Saturday 10/9 from Athens.  This is much better for us as we now don't have to stress over the busy airport option of getting tested.  Thank you!