Request for Advice on port of Roatan--On the NCL Joy End of November 2021

Sthrngary

Hello folks.  In 2019, I was on the NCL Getaway and we stopped at Roatan.  For what ever reason, the NCL Getaway had to Tender to Roatan.  Let's say the organization was not the best.  We did the "All-Inclusive Over the Water Bungalow".  It was memorable however, "Been there, Done That!"  So please educate me on:

1. Does NCL dock now or do they still Tender?
  2. Can you simply get off the ship and take a short walk to a nice beach, food and drink?
  3. What would your advice be that won't take us to the other side of the island.

I promise we will appreciate and utilize your advice.  Thank you all and have a great upcoming cruise.  

We've been there twice, once on Sun (2008) and the other aboard Getaway (2017).  Both times we tied up at the pier.  The area around the pier was much more built up in 2017, with lots more tourist trap shops and Senor Frog type places.  On the Sun cruise we did the the Jolly Roger Catamaran snorkeling trip, which we caught just north of the port but which took us to the West Bay side.  It was a good excursion.  in 2017 we went to Little French Key which is about 14 miles northeast of the port on the same coast.  Snorkeling, lunch, and beach were part of the excursion, and it was nice.  We did both through the ship but LFK does offer outings you can directly book through them on their website.  You'd need to get a taxi there.  I just don't recall any beach within walking distance of the port.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

If you happen to be a cigar smoker, I highly recommend the folks right there at the pier.  BTW, each time I've been there (2 or 3), we've docked

I absolutely smoke cigars.  Thank you about letting me know about the docking.  Be well. 

6 hours ago, Carnac767 said:

We've been there twice, once on Sun (2008) and the other aboard Getaway (2017).  Both times we tied up at the pier.  The area around the pier was much more built up in 2017, with lots more tourist trap shops and Senor Frog type places.  On the Sun cruise we did the the Jolly Roger Catamaran snorkeling trip, which we caught just north of the port but which took us to the West Bay side.  It was a good excursion.  in 2017 we went to Little French Key which is about 14 miles northeast of the port on the same coast.  Snorkeling, lunch, and beach were part of the excursion, and it was nice.  We did both through the ship but LFK does offer outings you can directly book through them on their website.  You'd need to get a taxi there.  I just don't recall any beach within walking distance of the port.

Thank you.  I have not done a Catamaran in years.  Good idea.  They still do it by the way.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sthrngary said:
  1. Does NCL dock now or do they still Tender?
  2. Can you simply get off the ship and take a short walk to a nice beach, food and drink?
  3. What would your advice be that won't take us to the other side of the island.

1. I was just in Roatan at the beginning of September on The Gem. We did not tender.

2. The port has plenty of food and drink vendors right there. Beach is not far.

3. I loved the other side of the island personally, but definitely lots to do no matter what you choose. I booked with Victor Bodden from the advice here on CC. A private tour with a vaccinated guide was only $45/person. I wrote a review if you look at my previous posts. I need to post reviews on the port board itself. An awesome day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Single most unique thing to do in Roatan - Steel Pan Alley http://steelpanalley.org/

Learn to play steel drums with some local kids at a school set up to promote their learning island instruments.  In our 2 hours there, we learned 3 songs.  DW had never played a musical note in her life and loved the experience.

• Like 1