Clean house before you leave?

flashdog_1

Does anyone else make sure that his/her house is totally in order before leaving for the cruise, so that upon arrival back at home you will have a comfortable feeling instead of "look at this mess. Oh, there's that thing I was looking for all during the cruise." etc.

Yes. And I thought it was only us. :D Leaving for vacation is always an excuse to clean house.

What a fantastic idea Ginny (shipping home the stuff you don't want to use immediately) - can you put in some details about how you go about that? I'm thinking of going on a trip with a friend but I'm physically LESS capable than last time I sailed with no liklihood of improving and always on the look out for finding easier and better ways to do things so that I can still participate in life.

Cheers,

Curleygirl

Does anyone else make sure that his/her house is totally in order before leaving for the cruise, so that upon arrival back at home you will have a comfortable feeling instead of "look at this mess. Oh, there's that thing I was looking for all during the cruise." etc.

Yes, anytime we go on vacation we do a complete cleaning of the house. It has become a ritual.

• 2 weeks later...

Day to day my house is in various degrees of chaos, but when we go out of town I clean like I'm having company.I usually stay up late the day before we fly out cleaning, doing that lst load of laundry etc after everyone has gone to bed and gotten out of my hair. This trip is our FIRST in which I'll be off work for the summer (teacher) when we go. We always have gone over breaks with us leaving on my first day off and coming hime the evening before going back to work. So this time I should be good and ready to go. Shouldn't have to stay up late.

YES, YES, YES, I am cleaning as we speak for our cruise that leaves on Monday. Then before we leave on Sunday, I will vacuum and straighten up, almost as we are walking out the front door. I would hate to come home to a messy house and would add to my post-cruise let down.

I learned my lesson the hard way.

Years ago, I remember leaving to go camping in the middle of summer. When we returned, our house (having had the air conditioner turned off for a week) was hot, stuffy, and messy!

What a miserable way to come home. So I learned that you really need to have it clean when you leave so you have a blank slate to work with as you try and re-integrate yourself into normal life.

My past few vacations, I had everything cleaned: all beds made, vacuumed, all dishes put up out of the dishwasher and all laundry done and put away. It is soo much nicer that way!

My biggest problem going on this cruise is my extremely messy 24 YO son will be living there when we are gone - and out to a concert the day we return. I have threatened him, promised to throw him out, etc. My big hope is he doesn't disappoint us by making our clean house a mess!! I have even told him to just stay out of most of the rooms and make his cleaning less. Maybe he'll have his GF come and help clean up. I would hate to come home to a messy house - it is so sad!!

My biggest problem going on this cruise is my extremely messy 24 YO son will be living there when we are gone - and out to a concert the day we return. I have threatened him, promised to throw him out, etc. My big hope is he doesn't disappoint us by making our clean house a mess!! I have even told him to just stay out of most of the rooms and make his cleaning less. Maybe he'll have his GF come and help clean up. I would hate to come home to a messy house - it is so sad!!

You could always throw him out before you go on your cruise to prevent the issue from occuring? LOL. Perhaps change the locks the day you leave and set the new alarm code? LOL. JK. I'm sure he's responsible enough to have the decency to clean and pick up after himself. Perhaps have a chat with his gf to see if she may remember to help.

Good luck!

I definitely clean house like a mad woman the night before we leave for any vacation. I have the dogs shipped off to the sitter that afternoon and I can get started w/ cleaning after they leave.

Unfortunate side of the house being cleaned is when we come back the AC will be around mid 80's. ANd, right now summer temps already arrived at nearly 105 daily. So hot house does not make a pleasant home coming as well. But, I will take a clean house over hot house any day!

• 1 month later...

I rack my wifes nerves with the house need to be clean to go on vacation. All beds need to made with clean sheets, floors clean, trash emptied, all dishes put up (including the ones in the dish washer), and yard is cut and clean. I go as far to make sure tvs, dvd, etc is unpluged. the car is spotless also.

I rack my wifes nerves with the house need to be clean to go on vacation. All beds need to made with clean sheets, floors clean, trash emptied, all dishes put up (including the ones in the dish washer), and yard is cut and clean. I go as far to make sure tvs, dvd, etc is unpluged. the car is spotless also.

I bet all the women are wondering the same thing I am.

I always clean the entire house and wash before leaving so that upon return, I find everything tidy. It's funny how happy we are in the simplified feel of a hotel or cruise ship. Where all the surfaces are clutter free only to find that is not the case upon our return home. I just don't like coming back to an empty fridge and have to go buy necesities at the market on the first night like milk, eggs, ham, cheese, bread... you know, stuff that may go bad while we're away. And it's bad enough we have to wash all that clothes. UGH!!!

Archived