Mask policy for cruises to Panama canal and Carribean?

Rob-Bob

Has anyone seen what the current mask policy is on board a Panama canal cruise?  We are headed there in March and my wife does not want to go if we need to wear masks on board.

I know no one knows what it will be in March but wondered what it is today.  Is there any NCL ships doing the canal today?

9 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

Has anyone seen what the current mask policy is on board a Panama canal cruise?  We are headed there in March and my wife does not want to go if we need to wear masks on board.

I know no one knows what it will be in March but wondered what it is today.  Is there any NCL ships doing the canal today?

There are no NCL Panama Canal itineraries operating at this time. The first one is scheduled for November.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I would not think that the mask policies, while on the NCL ships, would vary because of port destinations/stops.   But then again, as you said, who knows what that will be next March.  At the moment, as I last heard, no masks on the ships.  

I believe I read that at some point Greece was requiring masks to be worn on Norwegian Jade Greek island cruises because the ships sailed primarily in their territorial waters, but I'm not 100% certain about that.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Panama could impose  a mask requirement while the ship is transiting the Canal because Panamanians employed by the Canal are on board during the transit.

Edit: this cruise Critic article confirms what I said about cruises on the Jade:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6380/

Once on, mask wearing was required at all times. (This might have been driven more by the Greek government than NCL, which in our pre-boarding documentation stated it would be a mask-less cruise).

This Fodor's article states that on all cruise lines' cruises in Greece masks are required in all public spaces:

https://www.fodors.com/world/europe/greece/experiences/news/interested-in-a-greek-cruise-this-summer-heres-everything-you-need-to-know

"

• Passengers and crews will be required to wear masks in all public spaces."
Edited by njhorseman

55 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I would not think that the mask policies, while on the NCL ships, would vary because of port destinations/stops.   But then again, as you said, who knows what that will be next March.  At the moment, as I last heard, no masks on the ships.  

It certainly does. Local laws drive requirements on the ships. 

Since there have not been any paid trips through the canal for first hand reports, the only guidance will what has been sent directly to those on that cruise.