Carnival Wifi & not turning airplane mode on

redsox1584

Hi all,

I just left on the Carnival Horizon today and I bought the Premium Wifi package. I connected to the ships wifi but forgot to turn on airplane mode.

I realized this after we had been out at sea for few hours. Has this happened to anyone before?  I am just wondering if I am going to get a huge cell phone bill now.  Totally my fault I completely forgot 🤦‍♀️ 

Edited by redsox1584

• redsox1584 changed the title to Carnival Wifi & not turning airplane mode on

I dont usually turn on airplane mode but I do turn off cellular data. I assume you didn't do that either. But as long as you didnt make phone calls , I don't think you will get a huge bill? Maybe if you have apps that do things automatically it will use cellular data not wifi. I can look online with my ATT account and see the usage, maybe you can check there if you have online account with your phone provider 

• Like 1

In February 2020, we were on Horizon and in our excitement on embarkation day, my husband did the very same thing! We turned airplane mode on that evening when we realized it (about 6pm) and we didn’t have any additional charges when we got the bill later that month. Now he wasn’t using his phone (left it in the room) so I’m not sure if that applies in your situation but hopefully this will give you a little peace of mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redsox1584 said:

Hi all,

I just left on the Carnival Horizon today and I bought the Premium Wifi package. I connected to the ships wifi but forgot to turn on airplane mode.

I realized this after we had been out at sea for few hours. Has this happened to anyone before?  I am just wondering if I am going to get a huge cell phone bill now.  Totally my fault I completely forgot 🤦‍♀️ 

If you didn't get any texts, calls or if your phone didn't do any auto updates, you should be ok.  The stories about the large bills (which are true) are for people using data for days not a couple of hours.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pinto18 said:

I dont usually turn on airplane mode but I do turn off cellular data. I assume you didn't do that either. But as long as you didnt make phone calls , I don't think you will get a huge bill? Maybe if you have apps that do things automatically it will use cellular data not wifi. I can look online with my ATT account and see the usage, maybe you can check there if you have online account with your phone provider 

I didn’t turn off the cellular data either. I have AT&T as well. I did try logging into my account but it wanted to text me a verification code. 

1 hour ago, blueskadoo said:

In February 2020, we were on Horizon and in our excitement on embarkation day, my husband did the very same thing! We turned airplane mode on that evening when we realized it (about 6pm) and we didn’t have any additional charges when we got the bill later that month. Now he wasn’t using his phone (left it in the room) so I’m not sure if that applies in your situation but hopefully this will give you a little peace of mind. 

I think I was so excited and couldn’t believe I was actually on a ship I completely forgot!  I wasn’t using my phone so hopefully there won’t be charges

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

If you didn't get any texts, calls or if your phone didn't do any auto updates, you should be ok.  The stories about the large bills (which are true) are for people using data for days not a couple of hours.  

I’m glad I realized it after a couple of hours!

• Like 1

I was at Melia in Nassau for the day a few years ago.  I thought that I was using their WiFi. When I got home I had a huge bill. 

I had AT&T. I called and explained what happened and asked if they would remove the charge and they did.  If you have a good history with your provider, it’s worth trying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, audcc77 said:

I was at Melia in Nassau for the day a few years ago.  I thought that I was using their WiFi. When I got home I had a huge bill. 

I had AT&T. I called and explained what happened and asked if they would remove the charge and they did.  If you have a good history with your provider, it’s worth trying. 

thank you! I will try that if I do get a big bill

• Like 1

Same thing happened to my wife in 2019 with AT&T.  She bought a 1-day roaming package while on a Caribbean island.  Forgot to turn off data when back on the ship.  She got a text notification later that evening indicating her roaming usage was going over $100.  We immediately turned off data.  Had to call AT&T twice to get the charges removed.  I think they retroactively put us on a cheaper roaming package but there was some cost.  I am now responsible for reminding her 😂