Clean house before you leave?

flashdog_1

Well, I guess it would not be the worse thing you could come home to, but I sure home the housecleaning fairy visits you before you get home. The new paint will be nice but it sure will get you out of vacation mode fast:(

Yes, I've given the "losing the vacation glow" a lot of thought. I'm such a big nut I'm thinking of coming home and staying at a hotel until the weekend--I get home on a Mon, don't return to work until Thur. That way although I would still be coming home to the same situation, it could be folded into the regular weekend house cleaning. Like I said, I'm a big nut. LOL O.K., I'm not going to think about coming home, especially since I haven't even left yet! I'm going to live in denial until I walk back through the door! What a surprise it will be. LOL

Absolutely! Its nice to come home to clean linens on the bed, clean towels in the bathroom and an empty laundry hamper. Although it gets filled pretty fast! We also eat out that evening and the next morning. We have to get back into the swing of it slowly!:D

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels compelled to clean before vacation. I just keep thinking...what if something happened & someone had to get into my house. I'd hate to have them see it anyway but clean. The other year I had central air installed in my house while I was on my cruise & knew I'd have to clean when I came home, but I still cleaned before I left. I may be crazy for doing it, but at least I know I'm not alone :D

Bonnie

Yes, I'm another who has to have everything clean when we return. If you have clean sheets on the bed abd clean towels in the bathroom, you can pretend it's just another hotel and extend the vacation a bit! A casserole in the freezer is a good idea too, just in case you are coming from far away and have a bit of jet lag.:o

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who cleans before I leave town. My cruise is in three weeks, and I plan on cleaning Friday night, finish packing Saturday and that Sunday I will leave for the cruise. I like coming home to a clean house. :)

• 1 year later...

Yes, it drives my FH CRAZY that at 1am the morning of the cruise I am mopping! But when we walk in, tired and world weary, he always says "WOW! It smells good in here!" (just like in the Pine-Sol commercials)

I cannot leave on any trip of more than 48hrs without a total clean down of the house.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't do that, but my house keeper comes in the day before we arrive home and makes sure the house is ready for us.

Now, this is the way to clean house!

Seriously, I make do my "big" cleanings prior to any vacation! House must be spotless prior to leaving!:)

PS: it is well kept most all times, but spotless prior to vaca's

uuuuuuuuughhhhhhhh i am so jealous of all of you...i cleaned my room before i left but when i came home my house was TRASHED...my roommate is disgusting. She missed trash day TWICE and we got home the day after the second one...meaning there was a whole week until the next time the trash guys came. We pay for our trash service too so it was just such a waste. i was so mad!! She didn't run the dishwasher ONCE - we were gone for 9 days!! eeeeeeeeergghhhhh. :mad:

at least my dog was alive...

Another clean before I leave cruiser here.........but for my last cruise my sister was going to be staying at my house taking care of the kitty's...since she was a little short on cash I asked if she'd clean house while I was gone & I'd pay her...so she did... WOWW was it ever nice walking into a nice clean house that I didn't have to kill myself getting that way......I think I will continue this for future vacations........:D

Yes, it drives my FH CRAZY that at 1am the morning of the cruise I am mopping! But when we walk in, tired and world weary, he always says "WOW! It smells good in here!" (just like in the Pine-Sol commercials)

I cannot leave on any trip of more than 48hrs without a total clean down of the house.

I am right there with you:)

Wife cleans like crazy before the cruise..............then one of the kids usually comes over while we are gone.................and things aren't the same as we left it..............I told her we should leave the house really nasty one time, and maybe they'll feel sorry for us and clean.............

Wife cleans like crazy before the cruise..............then one of the kids usually comes over while we are gone.................and things aren't the same as we left it..............I told her we should leave the house really nasty one time, and maybe they'll feel sorry for us and clean.............

That's pretty funny,

I insist that our house be nice and clean before we leave for our vacation, coming back from a wonderful week in the Caribbean is dispressing enough but coming home to a unkempt house would really bee too much. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I always leave our house spotless when we walk out the door & head to the airport. Every piece of laundry is washed & put away. Floors vacuumed & washed. When you open those doors to your home and everything is in its place it's a nice welcoming feeling. So now your house is all set for the explosion of laundry and souvenirs about to be strewn all over your nice clean house. It might sound crazy to some but it's just the way I do things. Sounds like many others do the same.:)

Gosh, you guys! I leave the house clean when I go to work in the morning--just as clean as I leave it when I go on vacation. The only difference is cleaning out the refrigerator of perishables and being sure the trash cans are emptied. I want that same feeling when I get home from work as I do when I come home from a trip!!

I went to a friend's house one day while she was on a trip to Scotland--what a pigpen! Bathroom drawers open and everything falling out, complete chaos in every room, kitchen with dirty dishes in the sink--YUCK! How do people (and I am talking otherwise responsible, functional adults) live like that???

I always clean my house spotless so that when I come home exhausted from a long flight, I don't have to do anything but shower and slip into a nice clean bed.

However, this summer I housesat for a friend who left for a cruise and was totally SHOCKED that when I walked in and found it a complete mess including their half eaten breakfast still sitting on the table; And they had plenty of time in the morning as they didn't leave until 7:30 am to have least picked up. After that I took what I needed for the pets and never walked in again as I didn't want to see what it ended up looking like after 10 days. :eek:

Archived